• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Anyone else hate battles?

DeletedUser110179

You can always be a trader ...
But then all his investments in that arctic orangery would be for naught ...
Not really, the Arctic Orangery also gives daily fps which is perfect for trading.
Cape Canaveral
only gives fps, making AO and Castel del Monte a real bargain.

Stop with the baseless defense of this boring ass battle that is forced upon us.
Quite frankly, I'm more of a moviegoer (a watcher) myself ...

Just playing any game is already a step-up in my level of physical participation (leaning forward vs leaning back). As to manual battles ...
it's just wayy out of my comfort zone, eventhough I finish L4 GE on a weekly basis.
That said, I was chess champion in High School for 5 years running ... and doing auto battle is a bit like watching a chess computer playing against itself.
I'ld rather watch a movie OR build empire through forge-point creation and investment schemes.

Perhaps, you're simply burnt-out from 6 years of hard war ... day in and day out ... and you finally realised that "warrior" isn't your forté.
Negotiate yourself into greatness OR level up those attack GBs (Zeus, CoA, CdM and AO) ... into triple digit status (ie 101 or 110).

◑◐

Last edited by a moderator:
Wrong!

Battles are boring in FOE, you are a newbie and maybe you haven't got bored yet because you only do several battles per week for a very short time, I've played this game for over 6 years now. Even if the battles were interesting as HOMAM and they are not even slightly close, but even then after 6 years it would get boring.

You've just started playing barely 6 months ago judging by your account, so don't tell me if battles are interesting or not, they are not interesting. And battling in the bronze age is a lot more simpler and fast than in oceanic future, so year your bronze age battles might be cool to you for now, having not done any and with basic, simple units where battles last less than 30 seconds even if you are utter NOOB!!!

So why are we forced to do manual battles, which again can take up to an hour of utter boredom to get 1 province?

And what about those people who haven't played the game for 6 years and don't have 120 attack power like me? Stop with the baseless defense of this boring ass battle that is forced upon us.

Why should any of us have to think like You! The only one who is wrong is You!

DeletedUser110131

You're right that I'm a relative n00b. Even so, I have >4k battles to my name, and I've been comfortably out of BA for quite a while. That's besides the point, though.

My argument isn't that battles are so exciting that everyone must be forced to do them. That would be an inane argument. Instead, my argument is that, if there are to be battles, and manual fighting is to be an alternative, then manual fighting must be advantageous to the vast majority of players, including the less skilled. If the chance of victory is greater with auto battle, manual battle won't be used, and will eventually disappear. Once that happens, interest in battles at all will disappear. Since war is the cornerstone of any strategy game, the whole thing will eventually degenerate to building pretty cities, interrupted by events emulating cheesy game shows, with pretty buildings as prizes. If you're a strategy gamer worrying about boring gameplay, this should be your worst nightmare.

I agree that battles can be boring, and I realize that they won't get more exciting with time. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've already stated so, in this very topic. The solution isn't removing them, though, and no strategy gamer would think that it was. Instead, the solution is a new or upgraded battle engine. Of course, this would require exactly the kind of fundamental development that Inno seems to avoid like it's the plague. Eventually, though, they'll have to face it down; no strategy game can maintain its popularity without ever upgrading its battle engine. FoE will either get a new or upgraded battle engine, or fade away.

DeletedUser2989

While perhaps not entirely on topic I've got something to add that's related...

I've recently been trying to fight manual battles using the app version of the game and I'm finding it very annoying to do. On the PC I can easily check what a tile is before my unit moves to it, but on the mobile version I can't check. I'm finding lots of times are "hidden" enough to make it very difficult to tolerate.

I'd love to see some updates to battles especially in the app version, a "strategic" view to better distinguish between the tiles (some trees obscure a lot of other tiles!) would be a great start. Reworking the "range attack" visuals and the "command buttons" (so a skip turn button on the PC version) would also be some good improvements.

Beyond that the battle mechanics/system could do with some significant changes. I have thousands of units in my stock, larger battles need to happen. I think it'd be interesting to add the concept of "line of sight" to make "indirect fire" units significant. In the end I think the battle system needs to have a greater focus and more work done, it's increasingly noticible as they add or change other elements of the game.

DeletedUser110179

I've recently been trying to fight manual battles using the app version of the game and I'm finding it very annoying to do. On the PC I can easily check what a tile is before my unit moves to it, but on the mobile version I can't check. I'm finding lots of times units are "hidden" enough to make it very difficult to tolerate.
Yah, the app version still needs a lot of work and tidying up !

PEbattle.png

DeletedUser96846

I will confirm that yes, with attack 130/90, the Arctic future map can be beaten with all hovers (or say 6 hovers 2 rogues). If you completely autofight it, you will win, but lose a lot of units. I do partial-place units in strategic places, then auto, or do auto first wave, the manual second. I agree with SlickR that it is boring, and the maps are way too big in Oceanic and Arctic.

In Oceanic Future, I use some combination of Turturrets, eels, and Rail Guns (rails only if there are hovers or battle fortresses in defending army). I do not auto completely. Same thing, place units in strategic spots, then you can auto. Again, will lose units, so need to have those barracks up to farm them from Traz. Full manual will rarely lose more than one unit, but takes time.

Last edited by a moderator: