• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Disable the ability for others to polish decorations

• Thread starter DeletedUser12149
  • Start date

DeletedUser12149

Proposal: I would like the option to disable or lock my decorations to stop people from polishing them.

Have you checked the forums for the same or similar idea? Yes

Reason: People either don't read, or polish decorations just to be as least useful as they possibly can. If they want a chance at a blueprint, make them do something useful.

Details: I like having a few decorations in my town, and there are quests that want me to build them, but I always end up deleting them just so I don't give people a chance to be useless. If I could lock them, these people would be forced to polish/motivate something useful.

Visual Aids: N/A

Balance/Abuse Prevention: No balance or abuse issues that I can think of.

DeletedUser12149

It's not the same. This isn't a "make me rich" thing, and I'm not forcing anyone to do anything. They can visit my city, see that they're not able to polish a useless item any more as they would like to do, and leave without doing anything, I'm fine with that. But if they want to use my city as a way of farming blueprints, they can deal with not being able to polish a useless item any more.

This would just be an option that would allow people to make their city look nice without the negative aspects of having decorations. I'm sure you noticed that a lot of people even agreed on that thread (including you, which is funny), and my idea doesn't go as far as that suggestion.

The devs must have noticed by now that a lot of players just don't build decorations any more, and this is the reason why. There is an extremely minimal benefit to them beyond the aesthetic, and they basically just take up space (hence the name decoration), so why not just allow us to have them for aesthetic value and nothing else?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser1094

That's a big no, from me...

Restrictions should be kept to a minimum...
When choosing to build decorations, the players are also choosing the risk of them being polished.
...but, that's just my opinion. :p

DeletedUser12149

That's a big no, from me...

Restrictions should be kept to a minimum...
When choosing to build decorations, the players are also choosing the risk of them being polished.
...but, that's just my opinion. :p

The fact that you call it a risk means you're basically agreeing with me too. Why should there be any risk to building a nice fountain or a hedge?

DeletedUser653

Totally disagree.
Many players need a BP from a certain age and need to find buildings/Decorations from that age. If you are a nice person in your guild you actually demolish a house and repalce it with a decoration from ages you do not have buildings - to help your fellow Guild members out.
however if you do not care about them you would stop anypne from polishing your decorations.

Another reason to say no is because it gives you another option with players in your area and instead of plundering them every day you actually have another valuable option in polishing/motivating them. In this case its very important not to give them lots ofgcoins or goods so you want to polish a small decoration of the right age for your BP search.

So all in all I say no, its a bad idea and lets stay as we are (after all you have the choice to build decorations or not!!)

Mark

DeletedUser12149

Another reason to say no is because it gives you another option with players in your area and instead of plundering them every day you actually have another valuable option in polishing/motivating them. In this case its very important not to give them lots ofgcoins or goods so you want to polish a small decoration of the right age for your BP search.

Exactly. Another person proving my point without even knowing it. You're being the least helpful as you possibly can, but you still want your blueprint out of the deal, don't you? You wouldn't want to do something useful in return for your chance of a blueprint. That would be terrible. :)

DeletedUser

I agree that someone polishing a decoration is less helpful to you than a cultural decoration. And something like this would certainly mean less arguments in guilds about inappropriate polishing.

But I think that more options for interaction is better than less. When you say that X is slightly less useful to me so I don't want people to be able to do it, where does that end?

The same thinking could say, well, a gallows is a cultural building but it is smaller than a marketplace so I don't want people to be able to polish it. Or, buildings from previous ages aren't as good as current age ones, so I don't want someone to be able to motivate X supply building while I have Y available. Or don't let people motivate 1 hour houses while I have 4 hour houses.

These all sound silly but are the same basic principle.

I like the simplicity of knowing that if it is in your town, its fair game.

DeletedUser12149

But I didn't say that it is slightly less useful. I said it is useless... and a blueprint is not. So I'll say it again: you want a blueprint? Do something useful.

DeletedUser7719

Looks like you're still consistent. What I put the link up for is to say that this would be falling under the "make yourself richer" by forcing people to do something useful to your city. Above that, people should have the choice to do what they want.

DeletedUser12149

Nope. Not forcing anyone to do anything. They can always just leave my town if they would rather not do something useful in return for that blueprint.

And if people should have the choice to do what they want... aren't I included in those people? I want to disable polishing on my decorations. :)

DeletedUser7719

Another problem is if this idea was accepted, the next thing that would be seen is: Toggle Motivate/Polish, then force someone to Motivate/Polish if you visit, then force someone to Motivate/Polish everyday... (that was over-exaggerated)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser12149

Another problem is if this idea was accepted, the next thing that would be seen is: Toggle Motivate/Polish, then force someone to Motivate/Polish if you visit, then force someone to Motivate/Polish everyday...

What?

DeletedUser

If I polish your flower it is useful for ME. I get a shot a bronze age bp and I get 20 gold. If you are a friend or guild member then I will take into account what you want when I visit. If you are just a neighbor then count yourself lucky that I don't attack you and plunder something. In short, I don't care what is useful to YOU. I care that it is in the rules and useful to ME and that I can be as much of a selfish prick as you. Alternately, you could send a nice personal message to the guy who is polishing your bush and try to see things from his side. Perhaps you could even become friends.

DeletedUser653

If I polish your flower it is useful for ME. I get a shot a bronze age bp and I get 20 gold. If you are a friend or guild member then I will take into account what you want when I visit. If you are just a neighbor then count yourself lucky that I don't attack you and plunder something. In short, I don't care what is useful to YOU. I care that it is in the rules and useful to ME and that I can be as much of a selfish prick as you. Alternately, you could send a nice personal message to the guy who is polishing your bush and try to see things from his side. Perhaps you could even become friends.

a bit strongly worded, but straight to the point and quite correct.

DeletedUser

yaaa ban decoration polishing!

let's remember what counts as decorations:

- memorials (+72 happiness in the stone age)
- ponds (+126 happiness in the EMA)
- aqueduct (+155 happiness in the iron age)
- group of trees, tower ruin (+160, +170 happiness in the LMA)
- neptune fountain, clock tower (+188, +201 happiness in the colonial age)

I for one, would be pretty ticked off if you couldn't polish memorials. 72 extra happiness is pretty handy at the start of the game.

DeletedUser653

Huscarl,
I remember the stone age where I polished decorations like mad every day because of the 20 coins per polish. Very valuable that was to me and at the beginning gave me more coins then my houses!

DeletedUser12149

yaaa ban decoration polishing!

let's remember what counts as decorations:

- memorials (+72 happiness in the stone age)
- ponds (+126 happiness in the EMA)
- aqueduct (+155 happiness in the iron age)
- group of trees, tower ruin (+160, +170 happiness in the LMA)
- neptune fountain, clock tower (+188, +201 happiness in the colonial age)

I for one, would be pretty ticked off if you couldn't polish memorials. 72 extra happiness is pretty handy at the start of the game.

That is why it is called an option. You know, a choice you get to make for yourself.