• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Journal Competition

• Thread starter Archangel Snail
  • Start date

DeletedUser

Hello Kings and Queens,

In celebration of the new Journal section we will have another premium competition where
players can win some diamonds. The rules are very simple. The mod team will read all the
journals for 2 weeks, and then conclude on who has the best and most meaningful posts in their
Journal thread. So draw your pen, grab some fresh ink, and start using the Journal thread to
link your forum presence and Ingame activity together.

Journal topic inspiration:
Player journal topic examples: post victory stats, post progress, post weekly activity
Guild journal topic examples (Post new members, post major victories, post guild public announcements)

Diamond Prizes:
Best Player journal: 300 Diamonds
Best Guild journal: 300 Diamonds for the writer, and 10 diamonds for each person in the guild
Random Participation Prize: 100 diamonds (a random writer will receive 100)

Competition Guidelines:
Please remember that humor and spam are not the same thing. Spam will be deleted.
The quantity is not as important as the quality. (2 valuable posts in 2 weeks is worth more then 200 posts in 1 day)
Be creative, The topic examples above are only guidelines.
  • Only one Journal per person
  • Only one Guild journal please (Select a guild journal editor and have one thread administered by one individual, not 5)
The rules may change during the course of the competition

The Journals will be observed from October 1st 2012 till the 15th of October 2012. The winners
will then be announced on October 17th.

Links:
Journal section overview
Player journals
Guild journals

I wish all participants good luck, and hope to read interesting, funny and honest journal entries.

Sincerely,
Forge of Empires Team

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser3157

This is sure interesting...But after checking out the current 6 or smth player journals, I'm not too sure I actually understand what a journal really is. I mean after reading this post by Archangel Snail:
Hello players and Forum Goers,

This section is reserved for player journals. Only the thread creators can post in the threads below. Please go to Journal Responses to leave comments about the journal entries.

Player Journal Topic examples:

post victory stats
post progression
post village expansion
post weekly activity

Please go to the "How to use the journal section" thread for more information

I was like "cool, it's a place where people can write how much they kick ass and pwn in FoE to boost their egos - this could get interesting", but after reading current threads it is all full of some kind of fan fiction medival fantasy something. But yeah I had no idea what a journal would be in a game like this :P

DeletedUser

You're absolutely right hint. Your idea of what a journal was is correct too.
Perhaps people read Mutzena and Surge's journals and thought that that was the way it was supposed to be done, but that's completely personal.

- L

DeletedUser276

I might draw up a fake Journal for an example. When I played as a player on Grepolis I was reknown everywhere for my pnp threads (politics and propiganda)

Essentially you can do Journals one of a few ways.

1. Write it like a newspaper article. (your wins and losses against x enemy or y allince)
2. Write it like a diary (seems most are doing it this way)
3. Make fun of your enemies... Oh you got two spearmen defending your city... the horde of archers or heavy troops just walks through them and the most damage done is the cleaning of guts and blood off the bottom of our troops boots.

At least thats what I gained out of journals. ;)

Surge

Brigadier-General
I was like "cool, it's a place where people can write how much they kick ass and pwn in FoE to boost their egos - this could get interesting", but after reading current threads it is all full of some kind of fan fiction medival fantasy something. But yeah I had no idea what a journal would be in a game like this :P

Correction: There isn't a single fantasy journal. Yes, I am writing one myself, but I do plan on putting a part of my own past progressions and problems. In fact, it's exactly what I faced, however I just molded in it a story behind it, as if I am having real conflicts as a King. If all else, after the contest, I can start a new world and make a journal from start to finish. But I respect your decision. But there's no fantasy at all (other than Alchemy) ;)

DeletedUser

This is sure interesting...But after checking out the current 6 or smth player journals, I'm not too sure I actually understand what a journal really is.... I was like "cool, it's a place where people can write how much they kick ass and pwn in FoE to boost their egos - this could get interesting", but after reading current threads it is all full of some kind of fan fiction medival fantasy something.

I've tried to write a 'how much I kick ass and pwn in FoE" journal, but thought I'd dress it up using language that felt more 'in-game'.

My journal is all 'real', as in if you look behind the comedy and fun bits it is just a list of what I'm up to, what challenges I'm facing and how the game is going for me. I just added a few frilly shiny bits to try and make it more interesting to read than "unlocked 2 expansions, won 3 battles, blah blah blah".

McT has gone for a different approach, maybe have a read of his version?

Good luck!
Marakasi

DeletedUser

Since this is also a competition this month, I suspect players are trying to make their entries as interesting as possible, rather than a simple list of their activities.

Blacksmith has given some good examples on how you can also write your Journal, in addition to some examples mentioned in the "How to use the Journal Section" thread.
So basically you can do it however you want, as long as it's interesting enough for the managers to reward you diamonds for it. ;)

- L

Surge

Brigadier-General
Since this is also a competition this month, I suspect players are trying to make their entries as interesting as possible, rather than a simple list of their activities.

Exactly as I said. If I just wrote "Today I researched the mystery of gunpowder and it's use in cannons. I then proceeded to placing down an Academy, and attacked 4 other people with spearfighters in their army" that's just not interesting. I am actually much more interested in reading what someone called "fan fiction" than just a checklist of what was done, as long as it is done realistically (I wish I had a gun; we know how to build tanks; nothing of the future stuff) and in an interesting manner. And qualifies if it bonds with what happens in the game (We were building some catapults; we started observing the Stars using new optics on "tellyscopes" [deliberate mistype, people made mistakes when techs were first made]).

Honestly, its a good things. Just please not fantasy. We don't have dragons breathing rainbows attacking a city.:p

DeletedUser6899

Florge Of empires combines a unique sustem of battle and trade with optional pvp involved good job

DeletedUser

Just please not fantasy. We don't have dragons breathing rainbows attacking a city.:p

The cannon fire rained down on the city. From a distance it looked like mighty dragons breathing fire, the colors of the explosions looked as a rainbow, but at the end of this rainbow there was no pot of gold. Just death and destruction.

I think that would work surge

Surge

Brigadier-General
The cannon fire rained down on the city. From a distance it looked like mighty dragons breathing fire, the colors of the explosions looked as a rainbow, but at the end of this rainbow there was no pot of gold. Just death and destruction.

I think that would work surge

Uhh... It sounds weird... do you happen to be on drugs by any chance? :p jk

But I am not sure. Mentioning dragons is fantasy enough. Maybe it isn't. Don't mind me, I am just thinking aloud.

It is creative, though. I'll give you that.

DeletedUser

Great competition... I hope people keep the journals going, it's been fun reading them while builds complete and units heal :)

DeletedUser

The quantity is not as important as the quality. (2 valuable posts in 2 weeks is worth more then 200 posts in 1 day)

Obvious lie is obvious.

DeletedUser

Obvious lie is obvious.
kepler2 +1

Though the results have been announced and there is no point in disagreeing.
+ keplers blog attracted my attention much more then the winning guild which simply smashed a wall of information from day 1 into my face.

P.S. Personally i won't spend any more time in these competitions.