• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Analysing the real value of Great Buildings

DeletedUser15501

Babel comes into it's own once it reaches level 10 and are in modern era or above,as a 4x4 build it is a standard size goods build without the cost.

But I don't need those goods at all, so it would be a 100% waste of FP and space for me.

DeletedUser107476

Why would you assume this? I have plenty of goods to trade with without Babel...
Maybe it is perspective as once I have the higher era goods I tend to unfair trade down to help guild members get higher era GB's. Starting from when I reach PE so need a lot of goods pumping out.

numbrcrunchr

Master Corporal
In regards to my survey results, the least popular GBs that are attainable in the early parts of the game are the Notre Dame and Colosseum. The survey suggests that these GBs are relatively unhelpful for advanced players, but I'm aware of a school of thought out there that these GBs are helpful in the early eras, become less helpful as one progresses, so they should then be ditched a few eras later.
But then again, aren't there better things to do with your valuable FPs than to use them on GBs that you're not going to hold on to in the long term?
Thoughts?

DeletedUser107476

How do you analyse a GB when it varies upon era you are in and upon level of GB.

DeletedUser7719

But then again, aren't there better things to do with your valuable FPs than to use them on GBs that you're not going to hold on to in the long term?
Thoughts?
That is exactly the reason why they aren't useful, because you spend hundreds of FP to try to make them useful, only to essentially waste them as you reach the later ages. You much rather spend your FPs on the useful GBs trying to level them up since they will be helpful for forever.

How do you analyse a GB when it varies upon era you are in and upon level of GB.
It's always best to look at a GB long term, so you would try to compare the usefulness of level 10 in the a span of 400-800 days

DeletedUser107476

It's always best to look at a GB long term, so you would try to compare the usefulness of level 10 in the a span of 400-800 days
With the amount of players who are long term players quitting the game I am not confident the game will be here in 400-800 days time unless inno starts fixing the issues.

numbrcrunchr

Master Corporal
The survey results indicate that the advanced players level their Alcatraz and CdM well beyond level 10, which requires the ongoing acquisition of BPs beyond the initial requirement to get the GB up. There is a temptation to trade in BPs to get one's GB up and running sooner, however this is a false economy, especially for GBs you intend to grow beyond level 10. For example, if you only have 1 BP left to complete your set, there is only a 1/9 chance of getting the BP that you want by trading, and in the process you lose 1 BP....a BP that could have been used later to open up higher levels.

numbrcrunchr

Master Corporal
I intend to repeat my survey of December 2015 in the next month or two, to see if the new points system has led to any significant changes to the rankings, and whether the more recently added GBs (in 2015) have progressed through the rankings. In the meantime, below is a distillation of GB ideas I’ve discussed on my guild’s message board, and have added it here for the broad FoE community:

I've just compiled a list of the the goods GBs and their rate of return on FPs invested. Bear in mind that the GBs have different footprints, and all of them also provide a different second benefit which some players may be in need of which may influence the decision to build and level. Further, some GBs are only really attainable much later in the game given the goods required to build. With all these caveats in mind, here is the list of GBs with the rate of return of goods on FPs required at level 10 only.
SMB 3.85
RFP 3.51
LofA 3.45
RAH 3.42
Babel 2.94
Dresden 2.3

In regards to the December 2015 survey, the Lighthouse of Alexandria was the most popular goods GB, with the SMB a very close second. However on closer scrutiny, I found that in Mt Killmore, the Lighthouse's lead over the SMB was handy, whilst in another world, Dinegu, the SMB won. Dinegu is an older world than Mt Killmore and the advanced players there have much higher scores than their Mr Killmore counterparts. I think the differences between the popularity rankings for the two world suggests that the supply boost provided by the LoA is more useful to players in the early eras than the coins boost of the SMB. After a while, when supplies are in abundance, the focus shifts to the superior goods return on Fps invested of the SMB, and the coins boost of the SMB.

In regards to the footprint and analysing the return per square at level 10, the RAH gives 3.42 goods/100FPs for 42 squares, vs the Dresden's 2.3 goods/100FPs for 25 squares.
On a per square basis the result is RAH 0.081 vs Dresden 0.092, so the Dresden wins here...only just. The smallest goods GBs, LofA scores 0.22, and Babel 0.18.

