• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Forwarded: Memoryleak under Flash with most browsers

DeletedUser

After about 3 hours of only looting coins and supplies. No visits, no map, no tech tree, just looting.
After a refresh, it's back down to "only" 600k (big city here with about 20 alchemists and 50 estate houses).
99i5js.png

DeletedUser17

The game can be very resource heavy at times. We will try to optimize this issue in the future. This will be an ongoing process. I will set this issue to reported. Thanks for your posts everyone.

DeletedUser

I've noticed that as my city has developed, this has progressively gotten worse. After an hour or 2 of just leaving the game open and occasionally gathering supplies/loot; my memory usage is up to 1.3 Gb.

I have to regularly close my browser and end the process in task manager, to get it to back to normal. Makes the game lag like hell.

DeletedUser

All this tech talk is getting me hot~!

Finally, some people with ideas for technical improvements who know what they are talking about - 'cause this game is getting really buggy...
It's so bad, that I have come to accept that I have to reload the page at regular intervals or my city has lost it's enthusiasm and the moons are still bouncing over productive (not Idle) barracks, and I have a new Friend or a new member to the guild who I cannot see. I can understand that there IS an incredible amount of data, and most of it seems to be handled well, such as when you collect Goods and they immediately show in your Townhall, or when you finish a battle and your rankings show up almost immediately. (Ahem, except now I am having trouble with the Goods collections showing up on Houndsmoor.) The site needs constant reloading.

DeletedUser

lol, bear in mind this thread originated from last april. and it's still not fixed. :\

DeletedUser10135

I often end up with Chrome with FOE using 1 GB RAM but I attack a lot in manual mode and this action is more consuming that just sitting and watching your people walking your streets...

A solution : log out from time to time, clean everything with Ccleaner and log in back.

DeletedUser

I went to Chrome but it is being extremely laggy and crashing often.
I moved back to Firefox about a week ago and I can practically run the game all day with only 1 or 2 refreshes (if even that).

As for this not being 'fixed' yet:
The game can be very resource heavy at times. We will try to optimize this issue in the future. This will be an ongoing process. I will set this issue to reported. Thanks for your posts everyone.

Remember this is a Beta and Blacksmith has announced a lot of new stuff is coming, so things need to stay in the scaffolds, which causes things to be slow.
"That old excuse again, how long is this game going to stay in Beta?"
Blacksmith also posted a long while ago that INNOgames' games usually stay in beta for about a year.

With a project as big as this, it might be a bit longer, since major game changing features are still coming.
How'd it look if this game was announced officially released, while still making game changing features and having numerous bugs that have to be tended to?
It can't be taken out of beta before it's out of beta..

- L

DeletedUser

Well I'm glad I've found a reason for mine to cack out all the time. I'm using IE9 on a core I7 laptop with 8gb of ram, so you can understand my frustration when it "looks" like it can't handle a flashgame. Tried it in IE, Firefox and Chrome, same issue in all three.

I can't do my guild mot/pol round (bout 80 members) without having to refresh FoE 2-3 times, it is incredibly frustrating. Sometimes it even makes me have to reinstall flash player altogether where I have to close everything using flash, annoying!

I reckon this issue should be on top of your to-fix list, as you'll lose so many players who have older computers and get it even worse. I know I'll quit it if it's not fixed soon, just saying.

DeletedUser

I would like to precede this statement by acknowledging that I am no computer expert and not nearly as knowledgeable about this sort of thing as I'd like to be.

But after reading advice given in this thread, I switched to the 64 bit version of Firefox, called Waterfox. And it has made all the difference in the world for me. No crashes or textures disappearing, never having to reload pages despite visiting every guild member and neighbor and friend in a session. I am pretty happy with it.

Maybe trying a 64-bit browser might help you too.

DeletedUser

What about those that use IE and not firefox? Can't seem to find a 64-bit version of IE..

