• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Attacking and defending

DeletedUser

Been trying to navigate the rest of the forums, however there does not seem to be a great deal of accurate info.

If I fill the defensive army up do these units defend the city in the event of an attack? Can they die?

And how do you decide what to defend with? Since you have no idea when an attack is coming are you supposed to just choose various units randomly? There doesn't appear to be any way of having a strategy. Is the idea to just guess?

This concept seems to simply leave the game in a "the strongest player wins the battle". So I'm not sure how a lesser or smaller player is ever meant to gain ground on a larger player? If you have the lead it would appear to me that you will always have the lead. You'll win all the medals, expand quicker....

I'm not sure I am fully understanding the concept of how this game is supposed to be challenging as anything other than a Sim?

I keep seeing the term PvP also, however to the best of my knowledge you never actually control your units during defensive battles. So how is there any PvP at all. Everything is player versus computer. Unless I am mistaken, or there is something wrong with my neighborhood or this world.

If this is all there is to this game I will be very dissappointed. Tribal Wars was at least challenging and tactical.

DeletedUser

If I fill the defensive army up do these units defend the city in the event of an attack? Can they die?

They will defend but do not die. This game is not meant to have a very harsh PvP component.

Is the idea to just guess?

The idea is to put in a good defense to deter attacks against you.

This concept seems to simply leave the game in a "the strongest player wins the battle". So I'm not sure how a lesser or smaller player is ever meant to gain ground on a larger player?

Combat is only one part of the game. Being active in research, collection of resources and production/trade of goods means just as much, if not more.

If you have the lead it would appear to me that you will always have the lead. You'll win all the medals, expand quicker....

Eventually you will lose interest in the low tower tournaments, leaving them to other players. And as I said, expansion and progression are not based on combat a lot.

I'm not sure I am fully understanding the concept of how this game is supposed to be challenging as anything other than a Sim?

It is mainly a Sim/Collection game with lots of other elements thrown in for fun.

If this is all there is to this game I will be very dissappointed. Tribal Wars was at least challenging and tactical.

You are comparing apples to oranges - if you want to play Tribal Wars, go ahead, we'll be happy as well (I would be happy if you joined a World with the Secrets of Power option as I designed that). This game is not meant to replace Tribal Wars, it's meant to be its own game.

Regards,

Anwar

DeletedUser1081

thanks very much for all that, Anwar!

and hepps, please check out the Game Discussion and Guides sections of the forum - All of your questions are explained/discussed there. here are a few relevant links to start you off:

http://forum.en.forgeofempires.com/showthread.php?4022-Best-defense
http://forum.en.forgeofempires.com/showthread.php?2904-PVP-Help
http://forum.en.forgeofempires.com/showthread.php?2236-Guide-to-Forge-of-Empires

but the search gizmo is also a good way to locate relevant threads.

have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

The design of the game is phenomenal. The Graphics are outstanding and the development aspect are superb as well.

The "in City" aspects of play are exceptional. I commend you all on a very polished and visually stunning game.

It just seems like with all the effort put into creating battle fields that it would be a more interactive affair.

Hopefully in time I will have a neighborhood with more than 2 active players. That might make things a wee bit more interesting.

DeletedUser1081

Combat is only one part of the game. Being active in research, collection of resources and production/trade of goods means just as much, if not more.

Eventually you will lose interest in the low tower tournaments, leaving them to other players. And as I said, expansion and progression are not based on combat a lot.

It is mainly a Sim/Collection game with lots of other elements thrown in for fun.

You are comparing apples to oranges - if you want to play Tribal Wars, go ahead, we'll be happy as well (I would be happy if you joined a World with the Secrets of Power option as I designed that). This game is not meant to replace Tribal Wars, it's meant to be its own game.

Regards,

Anwar

I sure miss the fun and unusual game Anwar's describing there.
I sure miss Anwar coming around the forums to clarify stuff too.