• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Ancient Egypt Settlement Quick Start Guide

DeletedUser117610

----------------------------------------------------

I started this post in response to feedback in the thread forum.en.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/the-cultural-settlements-are-pay-to-win.39866/, as it seemed people were struggling with the Ancient Egypt Settlement. As the post grew, I moved it to it's own thread here to avoid diverting the discussion in that other thread, and in the (somewhat vain) hope that people may find it helpful and locate it more easily here.

Please like this post if it helps ;):blush:

PS I'm just doing my 3rd settlement now and intend to update this post to optimise and fix any errors I find as I go. Please post feedback, corrections and suggestions in the comments below.

PPS I'm not a fan of this settlement, and I'm not even certain it's worthwhile for the rewards as opposed to say just farming the Japan settlement which can be easily completed in 6 days with a market push strategy. I just figure that if you're going to do it, then you may as well get it over and done with as quickly and painlessly as possible.

Before You Start
- This guide requires 14 hours or so where you can update your base and collect/start productions in 4-hour cycles. If that's not for you then you can still follow the principles outlined here, just skip steps that optimise around the 4-hour cycle (in particular you would likely buy 2 expansions after your first goods collection rather than doing the switching around described in the 5 Hours section to fit 2 divine statues)
- ASSUMPTION: the starting area never has impediments (I think) so you can do same build every time (confirm)

0 Hours
- Move the palace 4 spaces away from the border
- Build 6 houses and 5 roads in the 4*8 area such they are all powered (build 2 huts along one 'side border' with a 3-length road running alongside them, then 4 huts in a clump with the one in the far corner offset from the adjacent hut by one space such that you need 2 roads to reach it). Build 2 potted plants (pots) in the 2*1 space between the huts and 1 pot at the end of the 3-length road.
- Build 2 farms, 1 camp, 1 hut and 2 pots in the 6*8 area such that they are all powered (build 2 farms against the border furthest from the hall with two 3-length roads along each side border to reach them. Build 1 camp and 1 hut in the remaining space next to the hall. Build 2 pots in the gap)
- Complete quests 1, 2 and 3
- Sell the camp and replace it with a farm. You'll now have 3 farms, 1 hut and 2 pots in the 6*8 area.
- Defeat the Easy army in the pyramid. Fight manually to avoid losses using the unattached troops received from the 3rd quest. Don't lose any troops! Make a note of whether you received under 300 loot; this will affect how soon you have to do the medium combat
- Complete the quest 4
- At this stage you'll have 3 farms, 7 huts, around 600 loot, and completed 4 quests

1 Hour
- Start 3*4-hour barley productions as soon as the farms are complete in 1 hour
- At this stage you'll have 3 farms, 7 huts, around 450 loot, and completed 4 quests

5 Hours
- Collect the 3*4-hour barley productions when they finish
- Complete quest 5
- Start 3*4-hour barley productions
- Buy ONE expansion for 1 barley. Ideally choose an expansion touching your hall and one of the roads on the farm side
- Build 5 pots in the expansion (in addition to the 4 you had already) to reach 60 diplomacy
- Complete quest 6
- Buy the tech for Divine Statues with the remaining 14 barley
- Sell all pots. Move all roads into the expansion (roads are expensive at 200 coins so move them out of the way rather than sell them if you have a surplus in the early stages). Move the farm closest the hall over one space so it touches the edge. Move the huts in the 4*8 area so that there is room for 2 more huts. Move the hut in the farm side into the 4*8 region. Build 3 more huts and move one into 4*8 region. At this stage you have 3 farms and 10 huts, the majority of which are disconnected.
- Build 2 Divine Statues. They don't need to be connected.
- Complete quest 7 and gain 25 Barley.
- Sell both divine statues
- Buy a second expansion adjacent to the one you purchased already on the farm side of your hall (cost 5 barley)
- Rearrange your base so that you can build 2 Nubian Archery Ranges (nubian) and connect as many huts as possible to roads (you can fit and power both Nubian and 2 huts in the 4*8 region, 1 hut is in the 6*8 region with the farms, and the other 7 huts are in the expansions you bought).
- At this stage you'll have 2 expansions, 3 farms, 2 nubian, 10 huts, 20 Barley, around 300 loot, and completed 7 quests

9 hours
- Collect the 3*4-hour barley productions when they finish.
- Start production in 1 farm
- Sell the other 2 farms
- Start building 2 Nubian Archers
- Buy pots until you have 160 diplomacy
- Buy the tech for Pottery for 30 barley
- Rearrange your base to build 2 pottery (you can fit 2 pottery and 5 huts in the 6*8 region, and 1 farm and 3+ huts in the expansions)
- Build extra huts if you can connect them to roads
- At this stage you'll have 2 expansions, 1 farm, 2 pottery, 2 nubian, 10+ huts, 5 Barley, around 250 loot, and completed 7 quests

