• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Backed into a corner??

DavidusRexus

Private
Currently at the boundary of what appears to be the last available province ( far N/E corner). Abandoned militarism in favour of negotiation way back and hitherto the policy has served me well. However- it seems that Big Bro or whatever the powers that be have decided to call me to account- having made offers to cover the terms of the negotiation in each of the 6 regions I have had, after several days, NO trade offers at all. This is totally contrary to my trading history to date and I suspect foul play!
Fro what I have gleaned from eavesdropping on other discussions it seems that I might be obliged to abandon my pacifist principles.
All comments welcome - even from those who are inclined to resort to doltish sarcasm.
Kind regards to all forumists,
Davidus

Do you mean your guild?

Why would they care if you are fully participating in guild activities (GE, gbg)

Or are you talking about the continent maps?

Quite possibly you've gone so far ahead of your era and therefore the era of your hood that no one had the required goods

Agent327

Overlord
I think he is trying to be funny and failing miserably. He has been advancing on the continentmap by negotiating, but has a problem to get the goods for the last province. He thought it appropriate to tell us that in a hilarious way.

DavidusRexus

Private
Sarcasm is a form of passive abuse: combined with a lack of communication skills, latent aggression and other pointers are indicative of a chronic lack of self-esteem. Quite likely, but not necessarily, a result of childhood abuse in one form or another. Victims tend to be loners but occasionally will form quite strong bonds with those of a similar ilk.
On the lookout for the intelligentsia.
Kind regards,
Davidus

Cuthwolf

Captain
Sarcasm is a form of passive abuse: combined with a lack of communication skills, latent aggression and other pointers are indicative of a chronic lack of self-esteem. Quite likely, but not necessarily, a result of childhood abuse in one form or another. Victims tend to be loners but occasionally will form quite strong bonds with those of a similar ilk.
Kind regards,
Davidus
Not a good idea to race ahead on the map as you can get stuck on a quest line when 'capture a province' comes.

Fred Perfect

Private
Not a good idea to race ahead on the map as you can get stuck on a quest line when 'capture a province' comes.
Or: I'm in HMA (been there for some time), and now my Story Quest is including "Research a tech unlocking ..." and the Bonus Quest is including "Research a tech unlocking ...". And I don't have a reoccurring quest....

Zeratul 2.0

Lieutenant Colonel
Non-native English speaker here
Read once -- not comprehending
Read twice -- not comprehending
Read third time -- not comprehending
Read fourth time -- yes comprehending 8-)

The answers are correct. Neighbors are generally of the same era and do not have the advanced goods the OP need once he ventured far (or deep) into the continent map.

Kind regards,
Davidus
Very true. I learned that from "Friends" where Chandler likes using sarcasm and turned out it was a form of self-defence because of insecurity

Powe

Brigadier-General
Currently at the boundary of what appears to be the last available province ( far N/E corner). Abandoned militarism in favour of negotiation way back and hitherto the policy has served me well. However- it seems that Big Bro or whatever the powers that be have decided to call me to account- having made offers to cover the terms of the negotiation in each of the 6 regions I have had, after several days, NO trade offers at all. This is totally contrary to my trading history to date and I suspect foul play!
Fro what I have gleaned from eavesdropping on other discussions it seems that I might be obliged to abandon my pacifist principles.
All comments welcome - even from those who are inclined to resort to doltish sarcasm.
Kind regards to all forumists,
Davidus
This province is nowhere near the end. After finishing it you get a bonus area, then the CA area, then the InA area, then the PE area... Of course if you're below high middle ages very few people will have late middle ages goods.

GADfan

Warrant Officer
Despite my short time playing, I have found my self in similar positions. Indeed I am in one at the moment. Desperately wanting some goods which are in advance of my own era, and which I am unable to trade for either because the trades are considered "unfair" because all I have to offer are goods from much lower eras (like stone and lumber aren't still useful) and a militarist approach is out of the question, not on philosophical grounds but because I am simply out gunned by defending troops of a much higher era with defensive and attack bonuses.

My only practical advice would be patience and hope to locate required goods through incidents, or when you reach the next era construct the relevant production plants. Of course this means waiting weeks or perhaps months before progressing, unless you want to buy diamonds!
If you haven't already, you could try trading only your previous and current era goods for goods from the next era or two up (fair), and when you've got enough of those trade them for the next era, and so on until you get to the era you need goods from.
If you concentrate on the goods deposits you have uncovered on the continent map and build as many goods buildings as you can to produce only those goods you can quickly build up stocks and trade in bigger quantities. You can actually move along quite quickly this way

So, for example, lets say I need to obtain 20 units of salt. I cant produce it myself:

I have a wool resource, so can produce cloth (needed for the Lighthouse Great Building, so probably desirable).

I produce 20 cloth (Iron Age), takes 1 day
I then offer that 20 cloth (Iron Age) for 10 copper (Early Middle Ages)
I wait.....
I offer the 10 copper for 5 salt (High Middle Ages)
I wait....

I then repeat this process three more times until I obtain the required 20 units of salt.

Is that what you're suggesting?
Yes, it can be a little slow but can work well.

If you use 8hr productions you can produce 30 goods a day.

GADfan

Warrant Officer
So, for example, lets say I need to obtain 20 units of salt. I cant produce it myself:

I have a wool resource, so can produce cloth (needed for the Lighthouse Great Building, so probably desirable).

I produce 20 cloth (Iron Age), takes 1 day
I then offer that 20 cloth (Iron Age) for 10 copper (Early Middle Ages)
I wait.....
I offer the 10 copper for 5 salt (High Middle Ages)
I wait....

I then repeat this process three more times until I obtain the required 20 units of salt.

Is that what you're suggesting?
Exactly.
And if you had 3 cloth production buildings you treble your amount made, more to trade with.
In your example, you can actually offer the cloth for the salt directly (Iron Age to HM Age), it would be fair, still a 2:1 ratio, and miss out the copper stage (EM age) altogether.
Or, you could use the copper in your example to jump 2 ages and trade for, say, brass (LM Age), and so on

GADfan

Warrant Officer
Jumping 2 ages isn't generally seen as fair and it's harder to get the trades taken
It's that debate again isn't it - when is a trade fair or not? :D
I and others regularly trade 2 ages up or down, totally depends on whether somebody wants something and is willing to do the deal.
But I appreciate your point...

I agree most trades would probably be one age difference and it would probably be Matt's best way, just a bit longer to do

It's that debate again isn't it - when is a trade fair or not? :D
I and others regularly trade 2 ages up or down, totally depends on whether somebody wants something and is willing to do the deal.
But I appreciate your point...

I agree most trades would probably be one age difference and it would probably be Matt's best way, just a bit longer to do
I said before I don't care about trade ages if it's something I want but lots of people do. Jumping 2 eras just makes it harder to get them taken but can save time and effort if you have helpful friends and hoodies