• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Additional assist option: Fortify

DeletedUser

Proposal: Currently, there are 2 options for assisting another players village - Motivate (for production buildings and residential buildings) and Polish (for cultural buildings and decorations). Add a third option, "Fortify", which would be applied to military buildings. Affected buildings would provide the player a cumulative 5% boost (Attack and defense stat) to troops in defense.

Reason: Guilds often talk about "defending" members from attacks, etc., but there is really nothing a guild member (or friend or neighbor, for that matter) can do to protect another player, apart from attacking the offending player in retaliation if they happen to be in the same neighborhood. This option would allow some means of helping other players defend their city, at the expense of not being polished or motivated instead. This might also give attackers a little more to consider when "randomly" or systematically attacking every player available.

Details: When visiting neighbors/guild members/friends, a third option for assistance is available - To "Fortify". Each military building in a city would be eligible for a "fortify", on a 12 hour timer (like a polish). Each military building that is "fortified" provides a cumulative 5% boost to all troops placed in defense (NOT troops used on attack). Note that the type of military building "fortified" does not matter in terms of determining which defending troops get "fortified". For example, if a player has 8 slingers in defense and has a "fortify" on his/her spearfighter barracks, the defending slingers are still boosted 5%. "Fortifying" a slinger range as well would simply add another 5% bonus. Effects granted by great buildings that affect defending troops (ie. Deal Castle) would stack as well. For finding Great Building Blue Print purposes, a "fortify" would offer same odds as motivate and polish.

Visual Aids: None available

Balance: Game balance will move slightly in favor of trading versus combat simply because defending troops will tend to be tougher which will increase attacker losses in some instances (in turn granting fewer victory points which means fewer total points). However, even heavily boosted early age troops still stand little chance against troops more that a few ages above, so while it does provide a little edge for the defender, should not be considered overpowering or unbalancing. This also provides some degree of balance against attackers which have Great Buildings that offer attack bonuses (ie. Statue of Zeus). Since this is a non-premium upgrade, limiting boosts to 5% increments (per military building "fortified") seems in balance with the 10% boost increments (per level) offered by Great Buildings that provide this effect. Also, every "fortify" a player receives means one less motivate or polish, so there is a sacrifice involved for this bonus when a player is assisted in this manner.

Abuse Prevention: Some strategies might revolve around building many "unnecessary" military buildings to increase the potential percentage defending troops can be boosted, but this would be offset by having less available space for other types of buildings.

Summary: I believe the above passages are sufficient.

DeletedUser

+1 for the idea its a GOOD one but....

I would suggest amending it so that the Fortify option which is applied to a building applies ONLY to that building and doesn't affect others but would give troops in the fortified barracks an instant 25% boost and possibly include an option for them to be Fortified a maximum of twice thereby giving it 50% boost. I dont think that such Fortify boosts should be stackable between buildings as GB benefits are since that with the proper attitude/resources "could" mean that players with GBs could have a totally impenetrable defence which would imho be unfair to the majority

SHELOB :)

DeletedUser

It sounds like an interesting idea, but could add up pretty quickly if someone had a bunch of dummy military barracks for it. Also would feel a bit odd that Fortifying a Slinger range would make someone's Dragoons fight better.

I would like this Idea more if it were something like a larger bonus, but specific to those units inside the building that was Fortified. Such as, if there are four Slingers in a Slinger Range, fortifying that building would give just those four Slingers (and no others) a +25% bonus... or something. Then it would feel more tactical as far as which building is Fortified, and wouldn't be as abusable by people making a bunch of extra barracks they don't use.

DeletedUser7719

specific to those units inside the building that was Fortified
I think Sigmar wants it to be any military building because you could never help "prize" units (from quests) with your theory. Nevertheless, Taeriyn still has a point. I would make 50 archery ranges if we had this option :p. A nice comprise would be the age of the building you "fortify" you would get X% for all units in that age (because 5000 population is a lot for a person in the Iron Age). There should also be a 200% limit or something. (So I don't make 50 archery ranges and get 8 mounted warriors as a defense)

Btw, I think this may answer your question Blacksmith: :p
I am a poo poo head and a stupid doodie.
and
Bllaaarrghhghghglllele

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I prefer the idea of all military buildings adding to the bonus, versus building/troop specific, because it further encourages guild cooperation when "everyone needs to pitch in". Otherwise, most players can get the full bonus with only one or two specific buildings fortified.

As for trying to maximize the potential bonus by packing a city with archery ranges, I don't really see this as unbalancing in favor of the player. All those archery ranges have to go SOMEWHERE, which generally means dumping houses or production buildings. So if a player would rather have a very solid defense by maxing out on military buildings and hoping people fortify them everyday, they are giving up a lot of production and points gained from production (since successful defense doesn't grant any points, they aren't making up for the lost production points by having a better defense). The only players that are negatively affected are the combat-oriented players, since defending troops will tend to be tougher, increasing their odds of damaging or killing more of the attacking force, which in turn reduces points awarded and may even delay further attacks if too many troops are killed/wounded to continue attacking the whole neighborhood one after another. However, even this "negative" seems acceptable, because battle SHOULD be considered a risky option instead of a routine activity.

@Blacksmith: I saw your hint, but it's impossible to say if it meant "this would be great for guild wars", or "there is something in the works similar to this planned for guild wars". Care to expand on your cryptic post? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser7719

Note I meant 200% as in 200% from Fortify (but lol, the only people who would do it would be your guild, so 80*5% = 400%/2 (divide 2 since it's 12 hours) = 200% :p

DeletedUser8813

@Blacksmith: I saw your hint, but it's impossible to say if it meant "this would be great for guild wars", or "there is something in the works similar to this planned for guild wars". Care to expand on your cryptic post? ;)

a lot of these suggestions try to steer the game in the same direction as guild wars..and that is not what this game is about..at-least that's what i think he was hinting at..
we have gbs that offer defense bonuses for defending armies ..you dont need any thing else as you take no damage from the battle as the defender...if its idea is to stop the plunderer then there are easier ways to limit the damage from plunderers..
just imagine a fortified player that already has a 200% defence bonus from gbs..then everyone would want a steroid polish for their soldiers to counteract the fortified polish

DeletedUser9759

I really like this idea. perhaps it could be an option on a players town center an have room for 10 charges. each charge lasting 12 hours and providing 10% attack AND defend to DEFENDING troops.

I would also like to see a way to attack people that pick on my weaker guildies.