• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

[DISCUSSION] Foe City Planner

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser110179

Added new entities and more GB levels.
You have done a great thing ... no doubt it'll become even more popular with the EN expansion of 2 new worlds (Parkog and Rugnir)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser109674

For site like this, and 11k/monthly/visit, you don't need more than 1CPU/1Gram... On https://www.digitalocean.com/pricing/ this is 5$/month.
But lets say you need 2CPU/4Gram (which t2.medium is), that is 20$/month, which is 240$/year. Compared to $1924....

1) If I understood correctly what DigitalOcean is actually selling, is that it provides just raw server power, without OS. This means, that 20 dollars per month effectively become more because I need licensed Windows.
2) I was talking about 11000 unique users, not visits per month. Each user visits few times, and there are a lot of communication between client and server during one session.
3) You compared the price just for one piece of the system with the price for the whole system. There is also CDN, database etc.
4) You forgot to include the cost of moving to completely different cloud/server provider.
5) What I am trying to achieve is to have a good server, which works fast, thus happy users. That price is not for the very minimum server. I will look how much will I collect, and then act accordingly. So far, the next month is probably safe, but the whole future is still unclear. It will be safe when I can pay for 1 year.

So, just to be clear, at the moment, I am really not considering moving away from AWS, even if somebody are posting lower prices for some different providers. Reality is a bit different than checking those prices in the internet, because typically system involves multiple part. Maybe I will move to Azure at some point, but so far, I do not have time to do it. With AWS at the moment, everything I need is just to pay them money, and to scale the system when required.

DeletedUser12146

1) That is not true. digitalocean, transip, linode, aws, etc etc: they all sell same: cpu/ram/disk for $ per minute (or monthly). Like aws, you just select instance and predefined OS (if they don't have it, you can use your own OS).
2) Nice, but still nothing what simple instance can't handle.
3) For this kind of app, you could be running cdn, db, etc all on one instance.
4) Something new to learn :)

Don't get me wrong, I was just suggesting to lower your cost. We would all like to have "lower speed" than no website at all...
Keep on the good work.

DeletedUser109674

1) That is not true. digitalocean, transip, linode, aws, etc etc: they all sell same: cpu/ram/disk for $ per minute (or monthly). Like aws, you just select instance and predefined OS (if they don't have it, you can use your own OS).
I am not sure if DigitalOcean has any kind of preinstalled windows server. however, my point was that you specified "raw" machine, and compared that price with the price of the machine with the windows server (let's forget about the whole system for the second)

2) Nice, but still nothing what simple instance can't handle.
I just don't want to argue here, because 1) I do not know your level of expertise in server management, 2) you do not know the load of City planner on all cloud infrastructure. 3) you do not know my level of expertise in server management

3) For this kind of app, you could be running cdn, db, etc all on one instance.
Totally agree. But somehow, you did not mention about drawbacks, like lower speed and more complex system management,

4) Something new to learn :)
Not sure how this answer the question about including cost of movement to another server. Maybe your list is not equals to mine, than sorry.

Don't get me wrong, I was just suggesting to lower your cost. We would all like to have "lower speed" than no website at all...
Keep on the good work.
I am not. I am just trying to explain, that in real life it's not that simple. I appreciate help, but so far, I already made a decision with a server and not going to change it, because again, this requires time. So, guys, please, just don't post some links to some other hosting. I will not be checking them.
And just to repeat myself. What I am trying to achieve is to have a good server, which works fast, thus happy users. That price is not for the very minimum server. I will look how much will I collect, and then act accordingly. So far, the next month is probably safe, but the whole future is still unclear. It will be safe when I can pay for 1 year. I put a lot of time and efforts into the project. I will try to keep it live, just believe me.

To conclude. Do not forget, that you have got this tool for free, you have been using it for 2 years for free, and what is more important you WILL be using it for free. There is NO plans to charge for using. Currently, I am asking for help. That's it. I really do not think that it's financially hard even for single month audience of the website to collect required funds (and I am not talking about total amount of users). That's just $1 from 20% of users. Annually. If somebody want, they will help, if somebody do not want or cannot - it's also absolutely OK. I love all my users :lol:

Emberguard

Legend
5) What I am trying to achieve is to have a good server, which works fast, thus happy users. That price is not for the very minimum server. I will look how much will I collect, and then act accordingly. So far, the next month is probably safe, but the whole future is still unclear. It will be safe when I can pay for 1 year

To add onto this, servers that are capable of the load are a necessity not a want. I work in the hospitality industry and the restaurant I work at for a period of time found the orders at first stopped matching what the customers said they ordered. Then after a while the price was no longer matching the orders that were coming through.

What we ended up finding out months after the problem had started was that the servers were simply timing out. Which is why the order would come to one amount, paypal would take a different amount, and the amount for the food that came through would be a totally different amount.

If you can afford a good server it'll be worth it. Otherwise you may find the program simply stops working in any meaningful manner

DeletedUser109674

Just released v 0.9.26:
- you can place building outside the edges of main map. This will be helpful when you do not have much space to move buildings around.

DeletedUser109674

v. 0.9.27 released:
- added security to City planner and the whole website. Now, everything is working over HTTPS.

DeletedUser109674

- added Virtual Future era
- added new servers
- added new entities and more GB levels

DeletedUser109674

For those, who also play Elvenar - I have just released alpha version of Elven City Planner. More details here.

DeletedUser109674

Some browsers started to ask for Flash activation each time you open the page with City Planner. To disable this annoying "feature":

Chrome: go to chrome://flags and disable #enable-ephemeral-flash-permission. Just copy following text and paste it into browser's address bar to go directly to that flag chrome://flags/#enable-ephemeral-flash-permission

DeletedUser112892

Is there any problem with FoE City Planner? When I try to log in with correct e-mail and password, the message "Username or password is incorrect" pops up all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.