• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Best defense?

DeletedUser

I made a similar topic weeks ago when I was quite inexperienced, now after being attacked a few dozen times already I started to get the grip.
If i was to pick a good defense i would use something along the lines:
- 2 heavy cavalry (knights)
- 2 high quality light infantry (berserkers)
- 2 ranged (crossbows)
- 2 siege (catapults)

or remove infantry all together as it requires 3 turns to hit the enemy and just use 2 cavalry, 3 ranged and 3 siege.
Having more types of troops and different at that decreases the risk of having them ordering in a line or not shooting at all.

Let me know if you have a better idea and also provide details as to why youd pick it.

Cheers.

DeletedUser65

8 knights is the best defence in my opnion, as someone who attacks 90% of my hood mates its the 8 horsemen defence always does me the most damage and infact theres 2 players i no longer attack as i lose to many troops to justify the rewards

DeletedUser503

8 knights is the best defence in my opnion, as someone who attacks 90% of my hood mates its the 8 horsemen defence always does me the most damage and infact theres 2 players i no longer attack as i lose to many troops to justify the rewards

I've found 8 archery units to be the best defence. It's certainly the one I least like attacking as I know I'm going to take losses. The other best defence is nothing. Then the attacker only gets 240 points, and if you're careful, not a lot from your village.

DeletedUser

Archer units are easy prey if a person uses long range units to attack with so just them could be a issue.

The problem with 8 cavalry is in most cases having two buildings for them can be a waste of space / population as I never use them myself since cavalry tend to be under-powered for any use other then for defense.

I prefer to use 4-5 short range units and the rest your highest long range units for defense as I use those for attacking also and I am able to keep them alive in most of my attacks so with two long unit buildings and two short range buildings I can attack all day and and enough for defense at all times.

DeletedUser

Best defense is no defense at all :P granted you will lose all attacks and be plundered a few times but in the end you give little to no points to the attacker. If you are also a bit active then you can time your goods to finish only when you're online

DeletedUser2974

I agree with stefanceltare. if you are there to get your goods then don't put a defense, however, overnight your goods will most likely finish and you'll be vulnerable. So for those time I would recommend 4 short ranged and 4 long ranged. This is just a personal favorite of mine. Most people will, more or less, be too afraid to attack those, and those who are willing to attack it will at least lose a few units. As Stefan said though, it all depends on if you are fine with giving your opponent points. :P

~Ninga78234

DeletedUser503

I use either eight archers or four archers and heavy infantry types ( the slow ones). As people have mentioned, cavalry are a waste of space, the only ones worth having are the Knights at the end of the game. If I'm attacking ballista's, I rush them, the one thing it's worth having cavalry for.
However as I said earlier, the best def is no def and martialling resources, it's certainly the best way to get medals!

DeletedUser

No defense at all its all right if you have buildings that dont finish production in an hour, otherwise youll wake up with half of your houses plundered. Doesnt sound like the best option to me...
Also half ranged and half siege can be easily cleared by an army of the same types, first they clear the siege and then massacre the range while coming towards them. Again, not a very good option.
Id go with a variety of troops - heavy cavalry/ranged/siege or like farmerlynch said - 8 knights, the second option has the disadvantage that you have to build 2 buildings that you dont much use outside defense, so its rather costly.

DeletedUser

Hopefully they do something such as making a default defense based on the age the player is at to prevent people from using a low defense simply to give as little points as possible to the attackers or make the defense worth it by increasing the damage a person can do.

Maybe make it default to 2-4 infantry of the currant age you are in.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

No defense just to deny points is kinda lame, I always make sure to plunder those people everyday, and I wait for good stuff too, where as everyone else I just take whatever is there. I agree there should be an auto defense or a point bonus for attacking defenseless towns, but with the mergers it's kind of a non-issue as there are a ton of people to attack now.

PROTIP: Take the units you get from the quests and put them in defense. They never die and they don't take up any building space!

Oh, and as to the subject of the thread, fighting 8 horseman is brutal for sure, that's probably the best one. Even if you use all light infantry units you take heavy losses. The long range ones aren't so bad you can easily counter them with your own as the AI is very poor when it comes to those. Don't put mounted archers on defense as they sometimes don't shoot at all, they just run up and stand there waiting for you to kill them.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser503

PROTIP: Take the units you get from the quests and put them in defense. They never die and they don't take up any building space!

Love that, good idea! I've still got two mercanrys on one world that survive all the attacks they make, by luck

If they made a mandatory defence based on four units, your current Age, that would be a good idea. And then sort out the unit abilities. Heavy Cav will not get slaughtered by swords, only spears/ pikes. Archers are much better against light units or massed spears (no shields) than armoured swords, etc. It would be nice if you could adopt a defence mode for def troops such as 'defend' 'full attack' 'take all cover'. I wonder who designs the unit attributes. And why no chariots?

DeletedUser100074

It's ok untill you have someone that has watchfires...these make it unbalance and unfair

DeletedUser

a one and a half year old thread about some troops like cavalry and crossbows from one of the middle ages ... I was so young back then :D

DeletedUser100341

I'm in HMA and thought I had a pretty sound defense with monastery., but lost an attack to 7 trebuchets. The problem is the AI is pretty dumb. I watched the attack and noticed that my units moved sideways or crisscrossed to take advantage of terrain bonus but took to long to get across the field. The trebuchets just picked them off one by one. There should be a rush option to force the AI to advance more quickly.

DeletedUser

Hi Wiz, would it be possible to know what units you had in your defense? It would be great to share this with others to have a full picture of the battle so maybe we can learn from your experience? ;)

There's a whole lot of other stuff to take into consideration when we analyse battles, not just blame it all ont he AI but think about the watchfires, the terrain bonuses, the attack bonuses, the dug in, chivalry or other last standing unit bonuses, the composition of the armies, GB inputs.. I'm not saying it's rocket science either but I guess proper discussions on strategies, "best" unit combinations etc is no longer relevant if not including these influences at all times.

Cheerio!

DeletedUser7719

Most likely 8 berserkers (or any sort of 8 light melee units) by the description of the battle

DeletedUser100341

Most likely 8 berserkers (or any sort of 8 light melee units) by the description of the battle

@byeordie your close. 4 berserkers, 4 heavy infantry. The heavy infantry advanced and was picked off first. The berserkers actually moved sideways to find the closest forest so they didn't advance quick enough.

DeletedUser2989

I doubt there is a "best defense" given the current state of the AI and the attack/defense buffs. In fact it's pretty much come down to who has the better buff which I'm not so much a fan of.

As to what happened to TheWizEd I can relate to that, light units seem to be too attracted to trees when they should be moving forward to attack. In the PE I had some conscripts (I know they get a bonus in trenches/entrenchments) along with at least one of all the rest. Snipers and Tanks proved to be the most useful as the fast units ran off first and got shot to death without the attacker having to move. The long ranged units kept targeting ranged units (which in ages below PE isn't that bad) but with the enemy snipers in trees they were not causing any damage. The conscripts found the closest trench and sat there, hopping out 1 by 1 to die 1 by 1.

I've found as they start to play with new units they are either very useful in defense or useless in defense, even if they are defending against something they should be able to own (eg. 8 conscripts defending against 8 rapid fire cannons).