• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Event ARCHAEOLOGY EVENT

• Thread starter Deleted member 109369
  • Start date

DeletedUser6065

9 Level 10 - no diamonds.
BUT - it was a very near thing in each one.
3 Level 9's because that's how long it took me to learn 'the trick'.
. . . mk
**For me 'the trick' was having ~ 15 dynamite bundles for the final 20 idols.**

DeletedUser113125

9 Level 10 - no diamonds.
BUT - it was a very near thing in each one.
3 Level 9's because that's how long it took me to learn 'the trick'.
. . . mk
**For me 'the trick' was having ~ 15 dynamite bundles for the final 20 idols.**
@CaptainJacksparrow did a useful guide as it started, which I thought was on this thread but can’t find it now, which I copy pasted to my guild (with credit given to CJS). Thank you @CaptainJacksparrow!

Thomas Covenent

Lieutenant-General
I came within 13 idols of getting the Lv.1 World's Fair building - no diamonds spent.

Kinda sad I missed out on making the ultimate skill marker, but definitely not tempted at all to go the 200 dias I'd have needed for a final 330 pack, since it would have just been a giant waste!
No way I'd be sinking the 10,000's needed to level that sucker. :P

DeletedUser6065

'I came within 13 idols of getting the Lv.1 World's Fair building - no diamonds spent.

Kinda sad I missed out on making the ultimate skill marker . . :P
Yeah, this 'wuz a rough one, if you don't play a bunch of worlds to 'learn' the trick that works for you. As I posted, I 'lost out' on 3 of my worlds until I found the secret that worked for me. If I had found it sooner, I wouldda posted a 'How I Did It', but I made no attempt 'til the last day as I save all my stuff until the last (in all events - for 5 years now). In hindsight however, it is best I did, because it took the entire event's worth of tools all at one time to figure it out. I would not have been able to do it if I had gone piecemeal throughout the event collecting the idols.
And, I agree - for you the diamond cost would have been outrageous. As I stated, for me those final 20 idols were 'dynamite only'. Grabbing 20+ bundles of dynamite using diamonds is not a pleasant thought.
. . . . mk

Last edited by a moderator:

Dead-Eye

General
Well I managed a lv 10 and I did spend 2K diamonds though in the end I would not have had to. I was way to busy to read up on the event. The building looks nice in my city though.

DeletedUser108359

So, this has been an interesting event, how many of you have got a level 10 World's Fair so far, and what you think of the benefits of the building.

Got 10 easily on all my worlds, plus enough Carousals to start a war, ( lol ) and stuff i need plus stuff i'm sure to find a use for.
Personally i found it a lot of fun and a great great event

Zeratul 2.0

Lieutenant Colonel
Right... Event is over, so it is good time to share some tips on the tools, so people can do better in the next archaeology event (if any).

On the basis of buying only the largest package of tools that cost 330 scrolls whenever possible, one important tip is to balance the tools. What you should use depends on what you have left the most. Shovel & Dynamite are more powerful, but without the brush, they can't be put to good use. If you used up all the brushes very early, and have only shovels and dynamites left, you'll have no choice but downgrade the shovel/dynamite and use them like a brush only to remove one or two tiles. Similarly, if you used up the shovels or dynamites early, and have only two types of tools left, you'll have to use them in less efficient way, too. All three types of tools must be present for the sake of flexibility. Some times a brush + a shovel can do the same thing as a dynamite, it'll then depend on the type of tool that you have the most, even when that particular type doesn't play the theoretical maximum role. You can't think "I'll only use the shovel when there is a row of 5 tiles of sand and 1 empty tile" or "I'll only use the dynamite when I can blow off than 7 tiles, no less".