What if you’re deciding between the Babel, RAH, and Dresden? If you don’t care for the secondary bonus of any of these GBs, it comes down to getting the most amount of goods on invested FPs and space. If you the build the Babel AND Dresden to level 5, how does that compare to building the RAH to a level that gets you the same number of goods?
The Babel and Dresden combined has a total footprint of 41, compared to the RAHs of 42. To get the Babel and Dresden each from ground to level 5 requires a combined total of 1380 FPs for a return of 21 goods at level 5. You get the same number of goods from the RAH at level 7, and 1780 FPs are needed to get the RAH from ground to level 7. In this scenario, the Babel and Dresden combination gives a 29% better return on FPs than the RAH alone, for a slightly smaller footprint

If however you commit yourself to all 3 of them: Dresden, Babel and RAH, then your best approach is to level the RAH higher than the Dresden or Babel to get the best return on FPs. Once you've build your GB, the footprint cost is a one off, so the focus from then on should be on goods returned per FP.

numbrcrunchr

Master Corporal
I’ve repeated the survey 5 months after the first, to see whether the new points allocation system has changed the rankings and whether the GBs that were released in 2015 had an opportunity to increase their ranking over time. 9 of the original cohort of 20 had been replaced by the time of the second survey.

Bearing in mind the weaknesses of this kind of survey are that it focuses only on the elite players, many of whom may be credit card players as well. With that caveat in mind, here are the results, in order from most popular GBs to least popular. Scoring method is unchanged.

648 Alcatraz

429 The Arc

382 Castel Del Monte

310 Cape Canaveral

249 Cathedral of Aachen

242 Statue of Zeus

170 Innovation Tower

166 Chateau Frontenac

151 Observatory

137 St Mark’s Basilica

135 Lighthouse of Alexandria

119 St Basil’s Cathedral

114 Atomium

106 Rain Forest Project

98 Deal Castle

96 Royal Albert Hall

82 Dynamic Tower

76 The Habitat

76 Tower of Babel

64 Frauenkirche of Dresden

47 Hagia Sophia

24 Lotus Temple

12 Voyager V1

9 Space Needle

1 Capitol

0 Notre Dame

0 Colosseum

the big advancers since the first survey are:

the Arc: up by 349 points, going from 15th to 2nd place

Cape Canaveral: increased score by 157, going from 5th to 4th place.

CdM: up by 102, but dropping from 2nd to 3rd.

RFP: up by 74, moving from 21st to 14th.

Well done to HRC for predicting the improved status of The Arc and the Rain Forest Project. In particular, HRC was spot on in predicting that the Arc would become a top 2 GB. The RFP didn’t quite make it to the top 6 but who knows what the future holds.

The biggest decliner was the Hagia, losing 60 points, going from 11th to 21st place.

The Alcatraz maintained its number one place, its total score barely different from the first survey, with The Arc at no. 2 closing the gap.

The bottom 6 GBs remain unchanged.

Of the 11 players who were surveyed twice, 5 owned the Hagia at the first survey, but only 1 kept the Hagia for the second survey. This player's Hagia was at level 13 for both surveys, which was the highest level attained compared to the 4 other players who sold their Hagia.

This might suggest that there may still be a case for building the Hagia during the early eras, as the happiness is useful for a few eras until one acquires the Alcatraz. A level 5 Hagia has usually paid for itself in a few hundred days, assuming one is logging on daily, although a higher level Hagia will take a lot longer to do so. It is possible that the player with the level 13 Hagia is either waiting for pay off or has fallen for the ‘sunk cost’ trap.

A suggested approach to the Hagia might be to build it as soon as you can, and nurture it for its happiness, but no higher than level 5 and stop adding FPs when the Alcatraz is built. After a few hundred days, maybe longer, it has paid for itself and more, and only replace it when you’re tight for space and are able to replace it with one of the highly rated, latter era GBs.

The attack bonus GBs advanced in their scores but the Alcatraz did not. This could suggest that the top players feel the quantity of troops provided by the Alcatraz is sufficient, and are shifting their focus to quality, ie attack bonus. It might also suggest that the Alcatraz’s happiness is sufficient for their era to no longer require any cultural buildings or decorations, so there is no incentive to increase the Alcatraz’s happiness beyond this.

I’ll repeat the survey at year’s end. Interesting to see if The Arc takes number 1 spot.

Last edited:

DeletedUser653

Nothing much has changed my view over the last year or so with the exception of FE Gb's

Lighthouse/StMarks/Zeus essential early buildings which will never get deleted
CDM/Aarchen essential fighting buildings
Traz - needed for any serious fighting or GvG
Cape - a serious good return of FP for the size of building
Chat.Front - a essential building for every player who reaches the repeating quests and easily pays its way, but merely nice to have before then as not enough bonus opportunities
Innovation tower - essential for bigger players who need the population it provides, but you need it at L10 or greater for it to work well
ARC - what can i say , the must have GB of the Future Age, players now are getting 90% bonus of FP wins and because of this are investing thousands per day chasing 1st and 2nd place in other ARCs (normally 2 players working together), players now have bank rolls of 100k FP points, ,ost of which is always invested in someones elses Arc. It will become the #1 but Traz should be the #1.
Atom/Obs - try to have one of these alongside the arc for the Guild.

