• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Why I am leaving the game

Emberguard

Legend
If GBG is a closed system with a special GBG currency (like the settlements) and with rewards that can only be used within GBG (to pay for buildings e.g.), then it will probably not be attractive to very many players. Then it will only be for competition and ranking points (like GvG). To motivate players to participate in GBG, there must be some kind of useful rewards that can be used in the main game.
Yes. Particularly now that everyone is used to it. But if the game had been designed in such a way that it was enjoyable without relying on the rewards to make it worthwhile, then you could add rewards and it'd enhance it as a side bonus rather than being the reason for it

Ariana Erosaire

Chief Warrant Officer
Whether that'd be better or worse who knows.

Erm, it's a little hard for me to imagine how they could have designed it worse than how it's turned out. So I'll err on the side of virtually anything could have been done to make GBG better and more balanced than it is - without repeating what I've said in the Battleground feedback thread for over a year.

Ariana Erosaire

Chief Warrant Officer
If GBG is a closed system with a special GBG currency (like the settlements) and with rewards that can only be used within GBG (to pay for buildings e.g.), then it will probably not be attractive to very many players. Then it will only be for competition and ranking points (like GvG). To motivate players to participate in GBG, there must be some kind of useful rewards that can be used in the main game.

I thought the original "selling point" for GBG was that it's the only way they could port something like GvG to the mobile app - and all those mobile players were missing the fun of an interactive team battle? Hmm turns out players just needed a game hack to farm personal rewards, otherwise it's not interesting? I mean this is saying the only thing that will motivate people to play a game is if they can basically cheat at it.

GvG did a fine job of motivating people to play for years - including my friend who just quit. Simple competition yes, the GAME part of gaming, without grossly over-powered rewards to bribe us into it. That is actually what made it sustainable. Being candid, Arcs started to unbalance that 2 years before the atrocity that is Battlegrounds put the last nail in the coffin, because high Arcs are also a source of unlimited forge points. But it was just FPs and medals, not also unlimited fights, rank points, goods, troops and unlimited copies of event buildings, etc. etc.

Battleground should have been more like GvG, and more team-oriented since that was supposedly the point of it - it's a solo greed fest as implemented, and the economy of the game has unchecked inflation, which makes everything you click for worth less and less every day. But our discussion is merely philosophical, as something would have been done by now if it was going to be done to "fix" any of it.

Knight of ICE

Amazing how someone announcing he will leave the game, leads yet again to the same discussion about GvG and GBG. You would expect comments like "sorry to see you go", or "it was nice knowing you", but some just have to grab every possible opportunity to voice their opinion on GBG and GvG.

Sorry you feel you have to leave the game potatoskunk. Hope you find something else you will like.

Burpo

Sergeant
Battleground should have been more like GvG, and more team-oriented since that was supposedly the point of it - it's a solo greed fest as implemented, and the economy of the game has unchecked inflation, which makes everything you click for worth less and less every day.
Totally agree with this comment.
And as much as I like the the joy of obtaining something valuable from Antique Dealer, it has the same effect.
All long term goals have now become achievable in the short term without appreciable effort.
Strangely enough, the Mughal Settlement has become my new long term goal :)

Ariana Erosaire

Chief Warrant Officer
@Knight of ICE the feeling is mutual. Some people can't handle the truth.

Problems with the game ARE relevant to why people are leaving it. That's completely in keeping with the original post. Get your goose-stepping out of my coffee break -- It's Cafe corner! Yeah, we take every opportunity to discuss the game without getting shutdown or shot down.

Whatever I have to say is always a problem because it's not promoting the company line that all the changes in the past couple of years must be glorified, instead of admitting some of them are big mistakes. It's driving the game right into a ditch, but go ahead and >>-----> SHOOT THE MESSENGER <-----<<. We got lots of Arrows for that.

@Burpo only left with Mughal goals... lol, its a sad state of affairs.

Janet Devlin

Corporal
I don't know, is there is a difference between being shot down and shutdown? The forum moderator seems to be all over this forum writing alongside players with the topics being presented. I'm going to presume this person plays the game so as well as being a moderator is also a player (a we) just like anyone else and is entitled to be part of a discussion. In this case, the comment is a put down not a shutdown? A shutdown would be a move to close the thread. That wasn't indicated. So it must be a put down? I don't agree with either one but everyone can put their 2 cents in?

Since the original poster did give a reason as to why he/she was leaving which is GVG (girls versus girls) and GBG (girls and boy and girls) then this thread is on topic. - Is it okay to joke a little on this forum?

Seriously though, the topic over GVG and GBG is valid because potato skunk wrote about those things and took part in some of the discussion. Yeah.

