• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Best Guides

Surge

Brigadier-General
A pretty long time ago I created the thread that asked the forum goers which guides they considered the best. It was made to raise the mods' attention and to have something in the Best Guides section, as it was empty at the time. A bit later, a general all-in-one super basic guide linking and drawing from many existing guides that was made by Random was taken under a mod's responsibility for maintenance or whatever. The original was removed (I think), and a new one was made under a mod's name with all the information just as it was. It was promptly moved to the Best Guides section.

So months pass and nothing happens. Best Guides is still occupied by one guide, and that was posted by a mod. Now, GvG comes out, as much of a buggy mess as it is, and a new guide is created detailing the GvG feature, which was made by a Co Comm. It was also immediately moved under best guides.

There are a pretty good amount of guides which are really good made by the community. -Vanguard.- made a large guide detailing practically every statistic in the game up to Colonial Age and later released a guide presenting every single statistic on all GB's. His guides are still used to this day and garnered 71,000 and 41,000 views respectively. HaeckelHansi took everyone's attention with his military buildings and units guide, but that never went in Best Guides either. It scored the highest, eleven votes on my thread. It hit nearly 60,000 views, and the locked status doesn't change it's usefulness. Slygoxx's city planner (and fairly recently now a post completely on Forgestats.net, a great site showing stats on just about everything, even event items) was and still is a hot thing. It never made it to Best Guides, despite being used so many times.

Are we ever going to pick guides made by the community and mark the and move them as "Best Guides?" Or is it just an area for moderators to post official guides?

This is not meant to offend any moderator, it is just a strange occurrence that I noted...

DeletedUser97349

Hi Surge, thank you for your post. The Best Guides section is not intended solely for mod posts, though its worth noting that mods are also players so part of the community themselves ;). The issues raised in your post are currently being addressed, so improvements to this section will be forthcoming in the near future :).

DeletedUser

Many good solid posters have either moved on or been deterred from posting on the forums. It's very difficult and frustrating to make posts due to the way this forum is moderated. Some of them moved to other forums where a more lively environment exists. I think this ultimately affects the ideas and guides that originate from this forum.

This is why I think the best approach here is for moderators to come up with the guides and answer the questions for the players.

DeletedUser

In regards the best guide section, I agree there are several fantastic guides that are well utilised and over the next few weeks I plan on cleaning up and improving or updating the guides to make them easier to find and ensure their accuracy.

The best guides section is not limited only to content created by moderators, I have merely started with the GvG guide with the aim to include as many common questions (or rather the answers) and make it easier to navigate. Adding to the best guide section was in fact an after thought but it has prompted a review of the entire guide section.

DeletedUser

Yeah, we basically have to wait for the moderators to come up with material, otherwise we're stuck.

DeletedUser

Yeah, we basically have to wait for the moderators to come up with material, otherwise we're stuck.

Give them a bit of time to sort out what guides should be in the Best Guides section - it will happen, although it won't be instantaneous.