• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Analysing the value of the (Easter event) Wishing Well

DeletedUser102246

Wishing Well -- Goods, not Diamonds

Yep, the goods from one's current age are the main way the wells earn their keep in my view too.

I strongly agree with you. At first I was disappointed to learn how unlikely the diamonds rewards would be from my 2 wishing wells (1 from eggs, 1 from chest). But over time I've come to appreciate how helpful the goods are to tech advancement. The instant my tech level goes up I can start seeing age-appropriate goods, without having to add any expansions, population or new (and highly expensive) goods buildings. I rarely have problems obtaining the small batches of new goods required for the current level. That saves me a lot of time and resources in the long run.

So now I view the occasional diamonds as *gravy*, with 3 times lucky at roughly the predicted 1% rate of return.

DeletedUser15432

Well, with 11 wells scattered across 8 worlds I see diamonds fairly often but the best is when the wells give me either forge points or medals which happen quite frequently

DeletedUser99445

I eventually got rid of all my Wells. Took up too much valuable space.

DeletedUser105544

Free source of diamonds my friend, no competition with that. There are no other buildings that produce diamonds.

Surge

Brigadier-General
Free source of diamonds my friend, no competition with that. There are no other buildings that produce diamonds.

A building that could possibly give you diamonds. Hmm, very charming. Well unfortunately the chances are dim. I have had wells since Easter '13 and I have collected a grand total of less than 10 diamond clicks. When the first event ran I had one well. Then I got hold of three more and built them. Tore down three of them in favor of other buildings and now am recollecting more wells, so I have two right now. The prospect of diamonds is just bait. It's unbelievably rare.

DeletedUser15432

The actual odds are a 1% chance every click so theoretically if you have 2 wells in your city, and have had them for 500 days, you should theoretically receive a grand total of 500 diamonds (10 collections)

DeletedUser96901

.... There are no other buildings that produce diamonds.
actually my Chateau Frontenac can produce diamonds
not directly when collecting from the building, but when I get diamond rewards in quests

here some examples (Chateau level 10):
last quest in contemporary era main questline: normally 200 diamonds. I got 500. in that case the Chateau produced 300 diamonds
summer event: last quest: normally 250 diamonds. which was increased to 625. makes 375 diamonds the Chateau gave me
and so on

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser99445

The actual odds are a 1% chance every click so theoretically if you have 2 wells in your city, and have had them for 500 days, you should theoretically receive a grand total of 500 diamonds (10 collections)

That would work out about a Penny's worth of diamonds a day.
I would rather keep the space for something valuable. More troops, Goods, Supplies, Another GB in the City.
I can find a Penny every Day to replace 2 Wishing Wells.

DeletedUser15432

There are other advantages form the wishing well besides the diamonds that are accrued, advantages as follows: -

A wishing well can never be plundered, therefore, the prizes are always safe
You can receive the following prizes (I can not remember the actual frequencies, for that you will need to ask Byeordie)
Supplies - quantity changes with each age that you progress
Coins - as above
Medals - as above
Forge points - 2
Goods - 10 per collection up to PE and then 20 of a lesser age from modern

Surge

Brigadier-General
The "unplunderable" thing is just a little gimmick the Wishing Well has. Considering just one of my Waterfront Residentials makes more coins in its four hour cycle than the WW does in one day, it is ultimately just there with the allure of diamonds. Also, consider I have 23 houses and collect maybe 2-3 times per day, having an unplunderable source of coins or even supplies is not even necessary. Right now I am keeping the wells because, for one I am at this point where I don't even care what I throw at my city, and secondly, linked to the first, I could just blow some space and build those things. Maybe once I get about, say five WWs I would perhaps see a respectable rate of diamond collections. My CF helps earn me all the diamonds I need, and I got about 800 in about two months. Also, I am a collector. I collect either intriguing or useless junk. I still have six Oases in my inventory from the Summer Event. I don't want to build them, but I am not deleting them either. I still have six Victory Towers, which aren't really that useful. Actually I think they're worth even less than WWs, even in bulk, but hey, I built them and they're not killing me, so whatever.

Again, realistically, people build WWs not for coins or supplies because they get a ton of those from buildings around the WW. Two forge points are disappointing for one of the rarer rewards, but better than the coins/supplies (especially when the coins it provides is fewer than how much a single FP costs for me at the moment). Medals are stepping it up, but I need 30,000 medals for the next expansion, and the WWs don't help that much at all. I guess goods are okay. Who knows, maybe you'll score goods you don't have the bonus to. But when a single tech requires upwards of 400 goods of one type in the late ages, this feature just becomes another gimmick, and that's really why I bashed the Oases in my coin guide. The real meat of this is the possibility of diamonds, but, again, it's just rare and, as Gate2 states, it's a penny's worth of diamonds per day on average. You would have to collect these darn things constantly if you want to see some sort of result. Good luck. With that. And even after you collected, say 20 of these things (the most I've ever seen a city have was 24, but that was ages ago... literally), you'd already be taking up way too much space which is better utilized by other producers. Whoop-de-doo.

I guess anyone could find and build one of these and it wouldn't harm them. But be realistic with them and don't expect to be premium-rich with them. It's basically a lottery. Both the WW and the lottery is pretty much bait, except you could find a WW instead of buying it for 2k diamonds, but then it would absolutely defeat the purpose of WWs if you are in it for the diamonds, and that would cost maybe $25 USD. So, you know, whatever.

DeletedUser99445

There are other advantages form the wishing well besides the diamonds that are accrued, advantages as follows: -

A wishing well can never be plundered, therefore, the prizes are always safe
You can receive the following prizes (I can not remember the actual frequencies, for that you will need to ask Byeordie)
Supplies - quantity changes with each age that you progress
Coins - as above
Medals - as above
Forge points - 2
Goods - 10 per collection up to PE and then 20 of a lesser age from modern

Having read the advantages, I am as convinced as ever that they just aren't worth their space in a game where space is premium.
There is nothing of any value coming out of a Wishing Well except for an average of Half A Penny's worth of Diamonds per day per Well. Your list makes a compelling case to unload them.
Thanks but no thanks. I have one in my city for the sake of having it but every day I look at it and want to lose it.
Its days are numbered.

DeletedUser6065

I am moving in that direction as well. Have 1 in Fel, 1 in Hounds, and that's about 2 too many. Don't try for them in any of the events, and am not upset when I don't get one (well, maybe a little when I get another blueprint as the 'prize').

. . . . . mk

DeletedUser103932

I have over 20 wishing wells guys and I only collected about 300 diamonds all up. Mind you I had only 2 WW's that I've got during the summer quest and the rest I just got during the winter quest.
It mainly fives goods and coins and supply, but I often get FP's and normally 4 ww's so I get 8FP's 3-4 times a week. It's not too bad. I actually spent a lot of money on diamonds so I could get more WW's so I am fairly disappointed too.

DeletedUser99445

Dinegu City Wishing Well was sadly destroyed by all the disgruntled citizens who didn't get any of their wishes granted.

DeletedUser

The value of Wishing Wells as diamond-generating buildings can be easily estimated. The first thing the diamonds should be spent on is the expansions. Let us calculate how long will it take for a WW to pay for its own space.

WW generates 50 diamonds with probability 1%, thus we have income 0.5 diamonds/day.

WW with "normal" road takes 10.5 tiles.

Diamond expansions in mid-ages cost 600 diamonds/expansion, or 600/16 = 37.5 diamonds/tile.

Thus, the pay-off time for a WW is (10.5 tiles) * (37.5 diamonds/tile) / (0.5 diamonds/day) = 787.5 days, or a little bit over 2 years.