• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Some thoughts on how to boost GVG participation

DeletedUser503

Hi all

I wrote this in response to the GVG problem question but never posted it.

These ideas are just a few of the ideas that I've had

SO...…….....

GVG and why it’s not popular

I play GVG. I used to play a lot of it and was very good at it.

Then I decided it wasn’t worth it.

Knocking down an eight-army defence, actively defending, became more and more expensive and reliant on internet speeds. It also became predictable and monotonous

Manipulation of the fixed changeover time, releasing sectors and capturing them back and attacking at 1 second after changeover turned it into a game played mostly in a narrow time window.

Guilds racing across the map to corral vast areas and then release them, surrounding with a ring of defence so no one else can get to them made the game one-sided. This can still be seen on MK where the same Guilds hold the sectors they took early on.

The other idea is to surround the landing zone, leaving later landers stuck on the beach.

Multiple landings by a Guild in one invasion is something that could look be looked at.

The any age world was a good idea, but again, dominated by a couple of Guilds.

Not being able to delete your last sector is a hostage game.

Some ideas:

Participating attackers and defender players can win bonusses/ prizes for joining in.

Introduce prizes won in GE/ quests that give a GVG advantage.

‘Annexation’ – take an unowned LZ sector.

‘Night strike’ – eliminate some defence armies in unowned LZ.

‘Sabotage’ – eliminate half/ all an attacking army/ defence army.

‘Spy’ – reveal the enemy defence armies

‘Special Forces’ – attack or defence bonus doubled.

‘Churchill’ – defence troops are replaced on one for two eliminated basis.

‘Rommel’ – attack troops are replaced on a one for two basis.

‘Market Garden’ – attack a sector two squares away belonging to the same defender.

‘Napoleon’ – Attacking Infantry troops move x2 distance.

‘Wellington’ – Defending Infantry troops double defence value

‘Nuclear’ – Destroy a defending sector that is blacked out for the rest of the game/ week

‘Pre-emptive strike’ – an actively defending Guild can attack a sector two away owned by the attacker

‘Gas attack’ – eliminates a defending army – lose Guild points for use.

‘Pigeon post’ – attacker/ defender replaces two units in an army.

And so on – ‘The Great Wall’ – ‘Sea Forts’ – ‘Armada’ – ‘Drone attack’, ‘Drone Defence’, ‘Mons Meg’, ‘Sea of Fire’, ‘The Great Mirror’, ‘Elephant’ come to mind

Vary the changeover time by +/- two hours.

Splitting a defence line means the sectors orphaned instantly lose their defence additions. (not at changeover).

Restrict the attack armies to only four rogues.

Allow an attacking Guild to have two armies attacking a sector by use of Guild Power points.

As a landing zone sector is captured, allow another LZ.

Sectors that are corralled/ stagnant should have LZ designated on a random basis.

Consideration should be given to restricting attack and defence bonuses.

The last Guild sector should be able to be deleted.

Bring in a ‘surprise/ blitzkrieg’ attack scenario that can be won capturing a sector. This allows attackers to attack and reduce the defence by X% before showing on the map.

Bring in a ‘maginot line’ defence bonus that allows X% of troops to be replaced whilst under attack.

Allow air-born troops only to attack inland on a sector not in LZ (Must be all units of army, as below)

Allow sea-born troops only to cause collateral damage to adjacent coastal area sectors owned by same Guild (two deep from coast)

Allow attacking armoured (heavy) troops only to cause much heavier damage to a capital.

Allow defence troops of artillery only to have an attack bonus to boost damage (as they are in defence and attackers are in the open)

Consider giving attached troops ‘regimental cohesion’ bonusses against unattached unit

Award bonus to attached troops successfully attacking or defending a sector.

Allow attached troops to achieve elite status by collecting points

Designate troops as attached to a particular regiment (i.e. military building) to facilitate above.

Allow proper Alliances that have to be upheld for so many weeks – the attacker/ defender uses both Guild’s power points to determine bonusses.

And so forth

RJE June 2019

DeletedUser503

Well, I'm an optimist.
Plus - if you don't evolve, and evolution is coming harder to progress, then you go the way of Travian.

DeletedUser99588

Some interesting thoughts but sadly Agent is probably correct. One they cannot find a way to get App players involved in it so a significant part of the customer base doesn't benefit from the effort of any changes/improvements. Also I think they struggle with understanding the code. Always more difficult wading through code written by someone else and there will be a vast amount of it for GvG.

DeletedUser503

Coding is the weak point with a lot of games, if I recall, this is written in three different code sets, but some of what I've proposed is relatively easy to add in. My previous laptop was a software development device and it had a habit of displaying the coding for a number of games and what struck me was the lack of comment fields.

Agent327

Overlord
Well, I'm an optimist.
Plus - if you don't evolve, and evolution is coming harder to progress, then you go the way of Travian.

They do evolve. That's why they are working on Guild Battlegrounds. If you took the time and effort to read that, you would know that GvG will stay as is.

You can see yourself as an optimist, but that's not the word used for someone tilting at windmills.

You can have thoughts on the subject all you want. You just can not suggest any changes, so your post is rather useless.

What Not To Suggest?

In particular, please do not suggest the following ideas, as they will not be implemented:

• Changes/Additions to GvG

Last edited:

Shad23

Emperor
unfortunately Agent is right , i would love it if they'd consider some changes to GVG but it's prity pointless cause they don't want or can't do the changes
What Not To Suggest?

In particular, please do not suggest the following ideas, as they will not be implemented:

DeletedUser503

They do evolve. That's why they are working on Guild Battlegrounds. If you took the time and effort to read that, you would know that GvG will stay as is.

You can see yourself as an optimist, but that's not the word used for someone tilting at windmills.

You can have thoughts on the subject all you want. You just can not suggest any changes, so your post is rather useless.

What Not To Suggest?

I seem to recall the game was constantly going nowhere and it was player interventions that moved it in different directions. Granted the Number one man unfortunately passed away and it is planned by committee and accountants these days, however, I can see suggestions I made over the years in action in the game.
I assume battlegrounds comes from Elvenar, where, in my view, it didn't work on the closed Beta. Sometimes it is a bridge too far.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser113696

I was an active gvg player and enjoyed the challenge in the All Ages sector. That was ended when Mars age troops arrived - they have such strong battle stats that the All Ages should now be renamed Mars Only as I have yet to come across anyone with oceanic troops able to even scratch these monsters. So unless the new replacement to gvg is started soon I can see many players loosing even more interest in the game, scrapping their cities and quitting the game.

I was an active gvg player and enjoyed the challenge in the All Ages sector. That was ended when Mars age troops arrived - they have such strong battle stats that the All Ages should now be renamed Mars Only as I have yet to come across anyone with oceanic troops able to even scratch these monsters. So unless the new replacement to gvg is started soon I can see many players loosing even more interest in the game, scrapping their cities and quitting the game.

Boost your battle bldgs. My boost in OF is 455/265 - plenty to take out all but the sentinels - they are the tough buggers.