• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Forwarded: Additional keyboard shortcuts

Do you support this idea?

• Yes

Votes: 14 82.4%
  • No

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters
I searched but did not see this, please excuse me if this has been proposed previously.

Proposal:
Expand the keyboard shortcuts to include a few new quality of life additions.

Reason:
This would be an easy addition likely and make life a little easier for keyboard centric players on the web like myself. Instead of 2-3 clicks to get to a report or list, have a single keystroke.

Details:
The current shortcuts I believe are these: en.wiki.forgeofempires.com/index.php?title=Keyboard_shortcuts

To add:

H: Open the event history (only in city)
F: Open the list of Great Buildings invested in. (only in city)
O: Open the settings (only in city)

Others could be proposed. As discussed below: Y (or enter) for yes, N (or esc) for no; space to skip a unit in battle; (or other keys)...

Visual Aids:
N/A

Balance:
This should have no impact on the game balance.

Abuse Prevention:
N/A

Summary:
Adding these should be fairly easy, have no impact on game balance, but would make the quality of life of some players a little better.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

I searched but did not see this, please excuse me if this has been proposed previously.

Proposal:

Reason:
This would be an easy addition likely and make life a little easier for keyboard centric players on the web like myself. Instead of 2-3 clicks to get to a report or list, have a single keystroke.

Details:
The current shortcuts I believe are these: en.wiki.forgeofempires.com/index.php?title=Keyboard_shortcuts

To add:

Others could be proposed.

Visual Aids:
N/A

Balance:
This should have no impact on the game balance.

Abuse Prevention:
N/A

Summary:
Adding these should be fairly easy, have no impact on game balance, but would make the quality of life of some players a little better.
Lets look at this
Proposal:
There are too many shortcuts already
Reason:
It will make my life harder mate
To add:

Those letters would not fit in with the category
Summary:
I code mini games mate for fun adding shortcuts are annoying.

Makla

Private
This is probably the best idea. I know that new generation (age < 30) likes to use mouse, but let's be honest, keyboard can be a few 10 times faster.
I also miss shortcuts for history and GB investments. Any many more.

I am full stack developer and adding shortcuts really isn't a problem. But most developers are lazy (I absolutely not referring to any particular person about that, specifically not FOE developers) and they don't add them.

I don't see how. No one is forced to used shortcuts, so this could be an awesome addition to the game.

And I also miss enter shortcut on actions. Everywhere you need to confirm anything.

FlashFire

Private

I'm a full stack developer too, and I don't think it's hard to add keyboard shortcuts. Especially since it's not being implemented from scratch, there are already keyboard shortcuts implemented, it's not too much work to add some.

lol wut?

I, for one, would love to have a lot more keyboard shortcuts.

FLKMAMS

Sergeant
Add one key for any "yes" (like selling something) and "no", and you have my vote baby haha. And as @xbmono said, skip units in battles!

Added yes, no and skip unit above. Thanks! There is a key to do event history, but a bit slow: F5 - reloads the web page. :-) At least some times it brings up the history.

Last edited:

AntiDuck

Corporal
I've actually been dying for a shortcut to view GB invested in. Also, why are they annoying? They don't hurt anyone, simply don't use them right?
I see that idea was absolutely different - player should (if not must) always be short of expansion for city and short of Forge Points (even if s/he actually have no use for Forge Points at all).

Imagine, you have full control on Forge Points balance - including this "Investments Monitor" with extended functionality. Like, you can see where in your ~ 120 friends list are the hottest slots for FP investment (those where you put 20 FP and get back immediately 200 FP + 5000 medals + 40 blueprints)

See, how Forge Points immediately changed their status from somewhat important to something not important at all? No-no-no, it can't be done, anything related to Forge Points should be difficult, except diamonds earning - which is even more difficult :)
In past days and in old games, gold+lumber (and later stone) was enough for building/upgrading any kind of buildings on map. Why to invent "Magic Beans" especially (mostly) for great buildings expansion (technology development also can survive without special currency). Special currencies ... I also love special currency for Tavern, special currency for selling stuff on Ma ... no, it's not market, it's Auction, because Market is barter only (for some reason) and special currencies for each type of Settlement. Oh, this world is over-complicated, without reason :)

It's quite funny to start RTS gaming experience a while ago (say, 25 years), get used to neat and balanced interface and feel that this is standard of genre. And now, in 2020 keep playing a browser game where easy operations are made difficult, battle system weakened in favor of "negotiations" (which aren't negotiations at all, it's not even trades, it's just Mastermind mini-games).

