• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Best production buildings?

DeletedUser

The fruit farm can pump out quite a bit per hour, but it is not efficient space wise. The blacksmith has a low output but it is only a 2x2 structure. Supplies seem to be scarce compared to gold so I'm going with the fruit farm despite its 5x4 size.

What do people think and what did you decide to go with?

DeletedUser10135

It depends a lot on how available you are. If you can collect frequently potteries are a good choice. Collect every 5 minutes would give you the best income, or try every 15mins if you can't.
Of course, when you have space enough it's good to mix long productions buildings which produces quite a lot with short productions to be collected often

DeletedUser5026

Hey benjaminmckay,

Personally, I determine the best production building by 2 factors, the space and population requirements.

Example 1: Fruit Farm
130 supplies/hour
20 squares or spaces
50 population
Efficiency = 130 divided by 20 divided by 50 = 0.13 supplies per hour per space per pop

Example 2: Blacksmith
32 supplies/hour
4 squares or space
12 population
Efficiency = 32 divided by 4 divided by 12 = 0.67 supplies per space per pop

Hence, the Blacksmith is more efficient than the fruit farm. However, this only takes into account the space occupied by the production buildings themselves, and not the houses required to house the population that is required for the production building. Perhaps I will edit my post later to include further explanation.

Also, do note that big and small (in terms of space) buildings have their pros and cons. For big production buildings, you don't have to set as many times, so it is more easy when you're doing 5 minute runs. The downside is, if you're plundered, you lose quite a fair bit. For small production buildings, it might be a hassle to keep setting them individually, but if you are plundered, you only lose a small fraction.

Cheers,
L.R.

DeletedUser

As far as plundering goes, I think it can be hedged by setting up a good timing system. For example, before you log off to go to bed you can produce an 8 hour item such as melons for the fruit farm. You know you will be getting up in 7-8 hours so when you get up you can log in and collect the supplies from the fruit farm. Sure people may plunder coins, but that isn't as big of a deal as supplies. I feel like the fruit farm is the better way to go, especially if you have optimized the space in your city. Your right about having to set and collect for many 2x2 blacksmiths. It seems like a pain. I feel like the fruit farm is worth the space...

Thanks for your insights!

DeletedUser

In addition you should think about the required roads aswell. Having a larger production building at the edge of your town saves you from building roads all the way to the edges, whereas using Blacksmiths to cover the same space would require more roads to be used. Personally I always prefer the bigger buildings where possible but fill the smaller gaps I have with smaller buildings :)

~Mutzena~

DeletedUser

For me, one of the main reasons to choose fruit farms over anything else that was available at the time was the motivation factor. Just take into consideration the difference - for example - of having your hourly supply of the fruit farm motivated (130 supplies/h) as to the hourly output of the blacksmith (32 supplies/h). This is ideal if you can rely on the fruit farm(s) being motivated more than once a day and to me it more than compensates for the 5x4 size of the building. :)
Of course everyone is different and therefore sees things differently. ;)

DeletedUser3157

I made a contribution to the following article in wich I calculated the production efficiency.

http://forgeofempires.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Supply_buildings#.E2.99.A6Efficiency.E2.99.A6

As you can see, newer buildings are more efficient and premium buildings rule!
And what kind of "efficiency" is per tile production divided with total population supposed to be? :P
That number will always be bigger for smaller buildings because one is per tile value and other is total. U need both per tile to get some sort of a number :)

DeletedUser4800

Fruit farms are better if you motivate your production, if you use polish going for more smaller ones is better.

Surge

Brigadier-General
Whenever I started new worlds, I always opted for the 2 Fruit Farm 5+ Blacksmith approach. It reeled in a lot of supplies until I invested in butchers and later shoemakers.

DeletedUser1032

Perhaps this will help a bit. Last two columns show 'production per square' and 'production per worker'.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvebRyr42xDrdFZLTl93T2JnMnJ0TENKNTdLUWxrM1E#gid=0

I usually try to go for the buildings that have best 'production per worker'. It means you get more production done with fewer workers, which allows you to build more production buildings. However, this will work only if you have enough space available in your city.

As far as plundering goes, join an active guild and send out a lot of 'friend' requests. Buildings that get motivated can't be plundered.

DeletedUser3157

Perhaps this will help a bit. Last two columns show 'production per square' and 'production per worker'.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvebRyr42xDrdFZLTl93T2JnMnJ0TENKNTdLUWxrM1E#gid=0

I usually try to go for the buildings that have best 'production per worker'. It means you get more production done with fewer workers, which allows you to build more production buildings. However, this will work only if you have enough space available in your city.

As far as plundering goes, join an active guild and send out a lot of 'friend' requests. Buildings that get motivated can't be plundered.

I usyally try go for supply buildings which have best production per tile, since the space is the actual limiting factor not population. I just count the population requirments within that math. For that I make a system of production building + road access it needs + how much house it needs + house much culturals that house needs for keeping enthusiastic with my average polished error margin. That way I get the footprint size of system of that production building. Then I add up supplies and coins I get out of that system and divide it with the size of that whole system. I end up with some sort of production per tile number I can compare, but even then I have to count for multiple outside factors like P/M and ratio of coins/supplies u get out and which u can use more. For example bigger buildings save a lot of P/M compard to smaller ones and if u cant get everything motivated every day, then that is a huge huge factor when deciding what to go after. And also coins/supplies ratio wise good example is garages vs lamps in PE. They get u rather even amount of total coins+supplies both out of their systems, but garages take so much less population their system produces much more supplies and less coins than lamps. So since I have more need for coins over supplies, I went with majority of lamps in my town instead.

DeletedUser

In the good old times I made no calculations, especially not the fancy ones like hints. I followed a simple set of rules:

1. Get coin/supply boosting GBs ASAP
2. maximize coin production (ask for motivate houses and try to get 90 pick ups from 8h houses trying to figure out when to activate S.Mark boost depending on time of the day when you have most motivations)
3. build the smallest supply building for the age and keep it on 24h productions - you will need them for repeating quests
4. save the FP packs won from the quests till you can discover the next age 24h production building and do the repeating quests again
5. after reaching the last age, build the biggest production building possible and set the production times according to your P/M count

DeletedUser

This doc is really helpful. Do you have one like this for houses as well?

BamBamIsGod

Private
But there is one more thing to be considered, how long does it take for the building to generate more than it cost to build?

So add the cost of coins and supply together. That is the cost of building then divide that by the output in your given time period. The smaller the number the faster the rate of return. Some buildings are so cheap to build that they can recover their construction costs in hours, some take a few days.

But of course larger production buildings benefit more from motivation. Can you trust people to motivate your larger buildings, guild mates of course should.

Surge

Brigadier-General
Well technically the supply cost of production buildings are specifically designed to be low to support the dual-dependency relationship between houses requiring a lot of supplies and producers requiring a lot of coins. Gauging the amount of time you'd need in order to pay off a production building's cost is difficult, but the simplest method is take the most efficient coin producer of that age, find the coin/square/hour value and multiply that by the amount of squares your producer occupies. An example would be two motels paying off an aircraft factory, which would take 126 collections from both, or a single motel requiring 252 collections, which is roughly 10.5 consecutive days of constant collections, compared to how the producer pays itself off in a mere 31 hours.