• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Army Testing

Do you support this idea?

• Yes

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • No

Votes: 8 61.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skrypt

Private
Proposal:
The ability to set up an attack and defense army and run a sandbox battle to test various unit combinations and their efficiency against specific armies.

Have you checked for similar ideas?:
Yes

Reason:
Beginner and casual players will be able to learn the basics of fighting and intermediate players will be able to master their skills.

Details:
There are multiple ways to implement this feature. I will start with the seemingly easier one:
firefox_QlBOwQvxCo.png
As shown in the image above, a new button (green square) would be available on the Army Management screen. Upon clicking it, you would be taken to a randomly generated map with the Currently Selected Army being controlled by you and your Defending Army being controlled by the AI.

I have purposely used two units from the defending army in the attacking army - this should be possible and the troop should appear in both armies.

A rather more complex approach:
firefox_CkqwEaV9Eo.png
firefox_tnsJJfVuks.png
The Army Management button from the navigation menu at the bottom left of the screen would open a sub-menu, just like the Global button does. See the above images for a better understanding.

That sub-menu would have a button that leads to the regular Army Management screen, where you can set up your attacking and defending armies. It would, however, also have a new button that would take you to a Battle Simulator (or Battle Training or any better name you come up with) - Image 2.3 below - that let's you choose an attacking army and defending army from a list of all units in the game and would let you choose what AI behaviour you want to play against (continent map, etc).
battle simulator showcase.png
At the very top of the screen you can select the attacking and defending bonuses for both armies (default would be set to 0) and the AI behaviour of the defending army.

The red rectangle (further called Unit Selection Menu or USM) would contain one icon of each unit, even units from higher ages and units that you don't have currently, filterable by the buttons above the area, as known from the Army Management screen. You could drag and drop the unit from the Unit Selection Menu into both armies at the top (Attacking / Defending), depending on where you want the unit to go. Alternatively, Left Clicking would put the unit into the Attacking army, Shift + Left Clicking would put the unit into the Defending Army. The unit would not disappear from the USM! (There would be infinite amounts to use as they are only available within the battle simulator.

Clicking any unit in the Attacking/Defending Army would remove it again.

The Start Battle button, as the name suggests, starts the battle with your defined settings.

Balance:
-

Visual Aids:
Added as spoilers in the text.

Please share your opinions and vote whether you like the idea or not! Thank you for reading. :)

Last edited:
You've put a lot of thought, time and effort into this and I can understand why you'd want it but.....

This would let you run endless simulations against every conceivable army so you could perfect every battle and fight ge/gbg/map with virtually zero losses making it pointless

Skrypt

Private
You've put a lot of thought, time and effort into this and I can understand why you'd want it but.....

This would let you run endless simulations against every conceivable army so you could perfect every battle and fight ge/gbg/map with virtually zero losses making it pointless
I see your point. Maybe this could be minimalized by removing the attack / defense bonus at the top, having different AI behaviours for the simulator and / or just a single pre-defined one or with something like allowing only small battles of like 4vs4 or 3vs3.

Or have each battle cost coins, supplies, medals or even goods and have it limited to x battles per 24 hours. And having to pay diamonds to play an extra battle (also limited to for example max 3x diamond rounds per day).

I'm not saying this would solve the problem, but it might decrease the impact of it.

I see your point. Maybe this could be minimalized by removing the attack / defense bonus at the top, having different AI behaviours for the simulator and / or just a single pre-defined one or with something like allowing only small battles of like 4vs4 or 3vs3.

Or have each battle cost coins, supplies, medals or even goods and have it limited to x battles per 24 hours. And having to pay diamonds to play an extra battle (also limited to for example max 3x diamond rounds per day).

I'm not saying this would solve the problem, but it might decrease the impact of it.
Maybe limit it to a very early era just to practice battle mechanics not actually fighting units from each era. Iron at most but probably bronze

Skrypt

Private
Maybe limit it to a very early era just to practice battle mechanics not actually fighting units from each era. Iron at most but probably bronze
That sounds good. Or at least this + for people from the higher age only up to 3 ages lower or something. So if you were CA, you could test units up to EMA / IA.

Agent327

Overlord
No thank you. Game is set up so you can learn how to fight when you go along. Fights are easy at the beginning. If you do not learn from that you never will.

Maybe this could be minimalized by removing the attack / defense bonus at the top, having different AI behaviours for the simulator and / or just a single pre-defined one or with something like allowing only small battles of like 4vs4 or 3vs3.

That really makes a lot of sense. Different AI behaviours. Why do you think everybody is complaining about the curent AI and it has been so for 7 years now?

Skrypt

Private
No thank you. Game is set up so you can learn how to fight when you go along. Fights are easy at the beginning. If you do not learn from that you never will.
Of course you can learn it along the way. I don't see any reason, nor did you state one, why you should not be able to learn it sooner and/or without loosing any troops.

That really makes a lot of sense. Different AI behaviours. Why do you think everybody is complaining about the curent AI and it has been so for 7 years now?
Instead of fixating on one of my suggestions, maybe try coming up with a constructive suggestion yourself. That was just one of many possibilities of how to avoid the 'problem' Cursedveggie came up with and is not part of the initial proposal.

Agent327

Overlord
Of course you can learn it along the way. I don't see any reason, nor did you state one, why you should not be able to learn it sooner and/or without loosing any troops.

You learn it at the start. How much sooner would you want?

Why should you be able to learn without losing troops? Should you be able to learn about your city and get full production costs back as well, when you remove a building?

Instead of fixating on one of my suggestions, maybe try coming up with a constructive suggestion yourself. That was just one of many possibilities of how to avoid the 'problem' Cursedveggie came up with and is not part of the initial proposal.

Why?

You come up with a proposal where according to me is no need for at all. You learn during the game. There is no reason for an easy fix, so it is not up to me to make your proposal any better.

DeletedUser

Do it like the Extra Negotiation Round for GE.
Battle Simulator for X limited time for X Tavern Coins.

PS Or for limited Number of Tests.

Vesiger

Monarch
I thought this argument sounded familiar...
(And it's scary that I can actually remember that!)

DeletedUser

I thought this argument sounded familiar...
(And it's scary that I can actually remember that!)
lol haha

DeletedUser99588

Just play the game. Make mistakes, learn from them and move on. That is what gaming is all about. Would be disappointed to see devs waste time on this needless functionality.

Status
Not open for further replies.