• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Achievements & Achievement Points

DeletedUser

@@@@@@ = new contentProposal:
Introduce achievements into FoE

Have you Checked the Ideas section for the same idea posted by someone else? Yes
Is this idea similar to one that has been previously suggested? No

Reason:
1.) FoE demands allot of work over time, it would be great if people could take pride in what they have done over these long periods of time by completing some interesting achievements. This would make every player account unique in it's own way. (Read on to understand how accounts will be unique)
E.G. A player that logs in daily for a week or a month could get some sort of title.

2.) Players sped a ridiculous amount of time doing the same actions fighting/collecting. It would be allot of fun if they would get an shiny exploding new achievement on their screen now and then that would lighten p the mood.

Details:
1.)The achievements should be easy to get in the beginning, however the great ones could be created in a way that allot of time would be needed by the player to complete them. Actually specialization of the player could be demanded.
IMHO these will give the players some long term goal to focus on and at the same time the achievements could be a 'passive' guide for new comers in FoE. That is so FoE devs don't have to make quests for every tutorial action they want to show the player.

E.G.
An achievements for every new age completed
Build: 10/100/1000/10000 buildings of any type
Kill: 10000/100000/1000000 units of any type
Win 1/10/100 tournaments
Stack 100/1000 of every resources (wine,wood,tar...) - note stack not gather
Stack 1000000 coins/supplies -note stack not gather

2.)Players should be able to select a certain "achievement paths" that they would like to follow at once. This is because the game is already clearly offering the benefit of going through the game content in different ways, so why not make these ways stand out even more and make each truly unique.
* Currently traders are viewed as lazy people who do not have the time or willingness to fight. If we want this category of people to really be proud of being a trader we should give them something unique to 'fight for'.

E.G.:
The Trader - achievement path would mean conquering all territories by trading.
The Fighter - achievement path would mean conquering all territories by fighting.
The Builder - achievement part would mean going through the game with certain type of "decorations". This achievement could actually be taken on by anyone who wants to simply have a pretty kingdom.

As you can see a small number of achievements that a player can select will be mutually exclusive. That way one would be proud to be in "that category of players".

P.S. Very difficult achievements will therefore give the winner a title. I have observed that there is a "title" space in the profile edit screen in-game. Also the tough achievements could be completed out of say 3 other medium achievements and these medium out of 3 easy. AKA allot of time needed but all the rest is easy.

And yes, i know quests do some of these things already but the rewards aren't "on the wall". Whereas an achievement system will be some sort of "history manual" where the player can see all that he has done, which things where first and what kind of achievements does he unlock after 1 year of game play.

Serious Sam 3 Achievement Icons.jpg
AchievementListHeader.jpg

Balance:
Blank

Abuse Prevention:
Blank

Summary:
Adding some fun things to do to the game will go a long way in keeping the community happy, take note that other games use this system pretty often. They know it gives a player something more to strive for. It gives the possibility of a different experience, it lets the player drift away more in a world of fantasy where his actions are counted as achievements.

This is a fast 5 minute draft of one of the ideas i have. If people will give feedback i am willing to invest time in making it perfect.

CON's
how this defers from the quests system at least at the beginning?
Your rewards will be collected, you will receive some sort of 'trophies' which will look according to the type of achievement you have finished - that way you will have your "wall of trophies" just like generals put all their medals on their chest.

+1 I like the idea. There are many ways to flesh it out. Let me suggest one for your consideration:

I would like to see the 'achievement awards' come in the form of rewards that go directly into inventory rather than just something on your profile

As for why i think the reward should not be material... because non material rewards boost the intrinsic value a player starts to have for the game. I am sure many people here know that intrinsic motivation is on of the most powerful motivational tools out there.

PRO's
IMO achievement should track your progress i.e. reaching various milestones in military/research/construction etc like the ones suggested by mungiu, just with a nice title.

Lord Vortican enthusiastically supports the concept of this idea and further agrees that meaningful rewards could have their place.

atm the differences between two players is their profile picture/text and their score. I don't know about you but the score doesn't tell me a lot, this will allow to break "it" down, adding some personalization by showing how you got there.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Very interesting, I am inclined to give it +1, but I'll wait for the details. Also, I think that you should address one obvious question and that is: how this defers from the quests system at least at the beginning?

DeletedUser

Thank you for contributing with feedback!

Answer in main post, please check.

DeletedUser

+1 I like the idea. There are many ways to flesh it out. Let me suggest one for your consideration:

I would like to see the 'achievement awards' come in the form of rewards that go directly into inventory rather than just something on your profile. The profile pop up is crowded already and I see no reason why the rewards cannot be useful. By this I mean you can keep your achievement awards in your inventory for your own satisfaction or place them somewhere on the grid (1 square or more depending on the achievement) and have them actually do something.

I can envision an award for 14 consecutive days logging in that you could place on the grid and it would award 14,000 bonus coins every 14 days when clicked.

