• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Already Suggested: age dependant battles

• Thread starter DeletedUser2029
  • Start date

DeletedUser2029

Proposal:
allow players to be attacked based on their progress on the world map, more precise based on the PvP tower conquering, and introduce "Infiltrate" option in PvP

Have you Checked the Ideas section for the same idea posted by someone else? Is this idea similar to one that has been previously suggested?
http://forum.en.forgeofempires.com/showthread.php?6343-Newbie-plundering-thresholds
I'm expanding on what I proposed here, so if someone wants to merge these threads, fine by me.

Reason:
Because of the weak AI, defending in this game is pretty impossible. There needs to be a system to protect new players and to give a chance to less active ones not to be bullied by the most developed warriors.
Also, I haven't read any decent suggestions about introducing espionage.

Details:
a player can not be attacked by his neighbors (and vice versa) until s/he conquers his/hers first PvP tower province.
- since there's a chance that some players will not be conquering Tyr (Bronze age tower province) that gives them a window of approximately 8 days before the main quest line brings them to mandatory conquering of Badakus (Iron age tower province) and opens them to neighborhood attacks

a player can be attacked only by units of the ages he/she has towers conquered
- that means that a player with LMA units can attack with LMA units only those players that have conquered LMA tower, but that doesn't stop him/her to attack these less developed players with lower age units (or to be clear, if you have conquered only Badakus, that means that you can only be attacked with iron age units, but by any player who has them)
- this might give less developed players a fighting chance against bullies
- problem is that a player with LMA units might find him/herself in a neighborhood where s/he can't attack anyone with LMA units (but I'm not considering this as an abuse)

instead of going straight to battlefield, when you click "attack" in the social bar, bring up the army management screen
- grey out units that are unable to participate in the attack (because the enemy hasn't conquered the tower that would allow you to attack him with those units)
- in the lower right quarter of the screen show enemy units (8 slots with question marks, even if the enemy doesn't have 8 defending units) and the "Infiltrate" option under them
- if you want to find out what type of units your enemy has in defence (you don't have to, but then you go blind into battle), you have to pay 100 coins (just like in the world map), but in the PvP their health should not decrease
- if you happen to retreat or lose the battle, 100 coins goes to the defender (only if you proceed to the battle, if you cancel your attack while in the army management, you just wasted 100 coins)

Visual Aids:
someday soon, I promise

Balance:
- the "attack" button in the social bar should be hidden for new players until they conquer their first PvP tower province
- clicking on "attack" leads you to "battle prep" screen, instead of straight to battle
- in case of successful defence, if your attacker previously infiltrated your city, the 100 coins reward should be added to your daily town hall bonus (i.e. that's when you can collect it)

Abuse Prevention:
- player A, who is in IA, attacks player B, who is in LMA (full defence), and wins (not impossible, according to some).
the problem is that player B can only retaliate with IA units and even if player A has full defence, player B would get far less points in the IA PvP tournament
this is a problem of the faulty AI, not something inherent to this idea (although it does accentuate the problem) so I have no idea how to fix it (well, I do, but it's much to complicated)
- certain players might choose to not conquer Badakus (or Tyr), that would prevent them from progressing on the world map, but it would mean that they would never be attacked by their neighbors

Summary:
- new players get a chance to decide weather they want to participate in PvP from the start, or wait to develop a little
- less developed players can't get slaughtered by more developed bullies (can even get an advantage if they know how to "abuse" the faulty AI)
- it might discourage players to buy their way through the world map (stop the "unfair trading ratios" whining)

P.S. although I'm a huge fan of "points for successful defence" idea and I think that it could solve some issues here, this idea is not dependent on that idea being implemented

DeletedUser

now I am totally sure you are a newbie to the game ;) There is no such thing like farming or bullying in this game :) its simply impossible :). About the attacks with different units, but come on till LMA the only units you use in attacks are IA archers and eventually EMA catas, but you could do with ballistas too :). Ok it will be a little bit harder against against EMA units but not impossible. With LMA defense, the only successful attack is with longbows... otherwise you get too much losses. So basically this is it. If you have problems with someone attacking you just message him/her, I bet they do not mind stopping the pillage, if they don't stop the attacks just remove your troops, they will be much disappointed believe me. Ok if you are loosing resources, just make sure you are putting your resource buildings on a proper length production, if you visit the game once daily do it every day at around 8 p.m for example, so put your production buildings on 1 day long cycle. Your opponents will be unable to take anything valuable from you.
Learn to play the game :):)
the 8 day protection is also useless to the new players, you really can't farm badly in this game. As I said only resources are valuable "cargo" but you can really learn how to protect them.