• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Add Friends

• Thread starter Deleted member 112124
  • Start date

DeletedUser

Although I already know the answer; would there be any chance of some more Friend Adds? 10 would be great, 20 sublime. In the early days, we are all scrabbling for Friends and Tavern Silver and the 80 gets eaten up before one notices, especially moving to new Neighbourhoods. Just a thought.

DeletedUser

True enough, my current tally is 109 however 2 to whom I sent Adds have become inactive thereby wasting the adds. Obviously I could not foresee their leaving but still lose the Adds. Not a whinge, merely an observation that perhaps inactivity might be cause for return of Adds so as not to unnecessarily waste a limited resource.

DeletedUser110179

Not a whinge, merely an observation that perhaps inactivity might be cause for return of Adds so as not to unnecessarily waste a limited resource.
Perhaps Inno would like players to interact with friends and neighbours in such a way that the incentive to actively participate is greater than the urge to fade away into the sunset. Even attack and plunder can be done in such a way that neighbours are excited about playing the game.

If the player base is more interested in taking than giving ... more and more people are likely to leave. A plunderer can send a pm thanking the neighbour for the fine wine (and fps) ... lifted during the raid.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Understood and firmly agreed with, I aid and trade as preference to plunder and, raid only when Quest requires, (so far). The positive interaction is a definite fillip to my methodology and I do apologise following raid, simply good manners, as it were.

DeletedUser110131

It's been suggested before, in various forms, such as: Making invitations equal to total number. Differentiating between invited and accepted, and returning the right to invite, whenever an invited player leaves or is kicked. An extra invitation right as a reward, for instance in GE.

I suspect that the idea behind the limitation is to prevent FLs from becoming closed circles of players, (almost) exclusively friended to each other, with (almost) no outsiders, as well as "forcing" established players to accept invites from new players, simply because they can't send invites themselves. If I'm right, Inno will be very reluctant to change it, without both a good reason, and confidence that the problems can be avoided in spite of any changes.

The reward model, with some few extra invites, scattered over extended periods, probably wouldn't do any harm, that I can see. I'm also fairly sure that it would become a popular feature. It probably couldn't be common enough to serve the purpose at issue here, though. Whether Inno hasn't picked up on the suggestion, or simply disagrees with it, or have concluded that it's too much work for too little profit, or are working on it as we speak, or something else altogether, I have no idea.

BTW, if anyone steals my booze, they'd better focus on their defences, rather than waste time on pleasantries!

DeletedUser

I've just been added by a player/neighbour who informed me first that they had no adds left and then that they had dropped some from their list and added me. Now msg seems very slow so, as this is not a result of having adds returned but that adds were available but space was not, I was loath to ask because it is an unnecessary inquiry and would take far too long to send. Depending on Local Time some msgs take several minutes to load which is quite tiresome.
I do appreciate you taking the time to respond to my questions and queries, I know that many will have been put before but I cannot always find them as I trawl through a few years worth of comms. And of course, picking brains directly usually results in more succinctly put gen, you're a star.

DeletedUser110179

If the player/neighbour sent you the invite ... they would have needed to delete friends until they got below 80.
If you sent the invite ... they would have needed to delete one friend to make space for you (140 or less ... mine goes up to 141).

DeletedUser

Understood, it was the former and I appreciate both the clarification on your part and the effort and consideration on theirs. I'm glad I returned to OG because of the attitude of many of the people in FoE. I have benefitted greatly from the advice and support of experienced players and am pleased to be here.

kernbeep

Private
Is anyone else frustrated by not being able to invite a new Friend without deleting enough friends to be below 80 in total? I have 140 friends in my list, which is a mixture of my 80 invited friends and 60 invites that I have accepted. I don't want to delete over 60 before I can issue a new invite to someone.

Wouldn't it make sense for the maximum number of friends to be 140 (invited or accepted)?

DeletedUser110179

Is anyone else frustrated by not being able to invite a new Friend without deleting enough friends to be below 80 in total?

Wouldn't it make sense for the maximum number of friends to be 140 (invited or accepted)?
FoE is a lesson in dealing, coping and in fact, using frustration to your advantage.

Logical sense doesn't always make for a good game ... without mixing it up with a good dose of mania and madness.

kernbeep

Private
FoE is a lesson in dealing, coping and in fact, using frustration to your advantage.

Logical sense doesn't always make for a good game ... without mixing it up with a good dose of mania and madness.

A positive attitude - which I like. It seems harsh though to have to delete 61 friends in order to add 1 new friend. And with a few quests and daily tasks now setting targets for collecting tavern silver, it seems like the 'Add Friend' is an option with limited benefit for anyone other than new players.

I would find it more useful if the game allowed us to invite and/or accept a maximum of 140 friends.

