• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Analysing the real value of Great Buildings

DeletedUser3157

since then I have 10000 diamonds do not receive other missions. however, if I spend, and I go back to 0, I can receive 1-5%?

I'm pretty sure it depends on how many times u've gotten the diamond reward, not on ur diamond total. Anyways odds of getting diamonds for the same quest 2nd time must be indeed really slim. I myself have never gotten diamonds twice for the same quest and I'm pretty sure I've done at least 1k PE rotating quests by now.

DeletedUser15432

I beg to differ Ggryvl. On one of the quests I have had diamonds twice. However, the percentage of diamonds must be extremely low. I'm doing about 15 or 16 loop quests a day so it must be a fraction of a percentage possibility.

Nice to see you here Kick, I agree, you do get diamonds more than once on a loop quest cycle - percentage for me is 0.75%

DeletedUser7719

I'm pretty sure it depends on how many times u've gotten the diamond reward, not on ur diamond total. Anyways odds of getting diamonds for the same quest 2nd time must be indeed really slim. I myself have never gotten diamonds twice for the same quest and I'm pretty sure I've done at least 1k PE rotating quests by now.
You play on multiple worlds, right? Maybe diamonds earned from quests affects all worlds

DeletedUser3157

I play yes, but I've done rotating quests only in 1 in any proper scale. In other 7 I'm just now finishing up research trees and hitting the first rotating quests etc.

Btw on topic about Frontac, I think I've changed my mind enough over time to lean towards maybe now building it. Hood merge system change has had big influence on tghat throught process among other things.

DeletedUser15432

I play yes, but I've done rotating quests only in 1 in any proper scale. In other 7 I'm just now finishing up research trees and hitting the first rotating quests etc.

Btw on topic about Frontac, I think I've changed my mind enough over time to lean towards maybe now building it. Hood merge system change has had big influence on tghat throught process among other things.

Well, originally, I also did not think that Frontenac was worth the effort, however, I tried it in my City on Dinegu just to see what it was like and I have seriously changed my mind with regards to this building. It has lots of attributes going for it that do not at first seem apparent.

At lower levels for a start it gives the same coin boosts as a mid level Aachen, then add in the bonuses from the quests and you have the potential of a tower of babel, a second Aachen coins wise, and a notre dame supplies wise all rolled into a single great building. I am seriously considering adding one to each of the other two major cities when I have the room.

DeletedUser3157

Well, originally, I also did not think that Frontenac was worth the effort, however, I tried it in my City on Dinegu just to see what it was like and I have seriously changed my mind with regards to this building. It has lots of attributes going for it that do not at first seem apparent.

At lower levels for a start it gives the same coin boosts as a mid level Aachen, then add in the bonuses from the quests and you have the potential of a tower of babel, a second Aachen coins wise, and a notre dame supplies wise all rolled into a single great building. I am seriously considering adding one to each of the other two major cities when I have the room.

Yes, I actually built it 2 days ago. It works just as I expected nothing special, but my own reason for building it had mostly to do with modern era goods system.

DeletedUser653

Agree about Frontenac, i think it was the last building to be built for me and i resisted till got to rotating quests

DeletedUser7719

IMO, I wouldn't guarantee it to a progressing player though. It's only really, really, useful if you keep on hitting the end of the tech tree ;) (It's decent-ish if not)

DeletedUser653

what about the new GB's I intend to build the cape as the size and FP's look good, but not sure about much else for myself. Guild wise, the Observatory should be mandatory for all players and Atom mandatory for top 10% of players in a guild.

DeletedUser101433

Alcatraz was originally a Military Fortress

Updated (originally just a placeholder) re my thoughts on the new Progressive era Great Buildings.
Note: Original posting (page 1) has hit the size limit for text - I cannot add anything further unless I prune somewhere else as well. That said, it probably needs a trim ;)
Martynius has posted some info re the Progressive Era GBs in the Great Buildings Encyclopedia thread, in this post.
Alcatraz
The Alcatraz Great Building is huge at 7x10 (70 squares), so will be a big pain to fit into your city. It provides happiness and free unattached units each day, of any type that you can already produce, including Rogues. So delete your Spearthrower barracks already! Thematically, it's a very cool idea for PvP players, but the benefits don't really fit in with my idea of what a Prison should be about. Perhaps the happiness is from keeping prisoners away from society; while on the inside they secretly brainwash and reprogram the prisoners into being soldiers? Inconsistent, but oh well.

