• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Advancing on the continent map without losing Recurring quest

DeletedUser117543

Hello,
I'm camping HMA in my first world while following dulahan's guide partially (some very well writen guide on US forums)
So i know there's info out there about not taking garricton(?) or to not take it and las penas at same time or something like that on Ind Age map to not trigger the bonus quest and lose the recurring quest slot. But i would like to ask if its possible for me to keep advancing the ages like to go to "europe" and further to get the nice expansion slots.
Right now i'm in front of both sectors garricton | las penas, and i really dont want to lose the quest slot as its the core of the guide.

DeletedUser

I'm in Colonial Era and halfway through Postmodern on the Map. I have one Story and one Bonus Quest from Industrial Era which I'm not touching and the Recurring Quests just keep coming. I can only assume the same will happen for you as I have always forged ahead of myself on the Map chasing Exps and getting Resource Deposits well in advance of boots hitting the ground. This has also enabled me to produce three types of Col Era Goods rather than just two. I did manage to get an extra Bonus Quest by selling a Grenadier Barracks and rebuilding when requested.

Zeratul 2.0

Lieutenant Colonel
Forword: Take heed and bear witness to the truths that lie herein,
for they are the last legacy of the Horadrim.

There are too much information out there about Double Recurring quests, too much to grasp, and many of which lack clarity and certainty for people to rely on.

Rumor says that the clearest, most concise and most reliable instructions come from a player called Bewildered Zeratul, who through personal experience and self-experiment, screened out the chaff -- information that is unimportant -- and kept the critical, as below, the validity of which, still, no one can be 100% sure.

Unfortunately, the clearest, most concise and most reliable version of instructions were later lost, what can be found is the following equally redundant, tediously long draft of that version. He wrote:

"Seekers of the Double Recurring quests can find them not early than the Late Middle Ages.

"To understand this you must first know the very fundamental fact that there are quests slots and there are quests. And the quests are categorized into three types. There are story quests, side quests, bonus quests, and recurring quests. But wait, that is four types of quests! Oui. You noticed. It works the same way as the Nine Pieces of Eight in Caribbean, but how can that be? -- Very simple. The quest slots. There is a slot for the story quests, a slot for the side quests, and a slot for the bonus quests, but there is no specific slot for the recurring quests. It occupies whichever slot that has run out of quests, be it "side", be it "bonus", and people that took the time travel machine and returned from the distant future also told us that you can also run out of story quests, and thereby have all three slots occupied by recuring quests, which means, more than double, but triple RQS. The benefits of the RQS are outside the scope of these instructions but bascially, you can either do something that fulfill the conditions of multiple RQS at the same time, or you can use the reward of one RQ to fullfil the conditions of another; there is no need to elaborate herein.

"SO basically you want to obtain as many of those slots and "run out" of quests in those slots. You do so by either completing all the quests, or sometimes Abort all of them. Questions: -- Are the story quests abortable? No. -- Are the Bonus Quests abortable? No, unless when the quest giver specifically says "you can abort this quest" in which case to abort every time when told so is a better option (**need verification though); and -- Are side quests abortable? Yes ("Most of the time" they say). Some also say if you abort quests, you will miss out some good rewards in the end, taking the Jester (Robin) series of quests with diamonds reward in the end as an example. But Bewildered Zeratul found that in most cases, the difference between completing / aborting the side quests is insignificant, compared to the benefits of having recurring quests available. So there you go, you just abort abort and abort all the side quests to receive Recurring Quest Slot No.1. No let's go on to address the Story Quest slot and Bonus Quest slot.

"The reason we need to talk about the Story Quest is not to acquire a RQ slot from it also, which is only possible by the end of All Eras (Mars, to be specific, at present). The reason we need to pay attention to it, is because of the correlations between/among the different types of quests. The correlationship is this: The bonus quest sequence is triggered by one specific story quest; the side quests are also, sometimes, triggered by specific story quests, or some other times, they are triggered by advancement in the Continental Map and in the Technology Tree, just like the story quests. They story quests are triggered / driven by Map/Tech knods.

"This is the part that no one can be 100% sure because, the construction of each city takes years (of player reality time) and some story quests have multiple versions and the player can only get one version. The choice can affect subsequent other quests, sometimes not immediately, but a few quests later, by the end of a series of quests, which makes it even harder to figure out what leads to what, not to mention most players never read the description of the quests but only click the buttons in a hurry. The story line is actually the most interesting part of the game actually -- spoiler alert your very first Adviser in the game will betray / rebel against you at certain point and be replaced by a 'princess' a.k.a the 'fair maiden'. Remember the words 'fair maiden'; it is one of the two keys that guarantees double RQs.

