• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Forwarded: [27410] GvG log information incorrect

DeletedUser16126

• World: Fel Dranghyr
  • Browser and Version:
    firefox
  • Overview of the bug:
    GvG event log is showing incorrect information.
    Last night there was a siege from Pink Bunnies in ME on 36,29. (confirmed by Jules2323, who was atatcking the siege)
    In the event log the information given is: guild unknown, player RichyRich999
    This for the placing of the siege, then harming of the army and the deletion of the siege.

I know that that player has taken down the siege, but he indicated he was not the one sieging, nor attacking. (cannot prove it just have to rely on his communication about it)
    Also the guild indicated as unknown is incorrect. Pink bunnies have not ghosted in the meantime. Their level is 29, so they are a healthy guild.

So the guild indicated as unknown is for sure wrong, the player indicated is probably wrong.
    It is a real benefit that the player name gets added when teh guild is unknown, but it is really useless if the information given is incorrect.
  • Screenshots:
  • How often this occurs:
    saw it for the first time.
  • Urgency:
    Medium, since it can blow up good relations between players;
  • Preventative Actions:
    Watch GvG to know who is sieging instead of relying on the log
  • Summary:
    GvG unknown guild given in the log when the real guild can be given.
    Probably also the players name involved is incorrect
  • I have performed a quicksearch of the forums using a select few keywords relating to my bug to see if it has already been reported:
    yes, many complaints found about unknown guilds reported, but on this kind of issue.
  • Have you tried fixing it by using methods listed in the thread pinned to the top of this forum:
    No, since it is no browser issue.

DeletedUser16026

The guild is no longer present on that particular map, so I believe that's why it's listed as guild unknown. I will look into that to double check.

As far as which player deployed the siege, it was that same player you've listed. I am not accusing anyone of lying, but could be they did it by accident or could be they left their account open somewhere and someone else did it through their account. In either case, the log isn't wrong about the guild and the player. But we will look into why it's listed as unknown.

DeletedUser99588

While you look into it can you find out why the players name who placed the siege and those that are attacking is sometimes shown and other times isn't.

DeletedUser16026

I will look into that as well. I vaguely remember testing it on my own a while back and the answer had something to do with whether the listed player was on your neighborhood/friends list. For example, in Jouchka's case if someone in their guild has that player as a neighbor/friend they will see the log listed as "[guild unknown], [playernamegoeshere]" - and if they don't have him as a neighbor/friend they won't see the player name either. But I will double check that.

If I'm thinking of a different case than you, do let me know.

DeletedUser99588

I will look into that as well. I vaguely remember testing it on my own a while back and the answer had something to do with whether the listed player was on your neighborhood/friends list. For example, in Jouchka's case if someone in their guild has that player as a neighbor/friend they will see the log listed as "[guild unknown], [playernamegoeshere]" - and if they don't have him as a neighbor/friend they won't see the player name either. But I will double check that.

If I'm thinking of a different case than you, do let me know.

Maybe it is meant to work that way but it doesn't as I have had someone on my friends list attacking a sector with me defending and I have shown up on his event list but his name didn't show on mine.

DeletedUser7719

More or less. It's like the message system's suggested names, you have to have the correct tab open to see the name. If a guild member did any action, it will show up 100% of the time when the guild tab is selected, if any other enemy does the action, you have to be lucky that he/she is in your neighborhood/friends list, and check both tabs to see if a name pops up.

DeletedUser16126

* I don't see a reason why the guild has to be present on the map to show the name.
I assume the guild is a game-wide id, not coupled to a specific map in GvG.
Maybe it is for the calculation better to have also an id on map level, but then it shall not use that maplevel id for the log info, but it shall use the game-wide guild-id instead.
* I don't see a reason why the showing of the playersname is dependent on the friends/neighbourslist.
just make it easy and show the name always!

DeletedUser99588

* I don't see a reason why the guild has to be present on the map to show the name.
I assume the guild is a game-wide id, not coupled to a specific map in GvG.
Maybe it is for the calculation better to have also an id on map level, but then it shall not use that maplevel id for the log info, but it shall use the game-wide guild-id instead.
* I don't see a reason why the showing of the playersname is dependent on the friends/neighbourslist.
just make it easy and show the name always!

It is the way it is because it is simpler. When they say they want to simplify things that doesn't mean for their customers it means for themselves. It is harder for them to provide a detailed event log that would be useful to guilds so they don't do it. The event log doesn't even show enough entries to cover the taking of a single fully defended sector. It is and always has been a job half done like a number of other features in the game. It's better than nothing though so I guess we should just be grateful we have anything at all.

DeletedUser16126

As far as which player deployed the siege, it was that same player you've listed. I am not accusing anyone of lying, but could be they did it by accident or could be they left their account open somewhere and someone else did it through their account.
Thanks for confirming this.
Don't know what to think about it... I have no problem being attacked that's the game and the fun.
Sure his excuses, blaming someone else, were inappropriate...
Player already confirmed he has not been honest...
I should have known... Pink bunnies have a doubtful reputation on this server.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser16126

It is and always has been a job half done like a number of other features in the game. It's better than nothing though so I guess we should just be grateful we have anything at all.
Strange way of handling complaints...
It's not a bug, just the implementation screws. If things are not mature, then don't introduce it or fix it.
All these half-done features just cause a lot of secondary problems, because they were hardly tested (and beta-feedback was ignored).
These unknown guilds are a pain, before it was always said that it were ghost guilds. Now it seems also to be normal guilds, which makes it even worse.

DeletedUser16026

Apologies for the late response. The 'unknown guild' reported by OP is indeed caused by the fact the the opposing guild is no longer present on the map.

Regarding the missing player names, it is not shown when the player is not on your friends or neighbor list (just like explained in the previous post). If you notice a case where this is not true, thanatos or anyone else, can you please take a screenshot of the log and provide it here or through support (feel free to mention it is for Darkstar to ensure I get it). It might help the devs figure out what's causing it.

DeletedUser99588

I can't be sure that I activated my friends tab when the incident occurred. As I recall I had just logged in and spotted a siege and started defending so it is quite likely my friends list hadn't been loaded.

DeletedUser16026

We tried a case where two guilds attack each other, and looked through the logs from 2 accounts. When the person was on their friends list we could see the player name in logs no matter what social tab we had open. When they weren't friends we couldn't see the player name in logs regardless of which social tab was open. So it seems like it's working fine.

But it's definitely possible that it doesn't work as intended in certain cases. It would just be hard to reproduce without extra info on those cases.

DeletedUser99588

If it is like the messaging system then a players name is not available until you have clicked on the appropriate tab first. It doesn't have to remain on that tab thereafter but needs to have been activated at least once since logging in for the name to be available. Did you try the experiment making sure you hadn't activated the friends tab since logging in?

DeletedUser16026

You are correct, it depends on whether or not you have initially opened the "right" social bar. Thanks, I've passed that along (FOE-27410).

DeletedUser16126

So if I understand correctly, the name is only shown if the Id is already loaded in a certain context.

A normal programmer would just do a look-up of the Id/name association to add it to the context, sure because the log is not really time-critical.

But I understand that this kind of lookup can be too difficult for the devs, at least taking into account that it shouldn't result in a lock-up situation...