I can envision an award for 500 victories that you could place on the grid and it would award 5,000 happiness points that last 48 hours when clicked. (Could be clicked once every 14 days, the idea being a quick boost to happiness when you find yourself unpolished)

I can envision an award for 1000 mot/pol in 7 days (need to mot/pol approx 150 friends/guildies/neighbors each day) that you could place on the grid and it would award 7,000 supplies every 7 days when clicked.

This could be a fun addition.

DeletedUser7719

Just an everyday +1 from me. It's something I like, but I don't it needs to be done anytime soon.

DeletedUser

I would like to see the 'achievement awards' come in the form of rewards
-1, if you add rewards to achievement, it will become quests with logbook. Which will cause balance issues allowing us to pick/seek multiple "quest" reward at the same time.

IMO achievement should track your progress i.e. reaching various milestones in military/research/construction etc like the ones suggested by mungiu, just with a nice title. Maybe:

The Conquer - win x tournaments
The Explorer - Explore the whole map.
The Builder - Build a Wonder.

As well as actual achievement for example for winning all towers at first place, that people can show off and various quirks maybe:
Shame on me - fooled by the old lady quest for the third time, **** the poor!

Note, it should reflect all possible path in the game.

DeletedUser

+1 I like the idea. . . I would like to see the 'achievement awards' come in the form of rewards . . .
-1, if you add rewards to achievement

Without rewards of any kind, it would be similar to giving a kindergarten child a gold star on his work. Meaningless to anyone beyond first grade but no harm would be done either. Without rewards of any kind I would reduce my +1 to a +0 as in not worth bothering with but I would not complain about getting an award.

DeletedUser

Thank you thank you so much for your feedback.

Indeed there may be those who favor "material things" instead of "titles". However, for the material part the quests are there.
The closest thing i can think about "the material part is letting people get certain types of decorations depending on the "achievement path they chose.

Actually this is a continuation of the idea:
Players should be able to select a certain "achievement path" that they would like to follow at once.

E.G.:
Traders achievement path would mean conquering all territories by trading.
Fighters achievement path would mean conquering all territories by fighting.
The builder achievement part would mean going through the game with certain type of "decorations". This achievement could actually be taken on by anyone who wants to simply have a pretty kingdom.

-1, if you add rewards to achievement, it will become quests with logbook. Which will cause balance issues allowing us to pick/seek multiple "quest" reward at the same time.

IMO achievement should track your progress i.e. reaching various milestones in military/research/construction etc like the ones suggested by mungiu, just with a nice title. Maybe:

The Conquer - win x tournaments
The Explorer - Explore the whole map.
The Builder - Build a Wonder.

As well as actual achievement for example for winning all towers at first place, that people can show off and various quirks maybe:
Shame on me - fooled by the old lady quest for the third time, **** the poor!

Note, it should reflect all possible path in the game.

Just my humble opinion:
Adding some fun things to do to the game will go a long way in keeping the community happy, take note that other games use this system pretty often. They know it gives a player something more to strive for. It gives the possibility of a different experience, it lets the player drift away more in a world of fantasy where his actions are counted as achievements.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Without rewards of any kind, it would be similar to giving a kindergarten child a gold star on his work. Meaningless to anyone beyond first grade but no harm would be done either. Without rewards of any kind I would reduce my +1 to a +0 as in not worth bothering with but I would not complain about getting an award.

It depends on your definition, you can say that medal awarded to war veteran or most prizes you got through your life are meaningless as much as gold star to kindergarten child, I see them as recognition and find they have sentimental value. Anyway, atm the differences between two players is their profile picture/text and their score. I don't know about you but the score doesn't tell me a lot, this will allow to break "it" down, adding some personalization by showing how you got there.

Also as longs as it is not get 10/100/1000 of x but hard things like in mungiu example "Traders achievement path would mean conquering all territories by trading." I would mind there being a reward in the form of additional score.

DeletedUser3723

Lord Vortican enthusiastically supports the concept of this idea and further agrees that meaningful rewards could have their place. One of the many interesting aspects of certain quests we are asked to pursue is the opportunity to obtain unique items such as Tree of Love and Confectionary. It is likely that these specific buildings shall never be awarded again, meaning the players who obtain them have already received something unique and meaningful. It is unlikely that a further extension of this concept would upset the balance of power in the lands if everyone was able to receive them upon reaching certain milestones and celebrating them with specific items. His Lordship would caution that such rewards should be a one-time event, item, or usage. In the end, 'tis a good suggestion and Lord Vortican is pleased to lend his considerably loud and respected voice to this effort.

DeletedUser

I would like to see the 'achievement awards' come in the form of rewards that go directly into inventory rather than just something on your profile

First of all thank to everyone for giving both PRO's and CON's!

As for why i think the reward should not be material... because non material rewards boost the intrinsic value a player starts to have for the game. I am sure many people here know that intrinsic motivation is on of the most powerful motivational tools out there.

DeletedUser

mmm... +1

Not necessarily something that I'd say we need immediately, but definitely something that I would enjoy seeing later and would be something that I could see helping keep players active during late game and being exciting for new ones.