• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

2 Spearmen defense army epidemic - is there a secret to this defense I'm unaware of?

DeletedUser114342

Hi,

I've been playing FOE for a few months now and I consider myself one up from a noob (I don't think I can all myself that anymore).
After browsing the forum yesterday, I came across the "plunder" discussion thread, so I thought I would try my hand at attacking and plundering my neighbours.

I'm in LMA and before I just attacked my neighbours to fulfill the requirements of a quest and only plundered when they had a 2 spearmen defense thinking that they just don't really care enough about their goods if they don't protect them. As I only ever attacked from the bottom of the hood, I thought this was just a few people who did not set their defensive army because we're all in HMA/LMA /CA already and people should of learnt by now to set a defensive army.

Today, I attacked over 40 neighbours (I got bored after a while) and only 6 had some sort of defensive army set up, 3 had all 8 units.
The rest had only 2 spearmen as their defense, including those that were participating in PvP! The higher I went up in the hood, I had hopes that this 2 spearmen epidemic would be coming to an end, but sadly no.

So it got me thinking that I must be missing something here?
Is there something so great about the 2 spearmen defense that I don't know about?
Has the 2 spearmen defense ever beaten an attacking army?

As this is a strategy game and as so many people are using the 2 spearmen defense in their strategy, there must be something I am missing.

Emberguard

Legend
Yeah most people seem to not know how defence works. At the moment I'm assuming that's what the problem is given there was never an actual tutorial on how defence works

I figured it out when playing the game just over a year ago, but that was back when PvP could be done right from the moment you get units. Given you won't have to deal with defence now until somewhere near the end of Iron Age it's probably not going to be something that jumps out at you unless you realise the grey button from before is now blue.

DeletedUser114342

OK, I can understand that if these players were in IA or EMA, but it's not too hard to work out how to set up your defenses.

The first time I got plundered, I looked it up. There is heaps of information out there, you just have to do a google search and it pops up.
Also, some of these people were actively attacking the hood that only had a 2 spearmen defense, so surely they would see that others had defensive armies so they know it can be done.

Emberguard

Legend
Knowing it can be done is different from knowing how to do it. And not everyone will look up how to do things. Some prefer to just play the game and figure things out rather then look them up

That being said, some people I've come across think the defence GBs determine your defence and don't realise you have to actually choose your defence

People also use the 2 spearmen defence to deter PvP attacks as you gain virtually no points, but if everyone in the neighbourhood is doing the same this cancels itself out.

It's boring but personally I see it as an easy win with free stuff :D

DeletedUser114342

Ok, I get that, but if these people want to figure it out, wouldn’t they go into army management and start experimenting by pushing different buttons?

That’s what I do as well if I want to figure something out.

I just wanted to make sure that I wasn’t missing something here (which happens to me all the time, lol).

DeletedUser114342

Wow! Ok, are these the people that also send you ‘fan mail?’...I'm still waiting on my first one :P

Also, are these the people that build goods buildings that they don't have a deposit for, coz I have a lots of them in my hood as well. Over half of the people I plundered only gave me one or two goods each :(

Wow! Ok, are these the people that also send you ‘fan mail?’...I'm still waiting on my first one :P

Also, are these the people that build goods buildings that they don't have a deposit for, coz I have a lots of them in my hood as well. Over half of the people I plundered only gave me one or two goods each :(

I've never had fan mail either, really sad about that :(

If you plunder a goods building for something that you cannot produce yourself then even 1 is better than nothing, better you having it than them :D

DeletedUser114342

If you plunder a goods building for something that you cannot produce yourself then even 1 is better than nothing, better you having it than them :D[/QUOTE]

Good point! I'll keep right on doing it then :D

Emberguard

Legend
Some do it to troll people. Especially if they have a city that can't be plundered anyway

Yes. Someone sent me a dick emoji. Which at first I thought was a really weird face 'cause it was 3 characters of text

DeletedUser114342

Yes. Someone sent me a dick emoji. Which at first I thought was a really weird face 'cause it was 3 characters of text

What! OMG! Too funny! Didn't even realise there was such a thing! Geez, now I really feel like I'm missing out! :lol:

DeletedUser114342

@Emberguard : I was curious, so I googled dick emoji...do you know that there is a website that's called emojidick.com?
When I clicked on it I found that it's actually a Japanese emoji translation of the book Moby Dick! How's that for random :blush:

DeletedUser114342

@TheKingOfKool Yeah, last week someone got kicked out of our guild and his reaction was extreme. At least I found out a new saying to curse someone with. I tried it on my friend's partner the other day and he had no clue what it meant until I explained it to him.

@Emberguard : I was curious, so I googled dick emoji...do you know that there is a website that's called emojidick.com?
When I clicked on it I found that it's actually a Japanese emoji translation of the book Moby Dick! How's that for random :blush:

Far as I know, there is no way to send img's in a msg (in game that is). You have to create an image from ASCII characters and assemble the chars in a way that creates an image. You can also use extended chars → hold down the [ALT] and depress 3 numbers(0-255) on the numeric keypad.
Like so:
→(Alt-26) α(alt-224) ₧(alt-158) ⌐(alt-169)

Emberguard

Legend
it was text emoji. Not a image.

And there is a way to send image emojis, that's whatever is on your phone while on mobile mode. But you'd have to also be reading on mobile to see them

DeletedUser99588

Some players think they are punishing the attacker by having spear(s) in defence by minimising the points the attacker will receive. I don't attack neighbours for points I attack for goodies. All spears mean to me is an easy battle with zero loss or injured so I have more troops for fighting elsewhere. Gave up reading messages from whinging neighbours a long time ago. To be honest not many send them and the ones that do follow a similar line. Blah blah blah how long did you sit in my city waiting for stuff, blah blah blah you need to get a life, blah blah blah with expletives.