Andrew420

Major
took part in some of the discussion. Yeah.
If this was supposed to be a discussion it would have been posted in the discussion section (Its in the cafe corner btw)
The OP stated why they are leaving the game instead of just saying goodbye other people turned it into a discussion
The forum moderator
I'm going to presume this person plays the game
You dont have to assume anything Moderators are players who volunteer to do the job
@Knight of ICE is no different they are allowed to post as a player

Janet Devlin

Corporal
@Andrew420 Thank you for confirming that Knight of ICE is a player too and I agree with you. A player is allowed to post. As long as the post is as a player and not a moderator there shouldn't be any problem disagreeing with him too?

Not sure how to accept that one section is for a discussion but not the other? That's confusing specially for the cafe corner. You can drink coffee but no talking? I'm recalling my memories of my youth in the library. "I think that...." shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! you are in a library! lol
Then there is the possibility of posting as read only. Hummm not a players option? I don't think potato skunk wanted zero feedback on what he wrote because I do see several responses he made after saying goodbye which goes to show that he was open to discussion and still thinking about what he wrote. Sounds reasonable to me that discussion might happen. Using the word discussion in a context of a general post arrangement of - post - post a reply - reply to a reply kind of system.

DESYPETE

Lieutenant
i wonder how many players are now bored with gbg ? the time it takes has driven me into getting more of my own life back and less and less time on the game, i used to dominate all the pvp towers which was my main aim in the game, it gave me a huge challenge to try to win them all as some would be playing in gvg and gain scores etc anyway it was fun for me, along comes gbg and out goes that side of the game for me as the scores made by players in top guilds who swap sectors just makes it impossible to even challenge them, no challenge kills interest, i think most players are now just doing a little bit of gbg to make some extra points, this game certainly benefits those who are retired or have no work, but the rest of us who work its a slog trying to keep up, hence i have cut right down lately, i just wonder how many others have started to get bored enough to cut down online time ? should the game devs take notice or is it just a part of the process ? ie players leave and new players start and get hooked ?

That special event building you got 2 years ago? big deal, want 10 of them? hang out in the dealer all day

I actually see a lot of people complaining about the "game creep." Players who started 5+ years ago talk about how they used to salivate over getting Shrines which would give 1 FP on a 2x2, or how getting the Arc, itself, was a 1-to-2 year endeavor.

And I also understand that it feels terrible to have invested time, effort and even real money (diamonds), for the developers to regularly add inflation to the game. But if they didn't do so, newer players would have no chance. There would just a group of legacy players that dominate every aspect of the game, and any newer player would be relegated to "newbie" status for years, because even if they were playing for 2 years, there would othe players advancing at the same rate 3-4 years ahead of them. The games inflation (or "creep"), allows newer players to compete with strong players over time (still takes quite some time, but not infinity!)

This helps newer players join and stick around. So for every 8-year player that leaves because of "creep," 100 new players join and stay on because of the same reason. So if you were running a sustainable gaming company, what might you do?

GADfan

Warrant Officer
I actually see a lot of people complaining about the "game creep." Players who started 5+ years ago talk about how they used to salivate over getting Shrines which would give 1 FP on a 2x2, or how getting the Arc, itself, was a 1-to-2 year endeavor.

And I also understand that it feels terrible to have invested time, effort and even real money (diamonds), for the developers to regularly add inflation to the game. But if they didn't do so, newer players would have no chance. There would just a group of legacy players that dominate every aspect of the game, and any newer player would be relegated to "newbie" status for years, because even if they were playing for 2 years, there would othe players advancing at the same rate 3-4 years ahead of them. The games inflation (or "creep"), allows newer players to compete with strong players over time (still takes quite some time, but not infinity!)

This helps newer players join and stick around. So for every 8-year player that leaves because of "creep," 100 new players join and stay on because of the same reason. So if you were running a sustainable gaming company, what might you do?
It could have been possible to have both.

If the game had've been designed in such a way that only newish players are in the first 'x' eras, then when you reach a certain point you HAVE to move up to the next set of eras where you compete against similarly equal players but have very limited contact with those below you (trade, for example), and, again at a certain point, you HAVE to move up again, then it would've been possible to tailor each set of eras to those within it.

More suitable gameplay, everyone more or less on an equal footing and challenges (also items rewards, etc) dependant on eras.

Praeceptor

Lieutenant Colonel
Amazing how someone announcing he will leave the game, leads yet again to the same discussion about GvG and GBG. You would expect comments like "sorry to see you go", or "it was nice knowing you", but some just have to grab every possible opportunity to voice their opinion on GBG and GvG.

It just proves to me that Inno isn't listening to players concerns in the feedback threads.

Knight of ICE

It just proves to me that Inno isn't listening to players concerns in the feedback threads.

So it helps to voice those concerns in non-feedback threads?

The way I see it they do listen to feedback. They just might be thinking different about the situation. Also players expect immediate changes and that is something I have rarely seen happen. Because of the few times it did happen, players now expect it to happen all the time.