"The earliest time in game to obtain Double RQs is the LMA because the earliest very first bonus quest slot is presented in LMA, and that is why they are called 'LMA bonus quests' on Fandom. Some complain it is not possible earilier than that because one story quest asks to "Build a Ruin Tower" before the bonus quests can appear. That is not the point. All those bonus quests fit into LMA if you read the narratives. It is just that the Ruin Tower quest makes the LMA signature definite.

"It doesn't matter if you advance too fast / too far in the continental map, as long as you do not complete the corresponding story quest. Leave the story quest conditions fulfilled, but do not grab the reward. Halt it there. In short, one possible way to "screw" the RQ is advancing too fast, in terms of story quests, not in terms of C-map as many believe. However, there is another possibility, another extreme -- yes, it is advancing too slow, in terms of story quests, but to this end, it means too slow compared to technology research. OK all these descriptions are too vague and let's be specific. Specifically, attention should be paid to the Story Quest of 'Research a technology that unlocks a cultural building'. It is a quite early quest. Imagine if you have researched all LMA (or even CA and so on) techs while not having completed that quest. Who knows then, how much later in the tech tree can you find another cultural research to pass that particular quest?

"While being triggered by C-Map and Tech, the story quests (or one story quest) in turn trigger(s) the bonus quest sequence (and some side quests). And that's it. The "Fair Maiden" is the keyword. It is a story quest name, it is also your future 'first hand', adviser/quest giver, a.k.a the princess, who will replace the former adviser who will 'betray you'. Do not advance the main story quests too slow and got stuck at unfinished "research a cultural building" quest without remaining techs to research; and do not advance the main story quests too fast, either, and stop right there, at the "fair maiden" quest. Not too fast, not too slow -- that's the only trick you need to remember to secure the double RQs and make your dream come true. All the other information is noise. Do not stuck early at 'research a cultural tech' and do not go beyond the 'maiden' quest. One is related to techs and the other is only about the click of a button. All the talks about C-map are unimportant.

"Personally, in Bewildered's opinion, the earliest Double RQ is a loophole. The slot for bonus quests is presented, at the start of the mainden quest, but the bonus quests themselves have not yet appeared, waiting for the maiden quest to be completed. Thereby the recurring quests occupy the slot not after all bonus quests but before them. It is also possible to actually complete the maiden quest, and complete all the bonus quests thereby unleashed, and the RQ slot No.2 will return. It can be called 'the hard way' but why take the hard way when there is the easy way, by means of NOT clicking a green, ticked button? It is possble to finsih all bonus quests in LMA (becasue again, Fandom calls them "LMA bonus quests") even though the conditions for some of those quests are 'CA tasks OR LMA tasks'. So, relax, it is an 'OR' in between."

Last edited:

DeletedUser117543

Hum yeah that was one weird read
I was expecting a answer more like "dont take a area named x" or you cant progress anymore without losing the slot and i dont really want the 2nd slot, i just dont want to lose my first one since its the core of dulahan's guide

@Lugh, i'm still on my first world so this may very well be wrong but, shouldnt CA players already have 2 recurring quests slots? So that means the bonus from Ind quest is taking one of ur slots right?

Like on this video

DeletedUser

Yeah the two Industrial are taking slots but I don't mind in the least. I'll be in Col at least until June of next year consolidating, expanding the City footprint and strengthening via GB upgrades and by investing and Trading to gain new GBs. I take my time with this Game and have my own timetable for progressing by preparing for every new Era well in advance. I paused in EMA and HMA for a few months or so in each and spent 10.75 months in LMA to follow my mantra of; Expand, Build, Consolidate. When I Collect I do over a dozen RQs, as in the YouTube vid, just via one RQ Window.
I've never had the support of a big Guild, much preferring the long, hard solo slog and this is my way of doing it. We all have to play in a way which suits us best within the constraints of the Game. We shouldn't have expectations for advantage other than those we create for ourselves so, one RQ Window or two is really neither here nor there but don't worry-you won't lose the slot until you go up to the next Era.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser117467

Not sure if this the right place to ask, but i have a question about the Progressive Era story quest. I need to make the correct decision otherwise i won't be able to continue the quest line without moving up an Era. The quest, The Peace Conference, which version do you get, Version 1 or 2 if you negotiated through the continental map?? I have heard different opinions on this quest.

