• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Please let us have in-game nickname

• Thread starter DeletedUser111576
  • Start date

Do you support this Idea

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

DeletedUser111576

I have searched the forum and I only found a thread in which they stated we can’t change our username. Tthat’s ok if we can’t change the username but I don’t see why can’t we have a nickname or screen name to be displayed when someone tap on our avatar.

We all choose our username differently than a name in a game we wanted to be presented with. My username maybe meaningless or abbreviation, however my name in a game is meaningful

Hope you consider this option.

Thanks so much

DeletedUser111866

+1
I believe those that enter as guests will want to eventually be named as them and not some Someone the Stupid SomeNumbers.

DeletedUser107476

+1
I believe those that enter as guests will want to eventually be named as them and not some Someone the Stupid SomeNumbers.
Guests can have their name changed same as anyone whose name was randomly generated. Players who have used their whole real name or email as a username, can also have their name changed.

DeletedUser

+1

That's where a lot of web services are going. User ID remains the same forever, user nickname can change at will.

Vesiger

Monarch
+1
It seems a bit hard for people to be stuck for years with something they thought up on the spur of the moment when they just wanted to try out the game...

Emberguard

Legend
Few things.

1. Have a way to view both the Username and the Nickname. (Profile perhaps? On Desktop while the mouse is hovering over wherever just the Nickname is shown could perhaps change from Nickname to Username)

Reason: There are some people that cause trouble, either through disobeying guild rules repeatedly or just plain being jerks. Being able to clearly identify someone is important both for making it easier when filing reports involving other players to the game moderators, and resolving disputes with another player on a personal level depending on the situation or just keeping track of how often a guild rule is being broken by the same player.

2. Time limit on changing Nicknames. So people aren't constantly changing identity, a timer of say - 6 months - would prevent players from hopping from name to name. This would also prevent abuse. It'll help stop players from being toxic or unfair deliberately if they're doing it knowing they can change both avatar and name appearing to be a completely different person 5 mins later, and then again another 5 mins so on and so forth.

+1

DeletedUser105078

+1 provided the first name we see is the username, and the nickname only appears if we tap on the avatar. This just to avoid abuse.

Note that you can already ask support to change your username if you have a valid reason:

Unfortunately, players cannot change their own ingame names currently.

However, if you have accidentally used your own name, or your email address, or maybe even an abusive or offensive name, please don't hesitate to contact support by sending a ticket: right-click anywhere on your city screen, choose support from the pop-up window and proceed from there. To avoid delay, please add a choice of three names to what you would like it changed to.
We will look into it then and if necessary, shall try to change it. :)

Many players choose their names pretty randomly when they're just trying the game out, and later regret their choice. Maybe when players progress to Bronze Age they could be given the choice to change their username. That would work for new players, although it wouldn't solve the problem for older players who simply want a more meaningful name. I doubt support would change a username just to make it more meaningful, though it would be nice if they could!

DeletedUser

+1 provided the first name we see is the username, and the nickname only appears if we tap on the avatar. This just to avoid abuse.

That would kind of defeat the purpose of the nickname, wouldn't it?

Honestly, I can hardly see how this could be abused. I'd appreciate it if you could enlighten me.

DeletedUser105078

That would kind of defeat the purpose of the nickname, wouldn't it?

Honestly, I can hardly see how this could be abused. I'd appreciate it if you could enlighten me.

Just the reasons given above by Emberguard.

The original proposal said:

I don’t see why can’t we have a nickname or screen name to be displayed when someone tap on our avatar.

...so that's why I said about the username being displayed first, and the nickname appearing when you tap on somebody's avatar.

Changing the name people identify us with could be a tricky business, especially if we can do it whenever we like.

For example, people could break guild rules and then change their name; it could make it difficult for guild leaders to maintain some sort of consistency in a guild. Or a player could give a guild a hard time, get kicked out, and then re-apply with a different name.

We had one person change his name in our guild, and it took me a bit of detective work to figure out who he was, lol. If everybody kept changing their names, it could get pretty chaotic!

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Well, you can set a time period during which a player has to stick with their nickname, so that would take care of people keeping changing their nicknames.

Regarding identifying people after a name change, if you did it like an avatar change, that is, after the change all messages, social interactions, et al. appear with the new nickname, regardless of whether they happened before the nickname change or not, then it wouldn't be much of a trouble to identify players.

That being said, I do agree that an easy way to find out a specific player's username must be set. But I think that if what other players see first is the username, rather than the nickname, it is not worth the trouble, as everybody would ignore other players' nicknames.

DeletedUser105078

I see your point. Maybe the nickname should appear first, and then you can see the username by clicking on the avatar. Definitely there should be a time limit on the adoption of nicknames. In fact, I wonder if it's necessary to change nickname more than once? The main problem is the randomness of names picked when one is just trying out the game, and unfortunately that is the username that we're stuck with. But once we've had time to give it proper thought, why would we need to keep changing our nickname?

Regarding identifying people after a name change, if you did it like an avatar change, that is, after the change all messages, social interactions, et al. appear with the new nickname, regardless of whether they happened before the nickname change or not, then it wouldn't be much of a trouble to identify players.

That's the way it works at the moment, if somebody has their name changed by support, all their past messages are in the new name. But I don't think it would be so easy if you were in a large guild with, say, 60 members and several guild leaders. The occasional name change by active players who helpfully announce it to the whole guild would be no problem. But lots of name changes by members who don't even read messages - let alone write - would be a challenge. Also, say I've had to dismiss a member, how would I know it's the same person if they apply a few weeks later? Even if all his/her past messages changed to the new name, I'd need an excellent memory and I'd have to keep reading old chats to keep abreast of changing names.

One way or another, it would mean extra work for guild leaders. However, I know lots of players who're stuck with names they don't like, and I would definitely support a way for them to adopt a meaningful name or nickname, provided it is done sensibly.

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't see the need for two names. If you want to be known as something different, change your user name.

A nickname would have to be unique to both nicknames and user names, and vice-versa, so having the two would be redundant.

People should be able to change their user name, possibly with a further diamond cost and possibly restricted to a change once a year, to limit the abusers who would want to hide the bad reputation they picked up.

DeletedUser

+1

I really just wanted to test the game, but now I'm stuck with asdfasdf1234
Didn't realise that I would be so hooked on the game... :rolleyes:

PomPoms

Sergeant
+1 I would like a change from the wussy Butterfly567 that I kind of inherited from my daughter! lol I started out helping her with the city layout (she was 7) and as she drifted away from the game, I got hooked. I have no idea what I would change to though!