10 hours
Start 2*4-hour pottery production as soon as the buildings are complete in 1 hour.
- At this stage you'll have 2 expansions, 1 farm, 2 pottery, 2 nubian, 10+ huts, 5 Barley, around 150 loot, and completed 7 quests

14 hours
- Collect the 3*4-hour productions when they finish
- Complete quest 8
- Defeat the Medium army in the pyramid. Fight manually to avoid losses. At this stage you'll just have 2 attached Nubian Archer; use them if it makes sense to do so. The medium battle will yield 305-400 loot (I'll assume 350 for simplicity)
- Start 3*8-hour productions
- Buy 4 expansions (cost 1,1,1,5 pottery)
- Build extra good farms and/or pottery if you can fuel them (this will require getting lucky with 4* bonus, or completing the hard battle [I'd normally wait until I have 4 nubian before doing the hard battle, but you may do it sooner if you get a lucky matchup for your unattached troops])
- At this stage you'll have 6 expansions, 1+ farm, 2+ pottery, 2 nubian, 14+ huts, 10 Barley, 2 Pottery, around 200 loot, and completed 8 quests

22 hours
- Collect the 3*8-hour productions when they finish
- Start 3*4-hour productions
- At this stage you'll have 6 expansions, 1+ farm, 2+ pottery, 2 nubian, 14+ huts, 20 Barley, 22 Pottery, around 50 loot, and completed 8 quests

26 hours
- Defeat the Easy army in the pyramid. Fight manually*to avoid losses and use attached troops where possible
- Collect the 3*4-hour productions when they finish
- Start 3*4-hour productions
- Start building troops in all buildings
- At this stage you'll have 6 expansions, 1+ farm, 2+ pottery, 2 nubian, 14+ huts, 25 Barley, 32 Pottery, around 200 loot, and completed 8 quests

30 hours and on
- Repeat the steps from 26 Hours.
- What comes next depends on what mix of goods you need for technology.
- My advice is to look at the total goods you need to buy the technology all the way up to flower farms. Keep your mix of 1 farm and 2 pottery for as long as possible, but when you have enough of one or the other, sell ALL the goods buildings and build a bunch of pots to so that you can buy the clay house tech. Then replace huts with houses as much as possible, and build 3 of the good building you need to get to flowers.
- Once you have all the goods needed for flowers, sell ALL goods and coins buildings again and put pots everywhere. Unlock palms, then sell all the pots and build palms. This should give you enough diplomacy to get flowers.
- Build 3 flowers and set 3*4-hour production, and buy 3 expansions when those productions finish

And that's it. Hope it helps :)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser117610

hi one confusion how do you fit 3 x 3x4 barley and a hut with road? in the 8x6?

Hi Sue,

Imagine 4 farms filling the 6*8 space.Now remove one farm, and shift the one next to it across one space. This leaves a 3*1 and a 3*3 space, in which you can fit the roads and hut.

PS Edited the OP to put the dimensions in the correct order (ie 6*8 rather than 8*6)

Last edited by a moderator:
Under the " 0 Hours" section you say " dont lose any troops".. I find that very difficult when the enemy has archers with a range of 6 and all our team only have a range of 1... so I just put 1 kopesh fighter into my army (no other units) and lose it via autoBattle, guaranteeing a maximum loss of one which can be replaced when the Training Camp is commenced.

DeletedUser116810

I completed one game with no problem. However, this time, when I use autobattle I am always defeated, even though my trops are overwhemingly superior. Could this be a bug or am I doing something wrong?

DeletedUser117610

Don’t do auto battle. Use the troop bonuses; Khopesh get 20 bonus to attack and defence when they’re adjacent to other Khopesh so arrange them outside archer range so that the front most has 3 troops adjacent to it (for 60 bonus). Preserve as much adjacency as possible as you engage.

@Justmadmax you lose 1 troop on purpose? Yeah don’t do that
@CleverSword your troops are never “overwhelmingly superior”. Your opponents always have a mix of troops so whilst you can stack the paper-scissors-rock in your favour there are almost certainly going to be matchups in any battle that aren’t favourable to you. Your biggest asset is knowing your troops and controlling them manually.

Basic combat is beyond the scope of this article but you can google that, and there are probably specific guides around for Egypt troops. But generally just make it so that you engage with range when the opponent is out of range. When you engage melee ensure that you’re using all/most of your troops to hit the front opponents while their full army is out of range, decide when you need to retreat heavily injured troops to keep them alive or whether it’s better to get one last hit from them or soak a bullet for the sake of the team. You shouldn’t lose any troops against the easy army, keep practising on manual and you’ll get it.

DeletedUser116810

Don’t do auto battle. Use the troop bonuses; Khopesh get 20 bonus to attack and defence when they’re adjacent to other Khopesh so arrange them outside archer range so that the front most has 3 troops adjacent to it (for 60 bonus). Preserve as much adjacency as possible as you engage.

@Justmadmax you lose 1 troop on purpose? Yeah don’t do that
@CleverSword your troops are never “overwhelmingly superior”. Your opponents always have a mix of troops so whilst you can stack the paper-scissors-rock in your favour there are almost certainly going to be matchups in any battle that aren’t favourable to you. Your biggest asset is knowing your troops and controlling them manually.