DeletedUser

Not sure if this the right place to ask, but i have a question about the Progressive Era story quest. I need to make the correct decision otherwise i won't be able to continue the quest line without moving up an Era. The quest, The Peace Conference, which version do you get, Version 1 or 2 if you negotiated through the continental map?? I have heard different opinions on this quest.

I've not reached Prog yet, I think the Gen you need will be found in the "Guides" Section. There may also be information in the Fan Wiki-not the Inno version accessed from the Banner. Search in your Browser for it and you'll get there.
Sorry I can't be of more help.

Emberguard

Legend
Any info on the quests are player compiled and may have errors in them which is why you’d have heard different opinions.

The wording of the quest sounds like it may be related to either number of battles, or if a previous province connected to the story had been attacked but this just me making a guess. I always fight through the map unless I need to negotiate for a quest so I’m not sure what would happen if you only negotiated everything leading upto Progressive, or if you only negotiated progressive

DeletedUser117467

Any info on the quests are player compiled and may have errors in them which is why you’d have heard different opinions.

The wording of the quest sounds like it may be related to either number of battles, or if a previous province connected to the story had been attacked but this just me making a guess. I always fight through the map unless I need to negotiate for a quest so I’m not sure what would happen if you only negotiated everything leading upto Progressive, or if you only negotiated progressive

So even if the info is from the Wiki page then it possibly might be wrong? Thanks for your reply :)

Emberguard

Legend
@Dopo The Great there are two wiki's. The Fan Made wiki and the Official Wiki. The Official wiki doesn't have any info on the quests because as Dudettas said we don't provide that info.

The fan made version is player compiled and based purely on observations made by players. It is in no way affiliated with Inno and is a labour of love by the fans. As a player you can make an educated guess on what the conditions for a quest may be but because it's guess work you won't know which parts are right and which are almost right.

DeletedUser112892

I was camping in HMA, so I can recall a bit.
First, if you plan to camp in HMA more, don't advance to InA continent map to prevent scout/infiltrate/acquire sectors quests.
Next, on the InA map, there are 2 provinces (Las Penas and Garrincton, I think) that will trigger side questline that will exchange recurring quests in the same slot, and it can't be aborted, so basically you will be forced to move up the ages if you want to unblock recurring quests.

DessenceD

Private
Can't you guess?
Yes, I can guess.
But I am very interested in what Emberguard or Dudettas answer (if I get one of course) might be!
I posted about this previously (thread was "No More Story Quests" I think):

GeorgeMac said: I think a detailed walkthrough of the entire game made available to everyone online would seriously harm the game. I know from experience that folks who follow walkthroughs rigidly on their first time through an adventure game entirely miss the whole point.

To which I replied:

I couldn't disagree more.
Look at Blizzard's franchises of Warcraft, Starcraft, Diablo for example. Like FoE - huge fan-based forum and guide resources, Unlike FoE - supported by Blizzard (they don't have to do any work - the fans do it, but are supported by Blizzard dev's in terms of official canon and game mechanics). Being privvy to game mechanics only makes these games richer - advanced players can WIN BETTER and FASTER with knowledge of things like unit counters etc.
If Inno's devs DID publish detailed quest info (including triggers and city conditions) then all possible info would be accessible by players!! It would then be down to CHOICE - if a player WANTS to start a city following specific walkthroughs/strategy paths they can (OR NOT!) at their leisure. Players can always make a choice how they want to play! It should be up to each individual.

Personally, the lack of quest mechanics info is the only thing I've found frustrating about this game, everything else is awesome, but I've been wanting to at least TRY a new city with elements of HQ and Glarg's GB guide, but have had massive troubles getting the side quests to kick in at all! I don't mind not getting them straightaway (i.e. after Celebrate Victory Story Quest) but SOMETIME before I move to Iron Age would be nice!!

Let me know what you think, Agent327.....I'm pretty much over it now and started a new city, following my usual playstyle and not worrying about the side quests (unless they "happen" to pop up, then bonus!). But I'm still curious about what people have to say about the topic (especially senior/experienced players)

DeletedUser117543

Just a very late follow up, i'm still advancing (not in a hurry but slowly going up) on the continent, i'm about to finish Post Modern Era map, still have my recurring quest slot, i believe that the trick is quite simple, do not take Las penas, i did not take the bonus quest zone areas as i'm just too afraid but i believe (and my guildie said the same) it would be fine to progress to take them as long i dont take Las penas for the expansion, ill just save it and take when i'm actually moving up in eras, so yeah dont take las penas and you can keep going for the later ages expansions :)