DeletedUser111879

I can understand the need for a limit on friends, though I would prefer if it was total friends only, so you could just delete one add one kind of deal, instead of having to get yourself below your invite threshold.

What I would like most though is for friends who have gone inactive, or at least haven't aided/sat in your tavern in, like, a week? to be highlighted somehow, so when it comes time to clean house, it is easier. I just hit 100 friends, so figured it was time to clean house in my list, because i know damn well that half of them haven't aided me in weeks or even months. But because i don't want to delete the good friends, I've had to create a list of all 100 people, and then check my activity feed a few times a day and record who aided and sat in my tavern. I am not going to be draconian about it, not like, 'have to sit every single day without fail' but if after a week, someone hasn't sat in my tavern even once, (and I am clearing my tavern a few times a day before it's full during this time to make sure no one ever comes to a full tavern) they're gone. That is TEDIOUS and more work than it should have to be, just so i can clear out the trash so i can invite some people who may actually aid me back.

*edit - just counted and after 3 days, looks like 38 have aided/sat. I suspect i will have a few more, but still, ouch, that's around 60% inactive on my list. but it will get me well below the threshold, at least, but will likely only add a few more from my neighbors who have been good about reciprocating when i aid them

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser110179

... because i don't want to delete the good friends, I've had to create a list of all 100 people, and then check my activity feed a few times a day and record who aided and sat in my tavern.
Let's face it ... at 100 friends, inactive players aren't really ruining your day ... you might do more to fill up the list with new material.

That said ... when my list reaches 140, I seek out friends without a guild ... jot down their name, number and the placement of one person at their table. If the table hasn't been refreshed in a week or so, I delete them. Most guilds will remove inactive players (although I have one or two very active no-guild friends).

It's usually enough to keep the wheels turning ... eventhough an entire guild of friends (or single player guilds) can keep deadwood in your list..

kernbeep

Private
The problem is that in order add any new friends, you need to delete enough to take your list down to below 80.

I agree that having an indicator that shows when anyone on the Friend list has become inactive would help, or a way of finding out easily who has been visiting my tavern or Aiding would make it a lot easier to find the dead wood and remove them.

DeletedUser111879

The problem is that in order add any new friends, you need to delete enough to take your list down to below 80.

I agree that having an indicator that shows when anyone on the Friend list has become inactive would help, or a way of finding out easily who has been visiting my tavern or Aiding would make it a lot easier to find the dead wood and remove them.
Exactly. It's more that I see a few people in my neighborhood that I would LIKE to have as friends before i am shuffled into a new hood after I progress to the next era sometime next week, but until i clear out my list, or they add me (and they are probably in a similar situation, so that is unlikely) that can't happen. But the process of getting to the point that I am able to is a PITA, but the fix seems like it wouldn't be too hard to implement.

kernbeep

Private
but the fix seems like it wouldn't be too hard to implement.

How do we persuade the Dev's that it would be simple to make the total number of Friends the same as the number of invited/accepted friends, so we can just delete one to add a new one?

DeletedUser

How do we persuade the Dev's that it would be simple to make the total number of Friends the same as the number of invited/accepted friends, so we can just delete one to add a new one?
I think that the way it is set now is intentional design to avoid a cluster of players who befriend one another and form a closed group. The idea is to create open networks of friends, I guess. So I doubt that we can convince the developers to change it.

kernbeep

Private
I think that the way it is set now is intentional design to avoid a cluster of players who befriend one another and form a closed group. The idea is to create open networks of friends, I guess. So I doubt that we can convince the developers to change it.

Changing the total number of friends won't have an adverse affect on that though. In fact the current system could lead to clusters if players decide to only keep a friend's list of 80 so they can easily remove one/add one. It's the option that I'm considering. If I have to delete 61 friends in order to add one new one, I will keep my list down to 80 in future.

DeletedUser

Changing the total number of friends won't have an adverse affect on that though. In fact the current system could lead to clusters if players decide to only keep a friend's list of 80 so they can easily remove one/add one. It's the option that I'm considering. If I have to delete 61 friends in order to add one new one, I will keep my list down to 80 in future.
Well, the current system makes it a lot harder to get a closed cluster of friends. By that I mean a group of a certain amount of players who have only players of the same group among their friend list. For instance, 80 players that were all friends among them. You might get down to 80 friends, but I doubt that you'll manage to get a group of 80 players who decide all to be friends among them and only among them.

Another thing that the system does is keeping you from having only higher-era friends, as most of your friend requests will likely come from same-era or lower-era players. This creates a mixed group of friends that helps getting BPs of GBs that you already own so that you can keep unlocking levels, as well as BPs of GBs that you may one day build, so that when you reach the right age, you can build them faster.

All that is to say that I think that the current system is intentionally designed to work in the way it does, and that convincing InnoGames that changing it would be good is likely to take more than "Hey, adding new friends is a pain when you're over your invite limit."