• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Already Suggested: City Schematics

Should Inno implement a new viewing mode?

• yes

Votes: 21 87.5%
  • no

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters

jamin101

Private
Proposal:
Add a new viewing mode to game to allow various perspectives of own city

I did skim thru ideas section and didn't see anything completely relevant to this. (i may have skipped over it if it does exist)

Reason:
With cities becoming larger and new event buildings and GB's releasing becoming taller and larger, city planning has become difficult due the varying sizes of buildings. Smaller buildings become hidden by bigger ones leading to overlooking of smaller buildings or excess roads. In a game where the build and efficiency of a city is important, i want to be able to remove any inefficient building strategies that may occur within my city

Details:
There are different ways to solve this whether it be a top down view that is implemented, a blueprint view that allows you clearly see the layout of city, or a way to rotate the city to get different angles. Personally id like to see a blueprint view, as it guarantees no obstructions of view

Balance:
Potentially only in reconstruction mode. This would enable player to use it for construction and reconstruction of city and not for things like finding incidents within city

Summary:
A new mode for visual allowing for better understanding of city layout. Unobstructed view of roads and smaller buildings

This has been suggested in many various incarnations - a simple view of where everything is to simply give a view of All Items as shown when they are in construction mode when 1st placed in the city - not even the half way built view.

DeletedUser653

Great idea, there is already a layout on the Foe Helper, but i fully understand that not everyone is happy to load this onto their phone/PC so we really need an official FoE 2D City layout and this really does help efficient layouts. +1

jamin101

Private

A lot of these thread u replied which i cant seem to open due to "file not found" (that pertains to the middle 4)
Also, a lot of the threads are very old (the first one u sent from 2013) and i think the topic could use a refresh on perceptive which I indicated with larger event buildings. Up until 2 years ago, the best cities had many many SOK's which are decent buildings, but are small and not an issue to work around. The issue will continue to get worse as buildings get larger.

Last edited:

DeletedUser653

..................... Up until 2 years ago, the best cities had many many SOK's which are decent buildings, but are small and not an issue to work around. The issue will continue to get worse as buildings get larger.

100% agree, the game has moved on and most older players have started to delete soks (and dealer does pay well for them)

jamin101

Private
100% agree, the game has moved on and most older players have started to delete soks (and dealer does pay well for them)

I mostly say that because.. having 100 SOK is great.. but u can still see the road behind it because they are little. Now having Truce Tower beside HC beside CF, next to Olympic treasury and world fair and all these other large buildings and then try putting a few SOK in. You wont find the SOK

Here is an example of truce tower beside HC hiding 3 little wishing wells, which u almost cant even see

DeletedUser653

It's your city, your layout. Why you want to hide SoKs and little WWs, behind big buildings? It's your fault.
come on think about it. The most valuable thing in the game is space, so an efficient layout to maximise this is a massive thing and hence you might have a 2x2 space behind a big building - any one who thinks that an inefficient city layout is good is not a serious player

jamin101

Private
It's your city, your layout. Why you want to hide SoKs and little WWs, behind big buildings? It's your fault.

City and layout and efficiency is important to the game. Roads are not an efficient use of space in a city. One of the best ways to minimize road use is to keep them as straight as possible, and placing the larger buildings towards the outside of your city. As u get to the lower side of your city, you will come across smaller buildings being hidden by the larger buildings especially in that bottom corner. Yes i could do what u suggested, not put my big buildings in the bottom because that is the biggest culprit for this issue, but now i cant stop 5 spaces from the edge cuz of large building, i have to add 4 roads to get to the little building on the edge. 4 spaces u say? thats a full SOK. Repeat this scenario several times over for larger cities and ull be able to fit in whole event buildings because road waste is a big thing. imagine thinking u didnt have enough space to fit in the next new event building like the hippodrome, but u never knew u actually could because u cant see little holes in your city

My issue isnt that they are hiding on the day to day because nothing requires u to see them. But when it comes to city planning for a new event building that comes out, moving up an age where nearly all building dimensions change, or you have come across a few expansions and altered your city shape slightly, the jigsaw work of fitting different sizes of buildings together while using as few roads as possible can become difficult. Being able to see what you are doing definitely helps

Darkclaw

Private
Exceptional idea, was used to it before on the other planning site, allowed me 2 fill any missing spaces and clearly a better perspective given i am planning to maximize the space, rather than seeing the vertical extent of a building(which is pointless), would love to have it back.

Agent327

Overlord
A lot of these thread u replied which i cant seem to open due to "file not found" (that pertains to the middle 4)
Also, a lot of the threads are very old (the first one u sent from 2013) and i think the topic could use a refresh on perceptive which I indicated with larger event buildings. Up until 2 years ago, the best cities had many many SOK's which are decent buildings, but are small and not an issue to work around. The issue will continue to get worse as buildings get larger.

Very old, forwarded to the devs and nothing happened.

With 25 language servers and 25 forums, how many times do you think something like this has been proposed? Yet still nothing happened. Shouldn't that give you an idea on it's value?

File not found.

Galladhorn

Monarch
The best version of it was the older version of the 3rd party "City Builder". One could even construct in that mode – in fact it is quite unbelievable that this has not been implemented yet, and then again maybe not. But one should think that a flat field 2D view with names on, should be manageble to load, and the coding behind it would essentially be about the same core as the already implemented construction mode, and it does not make the game easier as such, if you do nto already know how to place buildings to get the best out of the sapace then it does not matter – it could though radd a really nice view, that many would like.

Cuthwolf

Captain
There will never be a rotate feature to show different angles. The buildings are drawn to look 3-d but are 2-d from one angle. It would be a monumental task to draw sides and backs for all the buildings.

DeletedUser653

There will never be a rotate feature to show different angles. The buildings are drawn to look 3-d but are 2-d from one angle. It would be a monumental task to draw sides and backs for all the buildings.
2D view can be a simple colour code, no ones asking for real top down view of buildings