• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Forwarded: Add a button to make buildings invisible/transparent

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser3727

Proposal:
Add a button to make buildings invisible/transparent.

Have you Checked the Ideas section for the same idea posted by someone else? Is this idea similar to one that has been previously suggested?
Yes - nothing similar found.

Reason:
To enable players to see the floorplan of the city layout better when rearranging buildings.

Details:
Now GBs are here, and now I've progressed to the Colonial Age I am having more and more trouble maximising the efficiency of my city. When moving things around I might accidentally click on a road instead of a building, but then I can't see through the building for where it goes and it takes a few attempts to put it back. Or I have to pick a building up, see what's behind it and then put it back, hoping I can click on the right spot afterwards to get to whatever was there.

I was thinking back to the good old days of SimCity 2000, where there was a button that made all buildings invisible. You were just left with coloured squares depending on what type of building was placed there. This made it a lot easier for sorting out road layouts, etc.

Would it be possible to add a button to the build menu that would have a similar effect to the one I described? It could either make them disappear entirely (with say yellow squares for houses, blue for production, etc.) or maybe just reduce the opacity of the buildings, making them semi-transparent. This would at least let you see what is behind some of these massive buildings!

Visual Aids:
I'm no good at drawing, but I found a couple of images from old SimCity game to help people visualise what I mean:

(Images from another game removed - copyright images not allowed)

The coloured areas show the type of building there, with the buildings themselves hidden.

Balance:
I can't see any other area of the game that would be affected by this, as it could automatically revert back to the normal view once the build menu is closed. It is different from other suggestions relating to rearranging the city, like having a holding area for buildings, etc. as it doesn't provide a way to get around the dynamic of having limited space, it's just a visual change to prevent mis-clicks and frustration!

Abuse Prevention:
I can't see a way this could lead to abuse. No production would be affected, as it's purely a visual change.

Summary:
As far as the change is concerned I believe it would be fairly simple to implement. I'm no programmer, but there are already elements of it in place - all the buildings are self-contained images that are loaded separately from the background image, and when you pick one up to move it you get a coloured area showing the limits of your city.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser14230

Oh yes Gizmo9000 ! fantastic idea
I was thinking back to the good old days of SimCity 2000, where there was a button that made all for

Now GBs are here, and now I've progressed to the Colonial Age I am having more and more trouble maximising the efficiency of my city. When moving things around I might accidentally click on a road instead of a building, but then I can't see through the building for where it goes and it takes a few attempts to put it back. Or I have to pick a building up, see what's behind it and then put it back, hoping I can click on the right spot afterwards to get to whatever was there.

DeletedUser

Hello Gizmo9000, the idea is great and i would personally support it if it where written using the T E M P L A T E:
Proposal:

Have you Checked the Ideas section for the same idea posted by someone else? Is this idea similar to one that has been previously suggested?

Reason:

Details:

Visual Aids:

Balance:

Abuse Prevention:

Summary:

Also using the template will make sure that your idea is actually passed on to developers or will at least increase it's chances of being passed on.

DeletedUser3727

Ah, sorry, I'll write it up properly and edit the first post :)

DeletedUser

Great idea Gizmo,

I have some feedback for you:

1.) to add an image use the "add image" button when you "go advaced" while posting a reply. I mean don't just post a "quick reply" press "go advanced and find "add image" button there.
2.) the second link is broken

Overally the idea is a +1 but if you want it to be more attractive for other use "add image' button

DeletedUser

Proposal:
Add a button to make buildings invisible/transparent.

Visual Aids:
I'm no good at drawing, but I found a couple of images from the old SimCity game to help people visualise what I mean:

(Images from another game removed - copyright images not allowed)

Here is (Images from another game removed - copyright images not allowed) variant to add to the invisible examples that you added.

Also +1.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser7719

Here's a good pic:
Untitled.png
btw, it's a +1 from me

DeletedUser

@byeordie, IMO this variant works for a single building, but for the whole city you'll need a much higher level of transparency, preferably with an outline of your building marked.

DeletedUser3727

Those are excellent pictures, thank you! That's pretty much what I was going for, although my preference would be for just the building's floorplan to be visible.

Maybe when you have the build menu open mousing-over a building would make it transparent, or have a button that just makes then all reduce to 10% opacity or something.

As for the second image in my original post, it is in .png format and I wasn't sure how the image tags would handle it, so instead of having one picture posted in a spoiler and another as a link I thought it would be neater if they were both just links.

DeletedUser15986

+1

Buildings size tends to increase as you progress through each Era, and trying to arrange roads and decorations (and sometimes even buildings, if they are behind the Town Hall) is a short journey to frustration!

Surge

Brigadier-General
I like this idea. I want to see some of the buildings hiding behind the obnoxiously huge ones. Old gone Mark REALLY doesn't want me to check and replace my roads.

DeletedUser

I think switching from 3D to 2D can help as well, that way you get see your city from above, and able to manage much better, just like on the City Builder from Forgestats

DeletedUser

Please note that I have removed the images from the original idea post and in other posts where they have been quoted, as they are from other games and will be subject to copyright. If you wish to include images, they need to be your own, not from other games and free from copyright.

DeletedUser99588

I think switching from 3D to 2D can help as well, that way you get see your city from above, and able to manage much better, just like on the City Builder from Forgestats

This gets a +1 from me.

DeletedUser2989

+1 As you progress through the ages this is needed more and more (not just because some of the GB's are tall!).

Status
Not open for further replies.