Praeceptor

Lieutenant Colonel
So it helps to voice those concerns in non-feedback threads?

The way I see it they do listen to feedback. They just might be thinking different about the situation. Also players expect immediate changes and that is something I have rarely seen happen. Because of the few times it did happen, players now expect it to happen all the time.

The only time we seem to be able to change things is by making a lot of noise everywhere we can. Granted it's not often it works, but it's better than allowing Inno to think we're all satisfied the way things are.

If they are thinking different about the situation it would be much better customer service if they posted a reply once in a while instead of leaving it to their apologists to take the flak.

Paladiac the Pure

Major-General
The only time we seem to be able to change things is by making a lot of noise everywhere we can. Granted it's not often it works, but it's better than allowing Inno to think we're all satisfied the way things are.

If they are thinking different about the situation it would be much better customer service if they posted a reply once in a while instead of leaving it to their apologists to take the flak.
On the other hand - with the near constant whining and complaining that the majority of threads contain - perhaps Inno has just gotten tired of the self-entitled players and given up on the 'feedback', since whining and complaining is not feedback of any kind. Perhaps Inno would spend more time listening to the players, if the players were to respect them, as much as the players whine about not being respected by Inno. If players did not really like this game, they would leave - but few do (not including those that take breaks from the game) - most stay around, seemingly, so they can find something new to complain about.
I would agree with you however about the situations may be improved if someone from Inno would take the time to actually reply to the 'masses', even if it just to explain a decision they make, but if they choose not to, oh well, their choice. It is what it is.

Praeceptor

Lieutenant Colonel
On the other hand - with the near constant whining and complaining that the majority of threads contain - perhaps Inno has just gotten tired of the self-entitled players and given up on the 'feedback', since whining and complaining is not feedback of any kind. Perhaps Inno would spend more time listening to the players, if the players were to respect them, as much as the players whine about not being respected by Inno. If players did not really like this game, they would leave - but few do (not including those that take breaks from the game) - most stay around, seemingly, so they can find something new to complain about.
I would agree with you however about the situations may be improved if someone from Inno would take the time to actually reply to the 'masses', even if it just to explain a decision they make, but if they choose not to, oh well, their choice. It is what it is.

Firstly, I think the people who pay the wages ARE ENTITLED to complain if they're not happy.

I think the reason most stay is because they have made friends here, they have a lot of time (and money) invested in the game, and they really want to see it work. Inno have changed some terrible decisions in the past, but only if we make enough of a noise about it.

I used to be a regular contributor to constructive discussions here, but I've largely given up because of the contempt a lot of us feel towards us.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with the annoying aiding and visiting taverns however Inno DID improve the tavern feature by removing the sit-down animation so the devs do listen and consider how to make the game better.
There is a trade-off though.
Making a game requires work and workers should (need to!) be paid for their effort.
Most free-to-play games are actually pay-to-win which is a big turn-off for poor, casual, or certain perfectionist players.
FoE is the best all-round game I have come across so far that balances time vs money so well.

I agree with the pain it is to aid, for me it's a mundane task especially with all the time needed between each player( i want to aid as much as possible but it takes far too long between clicks and switching pages )
The tavern sit down system is much better now.
I have left the game and returned a few times, at times because of personal RL situations and others just out of boredom for the continuous repetitive tasks and quests, especially during events.
One reason i come back is that it is possible to advance right through the game and obtain almost everything at least once without spending any, or tons of real cash, many games these days you have to pay just to advance or not get wiped out. The other advantage here is no matter how many times you get attacked or plundered, you really lose nothing that can't be regained,.

On the plus side there is a new ( mini game ? ) on Beta called the Castle System, which i think is rather cool, it rewards you for just logging in regularly and doing your normal daily routine.
Some of the rewards are fair but it's the permanent boosts to your city which is very cool.

To update this, i'm not sure if it's my imagination, but it seems that aiding is much faster on the live server than on Beta ?

Last edited:

Paladiac the Pure

Major-General
Firstly, I think the people who pay the wages ARE ENTITLED to complain if they're not happy.

I think the reason most stay is because they have made friends here, they have a lot of time (and money) invested in the game, and they really want to see it work. Inno have changed some terrible decisions in the past, but only if we make enough of a noise about it.

I used to be a regular contributor to constructive discussions here, but I've largely given up because of the contempt a lot of us feel towards us, and the sarcastic and condescending nature of some of the mods replies.
You really are full of yourself, aren't you? Entitled to complain - completely shows how disrespectful you are towards the game developers - and shows that you are one of the reasons why Inno probably does not waste time reading forums, except by chance.
The fact that you feel you are entitled - shows a very condescending nature towards the game. If you feel like people show you contempt - it is most likely because of your very attitude, and apparently you are deserving of such contempt.