• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Introduce Natural Disasters into gameplay -

Should Natural Disasters be introduce into the game for those who choose this option

• Yes

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • Not sure

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

DeletedUser114342

Proposal: *This proposal has been edited from its original post.*
I think it would be interesting to see IG introduce Natural Disasters into the game as an optional setting for those who are looking for an additional challenge.

Have you Checked the Ideas section for the same idea posted by someone else? Is this idea similar to one that has been previously suggested?
Yes, and there are no other similar ideas that I could find.

Reason:
FOE is a great city building game. However, the only obstacle at the moment is by someone plundering you. Which overall is a minor inconvenience and can be easily prevented. IG has included impediments in the settlements to try and keep it challenging so I propose they take it further and introduce natural disasters into the normal cities.
When a natural disaster hits, it has the power to decimate a city no matter how strong. Some cities, such as Pompeii had to be abandoned. While others like New Orleans went into anarchy and I'm sure some like Christchurch is still rebuilding parts of the city.

Details:
I propose that a natural disaster has a 1% chance of striking your city daily. When a natural disaster strikes your city is rendered vulnerable and city shields are useless until the "city repair kit/fund" has been filled by your guild, friends and hoodies. The severity of the natural disaster comes in 5 different categories with category 5 being the highest and also requiring the largest city repair kit. If a natural disaster was to hit your city, you will get sent a prior warning.

The chances of the different categories and what is available for plunder are:

Category 1: 40% chance. Normal items + SOKs

Category 2: 33% chance. Same as category 1

Category 3: 18% chance. Now includes all special buildings

Category 4: 8% chance. Now includes no age buildings

Category 5: 1% chance. Now includes GBs
Please note that this is a 1% chance of a 1% chance of this occurring.

The different repair kits are:
Category 1 repair kit: needs 10 people to donate coins (depends on the era of the person who donates. So a person in BA will donate 100 coins, while a person in EMA 200, etc.)*
Category 2 repair kit: needs 20 people to donate (10 x coins; 10 x supplies)
Category 3 repair kit: needs 30 people to donate (10 x coins; 10 x supplies; 10 x goods of their era or below)
Category 4 repair kit: needs 40 people to donate (10 x coins, 10 x supplies; 10 x goods of their era or below; 10 x medals)
Category 5 repair kit: needs 50 people to donate (10 x coins; 10 x supplies; 10 x goods of their era or below; 10 x medals; 10 x tavern silver).

* The amount of supplies, goods. medals and tavern silver also depends on what era you are in.

Everything goes back to normal once your city repair kit is filled.

Your neighbours, guildies and friends have a chance to either hinder** you or help you. They can hinder you by plundering your defenseless city or help you be contributing to your city repair kit. The faster the repair kit is filled the faster your city goes back to normal.

**Please note, if one of your friends or guildies does plunder you, you get a 24hr window to attack and plunder them back even if they have left the guild or de-friended you after.

For those who opt for this option, your guild will receive the same amount of crowns as a HoF for your era. This will be paid through your town hall.

You will get the following compensation*** once your city has "survived" the natural disaster.

Category 1:
The same as the researchers chest (the equivalent to the one offered in the DC with the same probabilities).

Category 2:
30 fp @ 25%
10 x rogues @ 25%
200 goods @ 25%
50 diamonds @ 25%

Category 3:
50 fp @ 50%
200 goods @ 30%
100 diamonds @ 20%

Category 4:
100 fp @ 50%
500 goods @ 30%
200 diamonds @ 20%

Category 5:
1000 diamonds @ 50%
1 full expansion @ 50%

***The compensation items were something that I had input with. Yes I understand that diamonds are not to be suggested as easily given away, but in this case, I don't think it is easy to get the diamonds. Also that Inno will most likely not give out expansions. However, what is proposed here is a best case scenario. I am aware that people do not like risking their GBs for plundering, so the compensation has to equal the risk. I see the compensation aspect of this proposal is similar to an insurance payout if a natural disaster did happen.

