• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

2018 winter event has one big flaw

• Thread starter DeletedUser114130
  • Start date

Emberguard

Legend
It's just an event. It's no big deal if I can't complete it. I could get the goods from my guild but these are Colonial age goods that are needed more for placing down GBS so that I can advance in the game. There is more to the game than these events. It's just a shame that there was no alternative to that quest.
That's fine if you don't want to get advanced GBs for your city. It just means that's one less option for how you could possibly overcome this obstacle.

The thing I love about events throwing wrenches like this is it forces you to make a stance. There is no middle ground. Either you do whatever is required to complete the quests or you accept that you can't complete that event.

It's not a bad thing to miss out on the occasional event. My first event from what I remember I got nothing from. Zilch. The only reason was I didn't understand the game well enough to be able to complete it. If we could complete every hurdle without problems then we'd never have anything to re-evaluate our cities against so we can improve them in their weak spots

I'm a new player who has a lot to learn with this game. I exhausted sector and province acquisitions because of this years events. The events encourage players to advance on the continent map. It's no big deal if I can't go further with the event. There is more to the game than playing events.
You're right - there is more to the game!

Perhaps the most important concept players need to understand about any game is if you don't follow the games design - you won't be able to complete the game, and chances are you won't be getting very far within the game either. Mistakes and obstacles in our way usually help us develop a deeper understanding as to the intended game design

For Forge of Empires the only way to complete the game is through the tech tree. Therefore all progress is linked in some way to the tech tree. You can't rush through the tree without really feeling the increase in difficulty from rushing - that's going against the game design. Likewise ignoring any one aspect is even further from the intended design and will have it's own consequences with events. Reason being you can never go backwards - only forwards or standstill. So your entire city needs to advance with you, not just one area

DeletedUser114130

Since May 2018

I'm now in HMA in 3 of 4 worlds. I have made some very big mistakes playing the game. I took advice from players telling me not to rush through that ages and so in some aspect of the game, I have taken things too slow. I have a lot to learn and overall I'm more than satisfied with the game otherwise I would have quit playing.

Emberguard

Legend
@samson61 good to hear.

Once your tech tree has caught up to your map for Colonial/Industrial the following would get you reasonably well through the Colonial/Industrial main sections of the map
Zeus Lvl 9 (27%)
CDM Lvl 8 (24%)

It wouldn't hurt to also get a CoA and I did have some event buildings that probably increased it about 6% as well. [edit] And if you want to complete the bonus sections of industrial (the top and bottom sectors) then you'll really need to get that CoA up or it'll be a very tough fight without it [/end edit]

If you're only using current age GBs then you may want to consider getting the Hagia though it's not entirely necessary. If you're not getting at least 30FPs by Colonial age you may need to rely on FP packs from GB rewards to finish events. A lvl 10 Hagia would give you 6FPs daily, the CDM gives the same amount.

DeletedUser

Agent327 with respect, where is it written that you should not advance too far on the continent map. There are no hard die rules to this game.

No, that’s right but it is a strategy game.
Choices do have concequences right?
I like that about this game having to think ahead.

DeletedUser114130

@samson61 good to hear.

Once your tech tree has caught up to your map for Colonial/Industrial the following would get you reasonably well through the Colonial/Industrial main sections of the map
Zeus Lvl 9 (27%)
CDM Lvl 8 (24%)

It wouldn't hurt to also get a CoA and I did have some event buildings that probably increased it about 6% as well. [edit] And if you want to complete the bonus sections of industrial (the top and bottom sectors) then you'll really need to get that CoA up or it'll be a very tough fight without it [/end edit]

If you're only using current age GBs then you may want to consider getting the Hagia though it's not entirely necessary. If you're not getting at least 30FPs by Colonial age you may need to rely on FP packs from GB rewards to finish events. A lvl 10 Hagia would give you 6FPs daily, the CDM gives the same amount.

Your advice is very good Emberguard

I took advice from players who told me to hold back before advancing past HMA until I had all 3 fight GBS at level 10. In hindsight, I should have held back on the continent map. I have all 3 fight GBS at levels 14 so I guess it's time to move forward. You're quite right that you should follow the game as intended but so many players scared me off going through the research tree too fast.

In respect of my dilemma, I now have the goods to negotiate the province required in order to scout a new one.

DeletedUser114130

No, that’s right but it is a strategy game.
Choices do have concequences right?
I like that about this game having to think ahead.

You're absolutely right.
this is something that I did not realise when first playing the game. It's the only game I have ever played and I'm absolutely hooked.

Agent327

Overlord
Agent327 with respect, where is it written that you should not advance too far on the continent map. There are no hard die rules to this game.