Another intriguing (but not yet scientifically proven) point is that, not every tile needs to be cleared, even if there is something in it, revealed. A player uploaded a video of their entire sand-removing process. The video is tediously long. Sometimes there is idol or jar already revealed, in bright sand tile, but they ignore it, and focus only on moving ahead, to the deeper part of the tomb. Eventually the idol or jar disappears to the left edge. But in the end, their results are not bad, in terms of Grand Reward progress compared with "normal" playing style. Viewers comment that the video uploader was playing it wrong and won by sheer luck, because they left visible idol unattended, which is unbearable to the viewer. BUT IF YOU REALLY THINK ABOUT IT: imagine if there is an idol visible near the left edge and is about to disappear and at the same time there is another idol visible on the right edge, too. Then, if you use a brush to collect the idol on the right side, you not only collect an idol but also advanced by one row, which you'll need to do eventually, after all, no matter what. Obviously, the brush played a more efficient role if you collect the idol on the right side and ignore the idol on the left side. FURTHERMORE, even if there is no idol on the right side at the moment, if you advance by one row, there might be one, and then the conditions are met for the preceding assumption. THEREFORE, the principle is that you should "use the brush solely for advance", and if an idol, or a jar, even visible, cannot be collected with the shovel or dynamite as a sort of "by-product", then they are not worth brushing...

Even though the analysis in the above paragraph seems plausible, me the analyzer did not adopt that style. When an idol or jar is visible, I'm definitely, defintely brushing it and will not let it slide to the left edge and disappear -- the conventional, conservative way of playing... ...

One can say there is camper and there is rusher even in a mini game. And neither side holds any real advantage...

Last edited:

DeletedUser116941

No it doesn't. If it exceeds your output you do not produce enough. It is possible you get surprised by that in your first event, but if you get surprised by it every event you are the problem. Not the supplies asked.

I disagree. If you are in the CA, you are still going through a learning curve, and the amount of supplies needed may come as a surprise, as you mentioned. And, as I mentioned, I did make adjustments to my game play, so that in future events, I was ready for the large supply demands and stockpiled extra supplies if I knew an event was coming. I do not give up because something is difficult. But, you say that the player is the problem like it is a fact. But it is one opinion. It depends on the level of difficulty you think should be applied to players earlier in the game. Most games have a period of being less challenging in earlier stages and gradually work their way up to being more difficult in later stages. And there are games that do not have much of a learning curve and become much more difficult with each stage. But too much of an increase in difficulty from one stage to another can be off putting to some players. Forge of Empires becomes steadily more difficult as more elements are added to city building in later ages like double roads, refined goods, and the role GBs play in your city. In later eras, FPs and goods become more prevalent than gold and supplies, since you should have an excess of both, as the speed at which advance eras slows down and you spend time gathering goods and putting FPs into GBs. For the most part, FoE does very well with the balance between ease of play and challenges. But, the amount of supplies required for events in the CA is disproportionate to other requirements during that era. And, when Joan mentioned it, I remembered that time in my past experience with the game and could relate. I agree with Joan on this one, and if the supply demands were halved from what that they are in CA for events, I think the game would be more amiable to newer players. I respect the opinion of those who believe the supply demands are appropriate, but I beg to differ.

Lastly, I have read a lot of your comments to players, Agent, and most of them are more critical than they are helpful, as if you enjoy complaining about complaining. But there is a big difference between complaining and whining. If you do not like complaints, you also have the option of not reading comments. :P

DeletedUser116941

None of the Quests exceed the output of any decent City, in any Era.
The term is: "not Rocket Science", i.e. something which is neither difficult nor complicated, what a gem!
If you yourself, can't play effectively, pls don't complain about your own shortcomings nor yet give bad advice to others.

Wow, so you've looked up the definition of rocket science. Good for you! I didn't say I have any shortcomings. I enjoy this game a lot. And I have found it to be about the right level of challenging. I said only that I agree with Joan, that in the past, I had an experience similar to Joan and agree with her that if the supply demand was more appropriate to that age, then it would be better. She was not whining about it. She just made a polite point about how she had some difficulty. If players like you had given her advice on how she could improve, then there wouldn't be thirty or more comments on why she is wrong and her defending herself. (Thanks to those who did post useful advice.) Now I suppose you are going to say that you never had any difficulty or something in the game you would like to change. How fortune favors you!

Maybe, you could look up 'advice' as well. I do not recall giving any advice, at least not in the post you mentioned.

Agent327

Overlord
I disagree. If you are in the CA, you are still going through a learning curve, and the amount of supplies needed may come as a surprise, as you mentioned. And, as I mentioned, I did make adjustments to my game play, so that in future events, I was ready for the large supply demands and stockpiled extra supplies if I knew an event was coming. I do not give up because something is difficult. But, you say that the player is the problem like it is a fact.

If you are still on a learning curve in CA it is a fact the player is the problem