• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Add building size to hover box, toggle gridlines option

DeletedUser3723

Proposal: Lord Vortican humbly suggests that building sizes (2x2, 4x3, etc.) be added somewhere to the hover descriptions when examining buildings. In addition, or an alternative, would be to have a "toggle gridlines" option to see the gridlines in your city.

Have you Checked the Ideas section for the same idea posted by someone else? Is this idea similar to one that has been previously suggested?
Yes, his Lordship finds none.

Reason: Lord Vortican's city planners work with limited space much of the time. As such, it is necessary to know how many spaces on the city grid one has with which to work. When designing and remodeling a city, sometimes, it is necessary to make decisions about which buildings to build in what order because of space limitations. Unless one has memorized the dimensions of all buildings, there's no indicator to know if there is sufficient space to fit a building in a particular space without first going to the building menu and viewing or selecting it.

Details: Lord Vortican would be satisfied if the hover description included the building size in the corner on the map as it does in the construction menu. When moving buildings around, this would help to determine where they could be placed. It would also be helpful to have an option to leave gridlines on when not in build mode when one wishes to consider the layout of one's city.

Visual Aids: None

Balance: Lord Vortican sees no balance issues in this request as it is merely a tool to assist in city design.

Abuse Prevention: His Wise Counsel Lord Vortican does not believe this can be abused.

Summary: It would resolve a minor irritation of Lord Vortican's (though his patience be mighty, his wrath be terrible!) to have building sizes shown on the hover descriptions on the city map. Additionally, perhaps an option to toggle gridlines when not in build mode would help with city planning.

DeletedUser2079

A good idea very well presented. :D
The style and humour alone merit adoption of the idea.

I think that the grid on/off option has already been placed in the Bad Ideas section.

But I still like it and, more importantly, I also like the main idea.

DeletedUser

I think that the grid on/off option has already been placed in the Bad Ideas section.

Not exactly :) It is in the list of ideas that have already been suggested, so should not be suggested again (and the developers do look at that list) ^^

As for the other idea, you will find a very helpful tool here: click here.
I know it's not ingame, but it's a start :)