Keyboard shortcuts? Hmm, if I press backspace to correct amount of goods in "Create market" dialog - I may clean the dialog, or I may suddenly trigger back button of a browser and jump to login screen instead.

And there is no way to clean dialog box with the mouse, and no way to overtype what's entered - back space is risky button and delete button requires precide clicking on beginning of the amount sentence.

Last edited:

legend9182

Major-General
I see that idea was absolutely different - player should (if not must) always be short of expansion for city and short of Forge Points (even if s/he actually have no use for Forge Points at all).

Imagine, you have full control on Forge Points balance - including this "Investments Monitor" with extended functionality. Like, you can see where in your ~ 120 friends list are the hottest slots for FP investment (those where you put 20 FP and get back immediately 200 FP + 5000 medals + 40 blueprints)

See, how Forge Points immediately changed their status from somewhat important to something not important at all? No-no-no, it can't be done, anything related to Forge Points should be difficult, except diamonds earning - which is even more difficult :)
In past days and in old games, gold+lumber (and later stone) was enough for building/upgrading any kind of buildings on map. Why to invent "Magic Beans" especially (mostly) for great buildings expansion (technology development also can survive without special currency). Special currencies ... I also love special currency for Tavern, special currency for selling stuff on Ma ... no, it's not market, it's Auction, because Market is barter only (for some reason) and special currencies for each type of Settlement. Oh, this world is over-complicated, without reason :)

It's quite funny to start RTS gaming experience a while ago (say, 25 years), get used to neat and balanced interface and feel that this is standard of genre. And now, in 2020 keep playing a browser game where easy operations are made difficult, battle system weakened in favor of "negotiations" (which aren't negotiations at all, it's not even trades, it's just Mastermind mini-games).

Keyboard shortcuts? Hmm, if I press backspace to correct amount of goods in "Create market" dialog - I may clean the dialog, or I may suddenly trigger back button of a browser and jump to login screen instead.

And there is no way to clean dialog box with the mouse, and no way to overtype what's entered - back space is risky button and delete button requires precide clicking on beginning of the amount sentence.
You got him wrong
He asked for a feature where you can simply click any key and see how much fps you have already invested

AntiDuck

Corporal
You got him wrong
He asked for a feature where you can simply click any key and see how much fps you have already invested
Let's just wait for idea author to reply and express his opinion. Either you have "Investment Monitor", or you don't have such a tool. Once you get Investment Monitor, everyone will see, what's needed to make it FP Investment Manager. And since game already has all required data, it would be weird not to offer basic functionality which _every_ related financial game has, which liist of functions can take next 2 pages, but look as few buttons and indicators - even on iphone 3gs screen :)
You see, when it's about real money, interfaces tend to be as easy and comfortable as possible. And of course, pioneer of this is Smith&Wesson, inventor of point and click interface, as you know. Of course I'm joking, but I can't get the idea, how over-complication can help the gameplay

We already have the Inventory: Goods which has no functions at all.
I really doubt, someone would decline Forge Points: Monitor to have functions allowing to add FP from that very screen, or - as I just offered abobe - to search for suitable investment opportunites, allowing to earn more with little investment.
You can offer other options, it's easy - "Create FP request, offering to pay back with Goods" :)
E.g. "Put 100 FP to my GB, and you'll get 500 Wires as a bonus"

For 50 Diamonds per day, run a FP bot, which will monitor suitable requests and invest FP under specific terms (e.g. - invest from 100 to 500 FP into offers, where you can instantly make at least 2x FP) - and you wake up having 10 000 FP on your balance :)

If the game is Hansa city style limited (when people choosed jobs for life, son of a carpenter couldn't choose career of a saddler, amount of production and prices were set by officials, etc) .. if the game is limited like this your imagination is not (I hope). You can see things to be improved, and offer them. Or, "Ideas" part of forum is only for choosing the color of shirt for the new Character in new Event?

Last edited:
Yes, Legend is correct, I proposed the F key to open the current GB list, nothing more, I believe it is called "Great Building" and in small print it says something like GBs I have contributed to. Your idea is interesting though AntiDuck.

Enter and esc might not be good keys for yes and no, but the key definition is not that important here, the developers, if it gets that far, could decide on which ones.