True, but there is something called common sense. Sure there are advantages in moving up on the map real fast, but there are also disadvantages and you have met one of those now. Rather childish to blame Inno for your choices.

DeletedUser

You're absolutely right.
this is something that I did not realise when first playing the game. It's the only game I have ever played and I'm absolutely hooked.

Me too :)
As simple as it may look at first instance, yet with amazing graphics, it is so cool because every step needs to be carefully considered.
It is by far the nicest game I’ve ever played.

I started on an other world as well, about a year ago, and I have great advantages from my “miscalculations” on my first game world.

ntnete0

Brigadier-General
@samson61 advice about not rushing things is good one ... but in that sense it has to be used on allmoast all aspects of the game ... some eras are more important then the others ... HMA and LMA are just so so .... i used the time there to work on arc and my colonial,industrial and progressive era goods ... as well on city size ... and daily fp collection...

At that point i was also a bit ahead on the map ....but i stoped and now i am ok with all aspects ...
So my advice would be to get some AF goods and slowly downtrade them ..then the thing that you are so ahead on the map will not be so difficult for situations that really matter like events ...

Also that if you still didn't start, you start working on arc ,as well on inno tower and dynamic tower ... these things will help you in a long run a lot ...

DeletedUser114130

@samson61 advice about not rushing things is good one ... but in that sense it has to be used on allmoast all aspects of the game ... some eras are more important then the others ... HMA and LMA are just so so .... i used the time there to work on arc and my colonial,industrial and progressive era goods ... as well on city size ... and daily fp collection...

At that point i was also a bit ahead on the map ....but i stoped and now i am ok with all aspects ...
So my advice would be to get some AF goods and slowly downtrade them ..then the thing that you are so ahead on the map will not be so difficult for situations that really matter like events ...

Also that if you still didn't start, you start working on arc ,as well on inno tower and dynamic tower ... these things will help you in a long run a lot ...

Thanks again for your advice. The arc I already have the bps for. I just need to negotiate with my guild for the goods to build it.

Agent327

Overlord
For Forge of Empires the only way to complete the game is through the tech tree. Therefore all progress is linked in some way to the tech tree. You can't rush through the tree without really feeling the increase in difficulty from rushing - that's going against the game design. Likewise ignoring any one aspect is even further from the intended design and will have it's own consequences with events. Reason being you can never go backwards - only forwards or standstill. So your entire city needs to advance with you, not just one area

I wonder how you came to that conclusion to make it a solid fact. The one thing you can rush is the tech tree. It is the one thing where you can go backwards.

Emberguard

Legend
Agent, what I meant was you can't reverse your progress, therefore you can only go forward.

That's your point of view. I'd say it's the only way to fail the game. But I'm maybe on the other extreme.
That depends on what you're calling complete.

If the definition is having access to everything, then the tech tree is the only way.

If your only concern is getting X GB to lvl XX then you can prepare ahead with that in mind as to how to achieve that

I took advice from players who told me to hold back before advancing past HMA until I had all 3 fight GBS at level 10. In hindsight, I should have held back on the continent map. I have all 3 fight GBS at levels 14 so I guess it's time to move forward
Yeah. Funnily enough I think me rushing through as far as I could with Bronze Age spearmen on the map when I first started playing saved me from making that mistake later on where it would take longer to catch up with.

For those that plan on going through the map above their age one strategy to make events easier is to get a Dynamic Tower. It produces based on the age building you aid. The biggest strength to such an output is if you're in a guild that can easily trade down through every age available. 1 oceanic good could (potentially) become 16k bronze goods.

However you could just as easily buy a amount of goods high up instead of getting the dynamic tower. Whatever's the highest age good in your guild. 10-50 for the sake of argument, and begin trading those down. You won't be able to trade down every good straight away purely because you'd be relying on everyone else's stock to trade down, and that's ok. The idea would be to get enough down to meet your needs, and in the process you'd have some goods waiting for you in each age above

Last edited:

ntnete0

Brigadier-General
However you could just as easily buy a amount of goods high up instead of getting the dynamic tower. Whatever's the highest age good in your guild. 10-50 for the sake of argument, and begin trading those down. You won't be able to trade down every good straight away purely because you'd be relying on everyone else's stock to trade down, and that's ok. The idea would be to get enough down to meet your needs, and in the process you'd have some goods waiting for you in each age above

That is what i was donig when i started playing ... it was a smart decision back then ...

DeletedUser115806

I have a different problem with the winter event. Three times I have gotten "double payment" when opening a gift, followed by "shuffle." The gifts are reset and I don't get two of ANYthing. Couldn't post under bug report either, for some reason,.