DeletedUser

It's not necessary to use a 64-bit version of a browser, but it may help reduce the crashes.
However, I personally would advise to use anything but IE. And that advice is given for practical reasons in relation to this game specifically.
For some IE is working good enough (when using the latest versions), but you'll get the least issues when using Firefox, Opera or Chrome.

- L

DeletedUser7719

I like IE better than Chrome since chrome uses the same flash on all tabs (so if one screen crashes, all screens crashes :()

DeletedUser

Some in this thread claim that the problem is a Firefox issue. I just updated to Firefox 19.0 and have not yet had a flash crash (since the update I mean as I used to get plenty of them on Firefox and on Chrome). Maybe they are right. Or maybe there is some other explanation. I hope I did not jinx myself by suggesting the problem may be over.

Rats. I just got another flash crash. It seems to happen when a production building gets motivated at the same time I am mot pol someone else's building.

EDIT: If they ever get this game to run fast with no flash crashes then this is going to be an AWESOME game but until then it is like the Autobahn with speed bumps.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Rats. I just got another flash crash. It seems to happen when a production building gets motivated at the same time I am mot pol someone else's building.

Ya same with me the crashes seem to happen when i motivate people and someone motivates me at the same time!

DeletedUser

I can confirm with Chrome Version 25.0.1364.97 m.

After logging, the game tab used 223k of memory with no variations. After visiting a guild member for the:
First time, it jumped to 448k.
Second time - 613k.
Third time - 819k
Fourth - 882k.

Its up to 1.1GB and I suspect that if will continue...

DeletedUser9070

I can confirm with Chrome Version 25.0.1364.97 m.

After logging, the game tab used 223k of memory with no variations. After visiting a guild member for the:
First time, it jumped to 448k.
Second time - 613k.
Third time - 819k
Fourth - 882k.

Its up to 1.1GB and I suspect that if will continue...

Thats the real problem of the game and its not the browser at fault but the adobe flash coding, whether it is adobe themselves or FoE devs, there's a problem with caching and some browsers handle it better than others but in the end if you don't have over 8gb of rams you'll be getting alot of crashes or at least big performance drops every 30~ visits.

There shouldn't need to retain cache in virtual memory for every single towns you visit, I suspect there's alot of cached redundancies, afterall all cities share the same textures all that differs is the layout. There should be an option to save game textures locally, server can replace these files whenever they are updated. Flash allows such data to be saved, why not use it?

This doesn't affect players that don't visit many cities per login, but if you are going to visit many as to polish and motivate (like most top guilds do) then you are going to have problems all the time until they fix this.
Ive only got 4gb of ram and I P/M everyday on 5 worlds, I can only reach half the guild before I crash as plugin-container / chrome has reached virtual memory limit for adobe flash to handle (3.2gb+ allocated by then).

DeletedUser

Thats the real problem of the game and its not the browser at fault but the adobe flash coding, whether it is adobe themselves or FoE devs, there's a problem with caching and some browsers handle it better than others
I agree, different browsers have different strategies to deal with caching, but none of them covers memory leaks especially this big. This flash app surpass most heavy duty apps and iirc games.

There shouldn't need to retain cache in virtual memory for every single towns you visit, I suspect there's alot of cached redundancies, afterall all cities share the same textures all that differs is the layout. There should be an option to save game textures locally, server can replace these files whenever they are updated. Flash allows such data to be saved, why not use it?
There might be several issues here. I noticed that entering the same town also brings up the mem use, not as drastic as visiting another town but still in the four digits range.

DeletedUser

This memory leak would explain why my 4GB PC with IE9 also has Flash crash out (blank page with "!") consistently after about 30 visits to other cities, during polish/motivate runs. This has been happening for a long time. Rather annoying having to reload all the time. Many thanks to the OP re screenshots of the memory usage.

DeletedUser

I think some thing change, i make many visit today and flash not crash, CPU max 17% and RAM max 921.720 k (was 1.7GB before).... what you do!?

edit
my post not corect, when settings animations in other towns is aktiv, game crash at about 1.4 gb. so is only setting that help little bit.
sorry for disturb :)