Originally Alcatraz was to be used as a Military Fort to protect San Francisco Bay. Then when the Civil War broke out it started to house Confederate sympathizers on the west coast and Confederate POW's and privateers (private person or ship authorized by a government by letters of marque to attack foreign vessels during wartime). As it is a Progressive Era (1890-1920) building, it was still a Military building. Hence, the troops, and the happiness (the people feeling safe from ocean attack). It did not become a Federal prison until 1933.

numbrcrunchr

Master Corporal
I have the Hagia but am seriously thinking of getting rid of it. Currently meandering through Colonial, Hagia at level 5, and will need 320 FP to get to 6. Currently providing 3100 happiness, 3 FP/day. I can buy cultural buildings that provide more happiness per square than the Hagia level 5. Sure if I get it to level 10, the happiness per square may improve, but that will take a lot of FP and by that stage cultural buildings of a future era may still offer a competitive happiness per square rate. Might be worth looking at the GBs that the very senior and seasoned players hold to get an idea of what to keep, what not to buy, and what to discard.

numbrcrunchr

Master Corporal
As per my last post, I’ve just completed a brief review of popular GBs owned by the leading players (according to points) in Mt Killmore and Dinegu. The scoring criteria I’ve used is as follows:
A GB at level 1 scores 1; at level 2 scores 2, and so on. No GBs were in the mud. If the player doesn’t have a particular GB, score is 0.
The scores are tallied according to GB. I included the top 10 players for Mt Killmore and the same for Dinegu, making for a sample of 20.

The most popular GB overall by a country mile was the Alcatraz. I wonder how much of this is driven by Alcatraz wannabe’s competing for BPs, given the benefits of ownership. The Castel del Monte was in a very distant second place.
In terms of least popular GBs, no one owned the Colosseum or the Capitol, and only one player had the Notre Dame.
Buildings which provided goods, troops, military bonuses (moreso when attacking), FPs, or contributed to the guild support pool or treasury tended to be more popular.

With respect to player ranking, the top Dinegu players are far more advanced than their Mt Killmore counterparts. None in the Mt Killmore group owned the Dynamic Tower, Lotus Temple, Space Needle, or Voyager V1. The Alcatraz of the Dinegu group was considerably more advanced than the Mt Killmore group. On the other hand, there was very little difference in the scores between the two groups for the Observatory, Lighthouse of Alexandria, and the Tower of Babel, which could suggest a lack of interest in further progressing these GBs as one advances from a multi-million point player, to a multi-billion point player, for whatever reason.

Here are the total combined scores, in order of popularity:

649 Alcatraz
280 Castel Del Monte
190 Cathedral of Aachen
184 Statue of Zeus
153 Cape Canaveral
147 Innovation Tower
138 Lighthouse of Alexandria
134 St Mark’s Basilica
131 Observatory
122 Chateau Frontenac
107 Hagia Sophia
105 St Basil’s Cathedral
88 Royal Albert Hall
81 Atomium
80 The Arc
68 Deal Castle
66 The Habitat
65 Dynamic Tower
63 Tower of Babel
57 Frauenkirche of Dresden
32 Rain Forest Project
31 Lotus Temple
9 Space Needle
7 Notre Dame
1 Voyager V1
0 Colosseum
0 Capitol

Last edited:

DeletedUser653

Nice work and now i can be vindicated from the GB's i have (in bold below) By the way I am heavily into GVG
649 Alcatraz (essential for game.)
280 Castel Del Monte (essential for any fighter, pvp or gvg)
190 Cathedral of Aachen (again essential for any pvp or gvg)
(essential for any fighter, pvp or gvg)
184 Statue of Zeus (yep, again essential for any pvp and gvg and normally 1st GB built along with lighthouse due to age)
153 Cape Canaveral (good payback on FP's but you must level it up to 6+ or its better to have SoKS)
147 Innovation Tower (I really need pop as normally around 90-100k population needed)
138 Lighthouse of Alexandria (really great little building and should be one of the first to be built, fantastic at L1 and only gets better as it levels up, tiny floor space too)
134 St Mark’s Basilica (luxury building as I can manage without it now, but for first 5 or 6 ages its essential to keep the coins coming in, i will keep it as who can have too many coins!)

131 Observatory (I do not have as got atom FP's first but great little building for the guild)
122 Chateau Frontenac (I always hit repeating quests, its a good GB when this happens)
107 Hagia Sophia
105 St Basil’s Cathedral
88 Royal Albert Hall
81 Atomium (nice for guild and also gives some happiness)
80 The Arc ( new building for FE, goods for guild are very good and I get bonus % on GB leveling awards, win for guild win for me, looks like a great building to really get high levels on)

68 Deal Castle
66 The Habitat (I do not like but forced to build as i needed the population increase and at higher levels it better than houses, innovation is better choice)
65 Dynamic Tower
63 Tower of Babel (worst GB along with space needle in my view, ok for some ages but gets deleted eventually and thus wastes all the FP donations)
57 Frauenkirche of Dresden
32 Rain Forest Project (Thought long and hard over this, goods are pretty good but I really need ARC BP's and the increased % chance of getting them made me do it.)
31 Lotus Temple
9 Space Needle (worst GB along with Babel in my view)
7 Notre Dame
1 Voyager V1 (why do non PVP plunderers build this ????)
0 Colosseum
0 Capitol

one point the numbers for the ARC/Rainforest are low because they only just came out, but see how quickly players are adopting the ARC I would say this will become a top 2 GB while rainforest will become top 5 or 6.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

63 Tower of Babel (worst GB along with space needle in my view, ok for some ages but gets deleted eventually and thus wastes all the FP donations)

I don't agree with this statement at all. Babel gets better as it ages, not the reverse. I have a ToB at level 8 - it gives me 26 PME goods daily in a 4x4 with a 1 lane road.

