• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Battles versus Negotiating

DeletedUser

Taking into account the 'goal' of conquering the map and maxing out the tech tree.

I'm wondering if it's more efficient to do one or the other. At the end of the day both military buildings and goods buildings take up space, is it more efficient to do one or the other or both?

The negotiating part is straightforward, you lose goods in return for gaining a sector.

What confuses me is the battles part, assuming I attack and win, I gain a sector too without spending the goods. But I get these battle points as well. Exactly what can I do with these battle points. Somehow I managed to get some medals as well, so far I know that I can use medals (instead of gold) for expansion slots. Is there any other use for these medals?

Any comments / answers would be appreciated, Thanks.

DeletedUser

Hey Pembar,

The medals are solely used for Medal Expansions at the moment. And Battle Points merely show you how many points you've gotten from that battle and are used for the Tower Tournaments you're automatically competing at. If you search for "Tournament" or use Pendragon's amazing FAQ or the Guides Section of the Forums, you can find out more on that.

Also, battle points / 50 = Town Ranking gain. So there is that too.

Using goods gets you sectors faster probably, because battles tend to make you lose units. Which you have to rebuild and spend resources on. But it all depends on playstyle.

- L

DeletedUser

Thank you for the reply Lodroth. Am I right to say that Medal Expansions can also be bought using gold? (From the last time I had an expansion I think there's an option to pay either in Medals or in Gold).

Sounds like it's more efficient to sack all my military buildings and use the space for goods buildings instead. If battle points don't do anything other than an e-peen representation, I rather get more goods, or even gold since I can buy forge points / research with gold.

DeletedUser

You have 3 options to buy Expansions.
The first option is unlocked through the Tech Tree or conquering Provinces and can only be bought with Coins or diamonds.
The second option is unlocked through Medal from the PvP Tournaments and can only be bought with Medals.
The third option can only be bought with diamonds. Diamond Expansions are two per Age.

If you do not care about Medal Expansions or Town Rating, then Battle Points are the least important feat for you, yes.
Although, sometimes battling instead of negotiating can leave you with some additional trading goods you wouldn't have to spend. :)

- L

DeletedUser

Is there a limit to the number of expansions one can get?

Sounds like medals, which are only issued once a week, are more trouble than they are worth. Maybe I'll worry about it later when more medals are awarded per week at the later ages.

Thanks much, I think I'll just sack my military buildings.

DeletedUser

The complete grid is 10x10 Expansions.
You start with 4x4, so that leaves 84 Expansions.
10 of which are Diamond Expansions and another 10 which are Medal Expansions.

- L

DeletedUser

jeez, that sounds like a lot of space. 10x10 expansions = 100 expansions = 1600 squares? Ignoring roads and all that, that's 400 huts!

DeletedUser

Yep indeed, but the price for each 'Coin Expansion' increases quite much in the end, I've heard it goes over 100,000 coins at some point.
At that point you might want to consider Medal Expansions. :p
Also, they're not that easy to come by really. Most of the Coin Expansions are in places of the Tech-tree one would usually skip in preference to progression. If you do not care that much about progressing as fast as possible, you can ofcourse take the hours to research them.

- L

DeletedUser

The 10th medal expansion takes 6000 medals too, that's 40 consecutive weeks of being number 1 in LMA. Good luck with that!

That is if you only compete in the LMA tower, if you have several armies, you could theoretically compete in every tower or at least multiple, which a lot of people do. ;)

- L

DeletedUser

To generate 100,000 coins a day, you just need 57.8 ~ 58 huts. HUTS!

DeletedUser

That is if you only compete in the LMA tower, if you have several armies, you could theoretically compete in every tower or at least multiple, which a lot of people do. ;)

- L

Oh, I didn't know you could do that. Still, being number 1 in all the other ages nets you another whopping 130 medals a week, which will cut the waiting time for 6000 medals from 40 weeks to 21.4 ~ 22 weeks.

DeletedUser

I just hit EMA where the training time is 4hrs. I also started noticing that the amount required for negotiating is increasing. Here are my further thoughts.

Assumptions:

1. You win every fight, but all your units die
2. The time required to produce a good is the same as any other good.

Based on assumption 1, it'll take 8 x 4 = 32 production hours to take a sector. In those 32 hours, a good building can produce 40 goods.

Thus, as long as each sector is asking for anything less than 40 goods, you're better off negotiating than producing troops.

DeletedUser

Well, assumption 1 can't be correct to start with, because you can't have won when all your units are dead. :p

As for assumption 2, depending on the Age of the Goods Building, those 40 Goods can turn out quite a bit more expensive than re-training units.
In addition, in most cases you're going to have to trade some or all of those 40 goods. If you're in a good trading guild, you might be able to trade what you need within 32 hours, if not, you'll spend more time trying to trade while your army is already ready.

What I personally do is attack sectors I think I can take and trade sectors that will most likely gonna cost me units. So a combination of both.

- L

DeletedUser

Well, here I am assuming the worst case scenario - the time it takes to retrain all the troops that you bring.

I also didn't consider the coin and supplies requirements yeah. But as far as what I've seen, regardless of which age you're in, the time taken to produce a good is the same.

DeletedUser

Another point, as it is I have it set up such that I have no army, all my space is used for goods buildings as far as possible. So my army is never ready since it doesn't exist. I only added an archer's building because people were attacking me and plundering my goods buildings. I put 4 archers in defence and that stopped it for now.

But approaching halfway through the map of EMA, and I was looking at the requirements of negotiating through several sectors and I was wondering if it might be a better approach to build an army instead. That's what got me thinking about the further "costs" between the two options.

DeletedUser

If you're in a guild that has a big stockpile of everything and you have a big stockpile of goods you can produce yourself to trade away, AND you're not particularly in a hurry, I'd just trade my way through most sectors. If you're a trade orientated player.

In the HMA and LMA your goods will be costing 3200 and 6400 resources though (1600/1600, 3200/3200). You might want to protect that investment with an army or make darn sure you collect in time. ;)
In addition, if you care about the PvP Towers and want some Medal Expansions or if you care about your Town Ranking, then you might want to do some Battling for points. But since you stated you barely have an army and depend on your multiple goods buildings, I'm guessing PvP and ranking isn't much of a priority to you. :)

- L

DeletedUser

The "only" other draw to me for PvP is the expansions I get from medals, which is also one of the reasons why I've been putting it off. Getting 1st in the later ages nets you more medals compared to the lower ages.

In this case, I think there's definitely a diminishing returns as far as the number of expansions go. 10 for the 1st, 50 for the 2nd and 200 for the 3rd is probably the furthest I'll bother to go. The 4th expansion at 500 medals is going to take more than a month, yes, I know this isn't a game for the impatient, but battles do take quite a bit of micromanagement as well. The one "click" to produce a good seems much less time consuming.

The one annoyance I have is that there's no cap regarding how much coins a forge point costs. I have it now such that a forge point costs more than 5000 gold. Each additional house netting me 72 coins an hour is not worth so much anymore.

I have no interest in points unless it has a tangible benefit. I don't need an e-peen either so the ranking isn't my concern either.