• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Battles Attack bonus/Defense bonus

DeletedUser106408

Could someone explain what the Attack Bonus and Defense bonus means for the players.

For example:
Legionnaire (Iron Age). Has an attack bonus of 4 against [boot] icon. Does this mean if he kills a Soldier (which the boot represents) that you get 4 additional points in your score? Or does it mean if he kills/hits a solider his sword is stronger by 4?

He has a Defense bonus of 4 [grass icon] and 4 [boot icon]. I assume if he moves through the grass (is that the scruffy bits of tussock as opposed to tree and rocks?) that he is more protected? But he also gets Defense bonus points for [boot icon]. How do they work, and what do they mean? Does he have to stand beside/in front/go through a Soldier (which are represented by boots) to get these protection points?

Also, if he is not listed as getting a defense bonus from trees, do they still provide protection from archers? Additionally, if he was in a rocks square and fighting another Legionnaire who is on a plain square, would he have an advantage?

Is there anywhere that describes what all the little attack icons mean? e.g. the Stone thrower (bronze age) has a attack icon for what looks like mountains (which are what?). I thought it might be rocks, but then the Slinger (bronze age), has an attack icon for rocks.

Also if a Legionnaire is measured as 8 swords for attacking, and 13 shields defense, and a Soldier (Iron age) is 9 swords for attacking and 9 shields defense, is there a way to calculate how often he has to hit the Soldier to kill him? It's really annoying when you attack a archer, and he has one life/square left, and then he go on to do real damage. I would like to know the optimal way to fight.

Finally, when two players are opposing each other, little symbols pop up like [crossed swords] 1-3, skull 2-4. What does this mean?

If there is already a link for this already, please let me know. I couldn't find it. The beginners guides were helpful, but it seems like the game programmers have provided a lot of information for players, only I don't know how to use it.

Thanks!

DeletedUser2989

Hi Matilda ap Lugh, welcome to the forums.

I had hoped to find a guide that I could link but I'm not as familiar with that part of the forum as others (Byeordie might be able to find a good one to link), so I'll explain what I can. :)

For example:
Legionnaire (Iron Age). Has an attack bonus of 4 against [boot] icon. Does this mean if he kills a Soldier (which the boot represents) that you get 4 additional points in your score? Or does it mean if he kills/hits a solider his sword is stronger by 4?

Those bonuses are direct increases to your units stats under specific circumstances. So using your example your legionnaire has the base attack stat of 8 and the attack bonus of 4 against [boot] means that if your legionnaire attacks any light unit (represented by the boot icon) that it's attack stat is boosted up to 12.

He has a Defense bonus of 4 [grass icon] and 4 [boot icon]. I assume if he moves through the grass (is that the scruffy bits of tussock as opposed to tree and rocks?) that he is more protected? But he also gets Defense bonus points for [boot icon]. How do they work, and what do they mean? Does he have to stand beside/in front/go through a Soldier (which are represented by boots) to get these protection points?

The same thing goes for the defense boosts, a legionnaire has a defense stat of 13 and so long as he's standing on grass (which you can find out when you hover your cursor over the tile) his defense stat is boosted to 17, further more if it is a light unit attacking it (once again represented by the boot icon) the defense stat is boosted by another 4 totaling 21. However if any other unit type attacks your legionnaire you won't get that extra 4 and if your legionnaire is standing on anything other than grass it looses that +4 buff to it's defense.

Also, if he is not listed as getting a defense bonus from trees, do they still provide protection from archers? Additionally, if he was in a rocks square and fighting another Legionnaire who is on a plain square, would he have an advantage?

Your legionnaire will only gain the bonuses in the certain types of terrain listed under either it's attack or defense bonuses. The effect trees have defensively for your light units or the effect rocks have on your archers attack strength is isolated to those unit types.

Is there anywhere that describes what all the little attack icons mean? e.g. the Stone thrower (bronze age) has a attack icon for what looks like mountains (which are what?). I thought it might be rocks, but then the Slinger (bronze age), has an attack icon for rocks.

When you go into your army management you can hover over the unit and see a written description of the icons next to them (if your viewing this game using either an Iphone or Ipad it might be different I'm not sure). Stone throwers and by extension most long ranged units have a attack bonus when on a hill (the icon that looks like mountains). This means that so long as the long ranged unit is on a hill it will have it's attack stat boosted by that bonus value no matter what type of target it attacks.

Also if a Legionnaire is measured as 8 swords for attacking, and 13 shields defense, and a Soldier (Iron age) is 9 swords for attacking and 9 shields defense, is there a way to calculate how often he has to hit the Soldier to kill him? It's really annoying when you attack a archer, and he has one life/square left, and then he go on to do real damage. I would like to know the optimal way to fight.

The stats relate to combat in an odds/luck kind of way. So if you have an overall (so base stat plus bonuses) attack stat of 8 against an overall defense stat of 9 then you'll need to hit them several times. The higher you can get your attack stat compared to their defense stat the more likely you'll be able to kill in 1-2 hits. Such combat is also affected by the health of the units to a degree, wounded troops will deal slightly less damage on average. The higher the difference in stats the further these chances go to the extremes, so if your stats are really high compared to their defense stats you'll see odds getting closer to 7-9 points of damage or if your stats are much lower than their defense you'll see more 0-1 odds.

Finally, when two players are opposing each other, little symbols pop up like [crossed swords] 1-3, skull 2-4. What does this mean?

This would be the odds/luck I was talking about just before. The crossed swords shows you the amount of damage your attack will do, using your example you unit will cause 1 or 2 or 3 points of damage (you won't know till you take the action). The second one is the retaliation damage, the damage caused when that unit reacts to your attack (in the example it'll cause 2 or 3 or 4 points of damage). You'll need to keep in mind units can only retaliate once per "turn" (a turn being the time from the first unit to move to the last, when the "first" unit moves again that's the next turn and all retaliation abilities are reset) and the unit attacking has to be in range to be retaliated against. For example an archer attacking a soldier at range won't get hit by retaliation, an archer standing right next to the soldier will.

I hope that explains it, if not keep asking questions and people here will be able to sort you out :)