• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Adobe announce Flash phased out by 2020.

DeletedUser103370

Yeah, I'd like to know that too! On one hand I praise the day, flash is outdated for sooo long now, on the other one of course I hope migration will be possible for games like FoE. As I stated already I'd be a huge fan of a html5+canvas game, can't even imagine the improvements in speed and responsiveness, question is if Inno is ready and are there any plans at all?

Praeceptor

Lieutenant Colonel
Well they should have the resources to do something about it...

https://www.mtg.com/press-releases/mtg-increases-ownership-in-online-games-developer-innogames/

And I would have thought investors would be all over this issue. No point having a golden goose providing cash flow if it is going to die in a year or two...
That certainly does sound promising, but hopefully some of the new investment will be used to update FoE and not wasted on rubbish like Elvenar.

Yeah, I'd like to know that too! On one hand I praise the day, flash is outdated for sooo long now, on the other one of course I hope migration will be possible for games like FoE. As I stated already I'd be a huge fan of a html5+canvas game, can't even imagine the improvements in speed and responsiveness, question is if Inno is ready and are there any plans at all?

html5 is def the way to go.

Any response from Inno?

Praeceptor

Lieutenant Colonel
Hi guys,

Just a quick statement on this, please rest assured that this issue is already well on our radar. I'm not going to speculate on timescales, mainly because I honestly don't know.

Thanks!
Richard

Thanks for the reply on this one Richard. I hope the timescale is short - FoE is running at a crawl for me!

DeletedUser103370

Hi guys,

Just a quick statement on this, please rest assured that this issue is already well on our radar. I'm not going to speculate on timescales, mainly because I honestly don't know.

Thanks!
Richard
That's fine, can we expect a statment on this in the near future?
More info...

There is a thread for this on the beta forum; seems that Inno have been working on moving away from Flash for some time already. Can't come soon enough for me!

forum.beta.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/flashplayer.7772/

That's nice to see, and for my biggest joy seems they choose the right way :)

DeletedUser103370

Exactly, I'm delighted to see it will begin to roll out in a year, I got high expectations :)

DeletedUser6065

' Dear Community . . .
. . . Forge of Empires is not going anywhere .

Yours,
The Forge of Empire Team'

So true.
So true.
. . . . mk

DeletedUser110676

Announcement says: "This will be a background change and it shouldn't result in any required adjustments on your end. The game will still look the same, will run in browser and under the same URL."

Most users should notice a big difference though, the game will be more responsive and run better!

Praeceptor

Lieutenant Colonel
Announcement says: "This will be a background change and it shouldn't result in any required adjustments on your end. The game will still look the same, will run in browser and under the same URL."

Most users should notice a big difference though, the game will be more responsive and run better!

Well it should...

...unless Inno take the easy path and run the existing code through a Flash to HTML5 converter...

...which would make it even slower!

Fingers crossed.

DeletedUser103370

Well it should...

...unless Inno take the easy path and run the existing code through a Flash to HTML5 converter...

...which would make it even slower!

Fingers crossed.

I certainly hope not :DDD
But I'd be surprised if a converter could even make it work, I think it's way too complicated for that. I think this means coding a whole new game from scratch more or less.

When there is an HTML5 version of the game, will the app be discontinued? While there are differences in I/O and in the sizing needs (which are not unique to PCs/Macs) and these would complicate early development, the advantages (for Inno and players) of a uniform platform surely outweigh this for the long-term. I'm certain that the two-platform maintenance must be a headache!