• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

The Best Town Forge of Empires

DeletedUser900

Hi guys,
If you see any of town with very good structure that you like, please share it here so other people can learn from that. I personally think my town is one of the best :) with the structure, the building can be easily replaced later.

Share your ideas here so we can discuss :D

BestTown.jpg

DeletedUser

actually your town is one of the most inneficient I`ve seen with too many roads occupying spaces which could be used more profitably.

DeletedUser653

actually your town is one of the most inneficient I`ve seen with too many roads occupying spaces which could be used more profitably.

ditto

Ken, can you be clearer, best looking or most efficent for game reasons?

DeletedUser900

Can you be more specific? I am currently working and can only use 8 hour houses. Supplies using farm because I am lazy to collect too many house. Without changing current building, can you help me to re-arrange ? I do not left any road unused. I also do not like minor cultural building as I want my neighbor to support my big building only.

DeletedUser

Well first thing you can do is plan your city using this simulator: http://forgestats.net/map/map.php
Second, place 3x3, 4x4 buildings on the outside and houses on the inside. Third I see you have roads on both side of some buildings which its pointless.
Ill add a picture of mine as example, you`ll see I have very few decorations but still I use every square and I try to keep the roads to a minimum
New Bitmap Image.jpg
And here`s how it looks in that simulator:
http://www.forgestats.net/map/map.php?m=a61cd452ab9d37dfbe784efa61f379a7

DeletedUser653

Wallachian - I agree with all your points.

I checked on the simulator link you gave (which looks a good tool and thanks for link) and would suggest you can improve further by having one stright road across the narrow side off from the town hall and then stright roads off this to support the following building options:
4 squares wide (2x2 buildings, houses/archers etc, I use a lot)
5 squares wide (3x3 + 2x2 options)
6 squares wide (2 x 3x3 or 4x3+2x2, good fexibilty once you start using buildings which are 4x3)
7 squares wide (4x3 and 3x3, I do not think i ever used)
8 squares wide (2 x 4x3 or 4x4, never used, but I will)

The width of the roads will change as you progress and the buildings get bigger so you need to replan a few times during the game. I am just going to replan to bring in a 8 square wide area as i have 9 4x4 buildings now! The most useful ones for me have been the 4 width and the 6 width. Take a look at my layout, playing under VFRMark in ARVAHALL, 20th on list of players or in BRISGARD under same name about 940 ish.

DeletedUser

Yes, as soon as I build a Heavy Knight building [which is 4x4] and get rid of the Knight one, plus the Imperial Guards and the Cannons due to follow I`ll have to make some changes as I`ll have to place 4 new 4 squares wide buildings. I`ll move the Town Center to the corner and see where I place the 4 square wide ones, either the upper row or the far east column where I currently keep my military buildings. But we`ll see when I get there.
Cheers for the tips.

DeletedUser

The people on the streets of hint's town must live the good life. They don't have homes, but get to wander from tavern to tavern!

DeletedUser3157

Yeah they claimed to be pretty enthusiastic about this. I actually razed DrunkTown few weeks ago on that server and started prepearing for my next and much much bigger project. It should be completed in about 4 months when I get the resources I need stocked.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser2402

it would be nice to see towns reflecting thriving communities... most of the towns seem to be the worst kind of modern day housing estates, yes they be productive in terms of industry but they lack soul and do not reflect rounded communities....

Sven

DeletedUser

i just got the game and kinda messed up my city i had to reorganize it and it looks pretty good now

DeletedUser1032

it would be nice to see towns reflecting thriving communities... most of the towns seem to be the worst kind of modern day housing estates, yes they be productive in terms of industry but they lack soul and do not reflect rounded communities...

So true. But with limited space and population requirements, it is somewhat difficult to produce a pretty-looking town without sacrificing few squares here or there.

DeletedUser653

Your right Pretty and Efficient do not go hand in hand in this game. But personally I see great things in an efficient village, there should almost be a contest to see who has the least amount of decorations/free spaces as a ratio of the number of squares. Actually i will take a look and start a post on this.

DeletedUser

Wallachian - I agree with all your points.

I checked on the simulator link you gave (which looks a good tool and thanks for link) and would suggest you can improve further by having one stright road across the narrow side off from the town hall and then stright roads off this to support the following building options:
4 squares wide (2x2 buildings, houses/archers etc, I use a lot)
5 squares wide (3x3 + 2x2 options)
6 squares wide (2 x 3x3 or 4x3+2x2, good fexibilty once you start using buildings which are 4x3)
7 squares wide (4x3 and 3x3, I do not think i ever used)
8 squares wide (2 x 4x3 or 4x4, never used, but I will)

The width of the roads will change as you progress and the buildings get bigger so you need to replan a few times during the game. I am just going to replan to bring in a 8 square wide area as i have 9 4x4 buildings now! The most useful ones for me have been the 4 width and the 6 width. Take a look at my layout, playing under VFRMark in ARVAHALL, 20th on list of players or in BRISGARD under same name about 940 ish.

Thx for the beautiful resources. The simulator rocks!
Wallachian, can you also post a link for the simulation of your best town?

DeletedUser

DeletedUser653

ending lanes with a decoration is good because you do not need a raod for the last square and maybe even the last 3 squares depending on which building you are lining to at the end. hence you may as well use that wasted space for a decoration andget the happiness points.

Your city is not good because there are too many builds with roads across more then one side, 90% of your houses should only touch a road one side, have a look at mine. Far left is under construction due to Colonial buildings coming in, but the roads are much better organised and all should be straight for as long as possible.
VFRMarks Village Arvahall.jpg

DeletedUser

Thx guys, I've just started (still in bronze age!) and your sims saved me a lot of time... and resources!

That's pretty organized, but imo not optimally efficient, because nearly all of your big buildings have 3 tiles of road on them and your lanes end with a decoration.

This is mine.
http://www.forgestats.net/map/map.php?m=ec6e233fb5fc75bd3bd2949f0f04b582

- L

This tip is pure gold, it didnt even occur to me to minimize conciding points between roads and buildings, it sort of feels natural to build roads so to form blocks, like city planning. One question though. I dont know wheter you guys are in different eras with your towns, so i'm comparing apples with oranges, but Wallachian's city is more productive and has more points (at least according to the simulator) eventhough it has more road. Am I missing something?