Visual Aids:

Balance:
It gives people a chance to help or hinder.

Abuse Prevention:
City repair kit.
Collect on time
Ability to retaliate if one of your allies plunders you

Summary:
I think introducing natural disasters into the game will give people a chance to see who their friends are and who are their foe. The reason why I included friends and guildies as being able to plunder a city struck by natural disasters is to see how people will react in such a situation. Will they actually help you or will they take advantage of you especially since they are supposedly meant to be your allies. As natural disasters will at most only occur a few times a year it should not be detrimental to the overall strategy, but it maybe help encourage people to form strong friendships so when it does strike you can depend on them to get your city back to normal asap.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I think this idea is worked out so well and in all details and makes with that an excellent example on how an idea should be proposed!

As for the idea goes I sadly have to disagree and believe me I so wanted to give this a positive vote just by how well presented it is :)

Edit as is now -1 should it be optional, via a setting, an absolute full blown +1

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser114342

I think this idea is worked out so well and in all details and makes with that an excellent example on how an idea should be proposed!

As for the idea goes I sadly have to disagree and believe me I so wanted to give this a positive vote just by how well presented it is :)

Edit as is now -1 should it be optional, via a setting, an absolute full blown +1

Thanks @Chalinna. This is just my initial thoughts so yes if you can help me make it better most welcome too.

If people want to have it optional then yes I can change that.

It was just a thought I had that wouldn’t go away.

DeletedUser116830

By the way, adding a poll could help with this. Some people only vote and not post:)
Just a suggestion:)

DeletedUser114342

NO - You can decimate your city if you wish - Just keep demolishing & re-building your stuff - Try it with your GB's That'll be loads of fun!

Thanks for your response. To be honest yours is the kind I was expecting. The fact that I got a few positives is more than I expected.

There was nothing in my proposal about decimating or taking down and rebuilding GBs coz there is really no point to that.

As this is a strategy game, I thought it would be interesting to introduce a different aspect which requires a different strategy with minimal impact to your city or none at all if you collect on time. Also, natural disasters do happen and cities do incorporate measures of what to do if one does strike.

I’m the type of person who does enjoy challenges. I like to solve problems and I like strategy games which is why I play FOE. I got bored with other games as they get pretty mindless after a while.

There is nothing mindless about this game - why would you say that - If you use yours' you'll find plenty to think about and plan for!

DeletedUser114342

PS-Please take out the GB part. If GBs were plunderable I’d quit...

Then what would you suggest would be acceptable? It has to be a bit different from what is available under normal circumstances as plundering occurs regularly. As the chance of a natural disaster is very low (1%) logically it should have more impact.

This is an idea in progress so any suggestions are welcome :)

DeletedUser114342

PS-Please take out the GB part. If GBs were plunderable I’d quit...

How do you like this addition:

Prior to a national disaster hitting your city, you get sent a warning.

The chances of the different category and what is available for plunder are:

Category 3: 18% chance. Now includes all special buildings.

Category 5: 1% chance. Now includes GBs.

Please note that the chance of a natural disaster is 1%, so the chance of getting a category 5 is 1% of 1%.

Also I re-iterate: there is no damage or re-building of anything proposed in this idea. I also want to re-emphasise that FOE is not a mindless game, it is in fact the opposite.

DeletedUser116830

How do you like this addition:

Prior to a national disaster hitting your city, you get sent a warning.

The chances of the different category and what is available for plunder are:

Category 3: 18% chance. Now includes all special buildings.

Category 5: 1% chance. Now includes GBs.

Please note that the chance of a natural disaster is 1%, so the chance of getting a category 5 is 1% of 1%.

Also I re-iterate: there is no damage or re-building of anything proposed in this idea. I also want to re-emphasise that FOE is not a mindless game, it is in fact the opposite.
That’s a good idea. A 0.01% chance of GBs being able to plunder is fine.

DeletedUser

What needs to be better defined in this idea is what 1% chance means. Is it 1% every time you log in? Every hour? Every day? When GE starts?