• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Fixed: [47758] Battleground Invisible hit range

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser15986

Any chance of this bug actually being fixed? The hit range used to work, and now doesn't, so Inno should know what update broke it and be able to inspect the changes made in the code.

DeletedUser110131

@Sovereign
Arno's post is mainly dealing with this bug. The side issue he mentions isn't a bug, just bad practice. He seems to have made a significant effort, looking into the bug, going far beyond normal reporting. If they haven't already made a good start on it, the developers may find it useful.

@arno the fabulous
Great job, going through all of that! I have long suspected that Inno neglects proper code development, in favor of rushing out money-making schemes and pretty buildings (which are often the same thing). As you point out, when neglect is allowed to continue, it'll eventually make the code nearly impossible to untangle (I'm sure some refactoring was sensible enough, though not helpful to us). I can only hope that they're planning their move to HTML5 as a complete redesign, eliminating all sloppy, makeshift, hasty, and otherwise poor code. That might explain their weak efforts with the Flash code, and give hope of sturdier code at a future time. Even so, if your assessment is correct, which I'll just assume that it is, partly because I'm to lazy to do anything else, it's still not good.

It also still needs fixing. If they can't find any other way of doing it, they need to simply roll back to v1.121. They certainly need to recognize that it needs proper attention from someone with the proper skill and authority to make real changes. In other words, not a job for the intern.

@Lord B
It's hard to believe that it should be so hard, isn't it?

It was broken in v1.122. If that version also introduced new interdependencies in the relevant code, that would make a simple roll-back or inspect-and-fix difficult, and might explain the trouble. Interdependency is also why, the more updates they release without fixing this, the harder it will be to fix it by simply rolling back or changing selected pieces of code. Which makes me nervous. If there weren't any changes in dependency, the difficulty in fixing this becomes a bit of a mystery.

DeletedUser111002

Once again, please report new bugs in a new thread.

If you don't fix the game breaking bugs, is there any point worrying about cosmetic or non-critical bugs?

It's insulting of you to even ask for other bug reports when you don't bother address serious bugs already reported. I'm not going to play your game any more, nor validate your attempts to make it look like your company cares about its customers.

Here's another recently introduced non-critical bug. The crest shown on NPC sectors is the guild crest of the last guild sector I moused over, but should be the avatar of Hasdrubaal Barkas, the NPC owner shown in the pop-up:

NPC-sector-guild-crest.png

In my opinion these bugs should remain unfixed. They are a clue to new players of how careless your company is with their customers. Maybe when the game finally stops loading, people will stop playing it and your company will be buried in the dust of history.

DeletedUser110131

It appears to be fixed, on my system, at least. Anyone else feeling better today than yesterday?

DeletedUser111002

It appears to be fixed, on my system, at least. Anyone else feeling better today than yesterday?

In v1.126, the battlefield shading appears fixed. However at least one bug remains in the battlefield rendering code, although it is minor.

If the browser window changes size to become smaller during a battle, the battlefield is top-left justified in the view port, instead of remaining centered. In the screenshow below, see how the hexes extend to the top and left of the viewport, but there is a lot of space on the right side of the viewport, and some space below, between the hexes and the toolbar.

Zoomedout-off-center-battlefield.jpg

Looking at the code, only a few lines of code were touched from v1.125, so this was an actual bug fix rather than a rollback. The color scheme is also back to brownish.

In retrospect, the fact that the battlefield shading had unexpectedly turned greenish in v1.122 should have been an huge giveaway to whoever tested the release, that something is amiss, even if they didn't look in detail at the ranges. This should have been noticed at a glance, just as I noticed it (In my original bug report, it was the first change I had noticed, although I had assumed it was deliberate - "Since v1.122, the new green colour scheme for unit movement and hit ranges is unusable.")

I would like to thank the developers for finally addressing this long-lived game-breaking bug, but not before re-iterating that the company's response to this bug report is entirely unsatisfactory. I would recommend that a post-mortem be held, towards improving your processes. Currently, the bug-reporting / triage / feedback processes are inadequate.

Thank you
Arno.

Status
Not open for further replies.