Basic combat is beyond the scope of this article but you can google that, and there are probably specific guides around for Egypt troops. But generally just make it so that you engage with range when the opponent is out of range. When you engage melee ensure that you’re using all/most of your troops to hit the front opponents while their full army is out of range, decide when you need to retreat heavily injured troops to keep them alive or whether it’s better to get one last hit from them or soak a bullet for the sake of the team. You shouldn’t lose any troops against the easy army, keep practising on manual and you’ll get it.
Many thanks - i'll start practising manual combat

DeletedUser118860

Under the " 0 Hours" section you say " dont lose any troops".. I find that very difficult when the enemy has archers with a range of 6 and all our team only have a range of 1... so I just put 1 kopesh fighter into my army (no other units) and lose it via autoBattle, guaranteeing a maximum loss of one which can be replaced when the Training Camp is commenced.
I'm not sure why you would want to lose even 1 troop. What does that accomplish? Am I missing something?

DeletedUser

I like this Guide very much and thank you for it. I've employed similar myself. I did not however complete Kopesh Training Camp, I built for Q, collected, sold immediately and employed space for other buildings, siting 2 Nubian Ranges ASAP. Manual is of course a far better path to follow, I regard it as best practice.
One thing I have found in this Settlement; multipliers have been given sooner and with greater incidence than the other two. Maybe just my good fortune, maybe not.

DeletedUser117610

@Lugh Longarm Thanks for the useful feedback. I like having 2 Nubian Archers also. I said in the guide to build a camp for the quest and then sell it immediately afterwards. However I did later say that you’d likely want to get one of each of the other troops types with the pottery expansions which I no longer do myself so I’ll have to update that part when I know what to replace it with. I’m currently testing having just the 2*nubian, with the occasional camel (from the quest reward) thrown in if too many nubians are injured. I’m also finding the 4* happens more than I’d expect so it’s making it a little hard to judge how many good buildings you could afford to put down in place of the other troop buildings. The problem is that with low % chance of getting 4* you’ll get a wide variance so it’s hard to say exactly what people should do; if you get 4* early or frequently then you can afford to keep a whole lot of goods buildings running with few troops, but if you whiff then you won’t have the loot needed to support them. I’ll theory craft that one day and update the OP when I do.

DeletedUser

I too went for 1 of each Mil, apart from Kopesh and mixed and matched especially in Hard Battles. I like the Chariots and War Elephants although space can be a limiting factor. Camels have been remarkably effective and "Strike Back" is a nice touch, regardless of source. The Multipliers will always be random so my experience is no guarantee of others doing well on that score. I think your Guide is excellent and should give all Players the best intro to the Strats needed for Egypt.

suethegreat

Captain
My downfall is reluctance to manually fight. As an experiment i went for the medium fight when army recovered winning first and got wiped out. Tried again with 3 different army camps and again wiped out after first win and on paper should have held my own... not really a fix lol. Had to give up on the guide as auto fight meant i needed to keep the training camp and once deleted it takes ages to rebuild. Little wonder the game has a long time frame. Trying to smuggle in pick axes too blinking rocks!

I'm not sure why you would want to lose even 1 troop. What does that accomplish? Am I missing something?
I gave the explanation. The enemy has archers. The player does not. So its difficult to win without losing at least one unit. In short I dont lose out as I will lose at least one unit anyway so it might as well be the least valuable one.

RedRobin

Private
The Cultivated Palms of 2 square and Decorated Palms of 3 square looks quite similar and it gets very difficult while planning the city layout. Inno should replace one of these decorations with something visually different like an obelisk.

DeletedUser113766

Excellent guide. For the later stages its worth checking out the settlement guide that explains the tasks so you are not caught out. In particular planning to build a place of prayer which is quite big, but can be destroyed as soon as built.

Zeratul 2.0

Lieutenant Colonel
After this point:

----------------------------------------------------
14 hours
- Defeat the Medium army in the pyramid.

Before this point:

26 hours
- Defeat the Easy army in the pyramid. Fight manually*to avoid losses and use attached troops where possible

Something this guide did not mention:

(The Hard battle of Day #1)

2020-06-20 16_07_13-Window.png

Question: Am I supposed to skip this battle?

See also the mathematical analysis of the egyptian settlement

, which also assumes the player won all three battles every day in Scenario No.1

Last edited:

DeletedUser117610

@Bewildered Zeratul i avoid the hard battle until I have Nubian archers. I build 2 buildings for them at the earliest opportunity. In the guide I suggested doing the hard battle at 30h+; I normally do it before then but you don’t really need to and it depends what troops you’re facing as to whether you should try. I’ll update the guide one day soon to describe that part better.

PS I don’t agree with all parts of the mathematical analysis, it’s written from a theoretical rather than experiential standpoint and doesn’t capture some aspects IMHO.