Since I only produce goods on 1 day timers, this makes it far better than having the equivalent in goods production. Think about it:
To produce 26 PME goods without goods buildings, I would need:
- 1.3 Industrial Age goods buildings. These use up 1020 population. 1020 x 1.3 = 1339 population. Also 12-20 tiles per goods building. On average, 15.8 tiles. 15.8 x 1.3 = 20.5 tiles.
- 1.3 PME goods buildings. These use up 1530 population. 1530 x 1.3 = 1989 population. Also 24-30 tiles per goods building. On average, 26.8 tiles. 26.8 x 1.3 = 34.8 tiles
Also, supply and coin cost to produce these goods is 31,200 coins & supplies [ (11200+12800) x 1.3 ]

Additionally, Babel supplies 670 population at level 8.

So net value of Babel, for me, is:
3228 population not used (so no need for extra happiness)
670 population added (need happiness to cover this)
31,200 coins & supplies daily
39 tiles of space saved.
* also these goods cannot be plundered

Plus it's tied for the least expensive GB to construct and level up.

Not saying it's the best GB or anything, but it is FAR from being the worst, especially in later ages.

I would rank Space Needle, Colosseum, Notre Dame, Lotus Temple, Deal Castle, St. Basil, Capitol, Hagia Sophia, Habitat, Frauenkirche of Dresden, and Voyager V1 all below Babel.

DeletedUser106685

I agree fully. Babel Tower is one of the best GB out there, especially when you are in the higher ages.

A goods building that gives 30 PME goods a day for free (when you're in Future Era), that can't be plundered, that GIVES population instead of needing population, on a small 4x4 footprint, using a 1x1 road, and only takes 2,500 FP to get it to level 10? It's just awesome.

Same logic applies to Dresden. The 5x5 footprint is smaller than most goods buildings (steel is 6x5 for example), and at level 10 this 'free' goods building gives 34 goods a day, as well as 4,900 happiness. Not bad at all.

I see too many players having these lower age goods buildings to keep their factories running. If you have these two GBs next you your Lighthouse, St. Marks and Royal Albert, you'll never need those again. This, and the additional population/happiness these GBs provide, saves tons of space.

I rank both these GBs way above Dynamic Tower and Voyager when you're in Future Era. (For lower age players DT is great to have.)

DeletedUser653

Babel is not very good at giving goods, both lighthouse and RAH beat it easily and give much better bonus too on supplies
Babbel is completely useless at providing POP as you grow in age and from PE on houses give more POP, highrise in PE is almost as much pop but from a smaller 3x3 shape and houses give coins.
Babbels big problem is that there are far far better GB's to spend your FP on and by the time you get to TE and FE you really should have deleted it and thus will have wasted 2500 FP if L10

Huscari, i will need to spend some time on your post but its 3am for me and just wanted to show my thoughts but i will revisit your number in the morning.

DeletedUser

Babel is not very good at giving goods, both lighthouse and RAH beat it easily and give much better bonus too on supplies
Babbel is completely useless at providing POP as you grow in age and from PE on houses give more POP, highrise in PE is almost as much pop but from a smaller 3x3 shape and houses give coins.
Babbels big problem is that there are far far better GB's to spend your FP on and by the time you get to TE and FE you really should have deleted it and thus will have wasted 2500 FP if L10

Huscarl, i will need to spend some time on your post but its 3am for me and just wanted to show my thoughts but i will revisit your number in the morning.

Babel being worse than other GBs doesn't make it bad.

A GB is bad when it's worse than normal buildings that you can build without FPs

Examples: ND, Lotus, Needle, Colosseum, Capitol

Also: Babel only requires 1500 FPs to reach level 8, and that's the level I used for my comparison. I only spent 300ish FPs to get it there.

I sell PME goods 2 for 1 FP so from that perspective my Babel produces 13 FPs daily.

153 Cape Canaveral (good payback on FP's but you must level it up to 6+ or its better to have SoKS)

So I don't follow your logic in liking Cape but not Babel. Because as you say, the

big problem is that there are far far better GB's to spend your FP on

like military GBs/Chateau/Arc/St Marks/Lighthouse

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser15501

Cape is nice because it increases your daily FP income. Babel is only nice if you trade PME goods for FP at a better rate than 5 goods/FP and do not have an excess amount of PME goods without it. I do not satisfy those conditions so Babel is useless for my city, Cape on the other hand is pretty useful for me. :)

DeletedUser107476

Cape is nice because it increases your daily FP income. Babel is only nice if you trade PME goods for FP at a better rate than 5 goods/FP and do not have an excess amount of PME goods without it. I do not satisfy those conditions so Babel is useless for my city, Cape on the other hand is pretty useful for me. :)
Babel comes into it's own once it reaches level 10 and are in modern era or above,as a 4x4 build it is a standard size goods build without the cost.