As for the rest most are a waste of FP and if you really think would i prefer 1000 FP into one of the ones listed above or a Babel its pretty clear that 1000 FP is better spent on the ones listed above.

Other views and possible options are
Habitate, if you really need big pop and can get this up to L10 it can pay its way but beware getting it stuck at L4-5 where most players habitats tend to get stuck as not other player wants the BP's
Rainforest - big increase in BP but tending to think its now a waste of FP and I would now prefer to have all my FP donated in the RainForest donated to my ARC and free up the space for more troops, am thinking of deleting my
RAH - if you can get it before you build a lighthouse then its really good, but not really needed by most once a decent lighthouse is built and of course we normally get a lighthouse going long before a RAH

Rest - do not build as not long term and nothing worst then deleting a L8 building and seeing the thousands of FP's go to waste which if they were spent on your really useful GB's would have really helped you a lot.

This is written for an attacking GvG player and would indeed be different if I was a farmer. Remember only build a GB if you intend to keep it forever and get it to a high enough level to be useful, too many players have GB's stuck at L4 to L5.

all IMHO and feel free to disagree

DeletedUser

I have built my Colosseum, which was the first GB that I had complete plans for. I have built it up to the lvl 3. Meanwhile I obtained the Haghia Sophia plans. Would you suggest to dismantle the Colosseum and built the Haghia Sophia in its place? I will hardly afford the space for both, and HS seems to be better later on...?

Estipar

Chief Warrant Officer
At higher levels the Colosseum is not that useful and consumes far too much space..There are much better GB's you can build like the Haghia Sophia as you suggested.. I would replace it as soon as you can :)

DeletedUser653

personally i would build neither, both will cost a a hell of a lot of FP to get remotely useful and as such better GB to spend those FP on

numbrcrunchr

Master Corporal
there are quite a few goods GBs, so maybe the question should be which goods GB don't I get? Although the Dresden ranks lowest of them all, I decided to get that, and the Babel and have decided not to get the RAH. See my earlier post above for the reasons. The Dresden/Babel combination has a slightly smaller footprint than the RAH and gives more goods per fps invested. I'd only consider getting the RAH if I have a severe chronic supply shortage that can't be remedied by levelling up the LofA a few levels.
Of late I've seen a lot of excitement with the new GB: Temple of Relics. Interesting to see what rank it attains at my next survey. Quite a few players already have it above level 10, and it only came out a week or so ago.
Also, if the Expeditions have widespread popularity, there may be greater pressure to get the attack GBs up a few more levels, which may elevate their ranking next time around.

Last edited:

numbrcrunchr

Master Corporal
3rd survey completed, 5 months after the second survey.
Since the last survey, 3 new GBs have come on to the scene: Arctic Orangery, Temple of Relics, and the Gaea.
11 players from the second cohort of 20 have been replaced. We still have 5 players from the first cohort.

Results:
788 The Arc
745 Alcatraz
570 Castel Del Monte
442 Cape Canaveral
390 Statue of Zeus
338 Cathedral of Aachen
293 Chateau Frontenac
287 Innovation Tower
268 Arctic Orangery
239 Temple of Relics
167 Lighthouse of Alexandria
141 Observatory
135 Rain Forest Project
131 St Mark's Basilica
124 St Basil's Cathedral
102 Hagia Sophia
99 Atomium
96 The Habitat
96 Royal Albert Hall
91 Deal Castle
85 Tower of Babel
71 Frauenkirche of Dresden
42 Dynamic Tower
21 Gaea
13 Voyager V1
11 Lotus Temple
9 Notre Dame
2 Capitol
0 Colosseum
0 Space Needle

the biggest advancers since the second survey are:
The Arc: up by 359 points, going from 2nd to 1st place
CdM: +188, remaining in 3rd.
Zeus: +148, remaining at 5th.
Cape Canaveral: +132, remains at 4th

Of the 3 newly released GBs, the Temple of Relics and Arctic Orangery have proven to be very popular. Can’t say the same about the Gaea.

the biggest decliner is the Dynamic Tower, losing 40 points, dragging it down from 17th to 23rd.

and in an interesting reversal of fortune, the Hagia Sophia is up 55 points; almost, but not quite erasing its losses from the second survey, taking it from 21st to 16th. Its original status at the first survey was 11th.

Last edited:

DeletedUser653

3rd survey completed, 5 months after the second survey.
Since the last survey, 3 new GBs have come on to the scene: Arctic Orangery, Temple of Relics, and the Gaea.
11 players from the second cohort of 20 have been replaced. We still have 5 players from the first cohort.

Results:
788 The Arc
745 Alcatraz
As predicted the top two GB's were Traz and Arc - both massive game changes for FOE and no other GB has had such a dramatic effect on the game.

Great work angeloferraro