• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Lots of beers for the Devs

DeletedUser110327

I like to see Devs getting paid well (though I may not like the way they do things sometimes), so here's a suggestion to help them have lots of beers from what is an excellent game.

Goods buildings. A payment of 1000 diamonds increases goods for each goods building for which you have the resource by 50%.

Supplies buildings. A payment of 1000 diamonds increases output of all supplies buildings in all ages by 50%.

Cultural Buildings. A payment of 1000 diamonds increases happiness for each cultural building in all ages by 50%.

Regards

DeletedUser110327

Benefits as I see them.

Too many new players are getting stuck in the early ages with no space, insufficient happiness, not enough goods or supplies. They rush ahead into new ages thinking they're getting somewhere, get stuck, and leave the game.

Yes, they can increase goods production by building more goods buildings. Problem - they have no space, they have insufficient happiness, they have no supplies.

The diamond option. They increase goods production by 50% on a couple of goods buildings, and delete 1, freeing up space, reducing the need for supplies, and reducing demands for happiness. They're not stuck anymore, the game is fun again.

They can increase supplies production by building more production buildings. Problem - they have no space,they insufficient happiness, they have no goods. They're stuck, the game becomes boring, they leave.

The diamond option. They increase supplies production by 50% on two or three production buildings, delete a production building freeing up some space while reducing the demand for happiness. They're not stuck anymore, the game is fun again.

They can increase happiness by building more cultural buildings. Problem - they have no supplies, insufficient happiness and no space.

The diamond option. They increase happiness on 2 or 3 cultural buildings by 50%, delete decorations and perhaps a cultural building no longer needed and free up some space. They're not stuck anymore, the game is fun again.

This diamond option is aimed at new players who get themselves stuck and leave the game because they can't move. Expert players wouldn't need it necessarily, but if the option was there, they may very well use it to free up space.

DeletedUser110195

Benefits as I see them.

Too many new players are getting stuck in the early ages with no space, insufficient happiness, not enough goods or supplies. They rush ahead into new ages thinking they're getting somewhere, get stuck, and leave the game.

Yes, they can increase goods production by building more goods buildings. Problem - they have no space, they have insufficient happiness, they have no supplies.

The diamond option. They increase goods production by 50% on a couple of goods buildings, and delete 1, freeing up space, reducing the need for supplies, and reducing demands for happiness. They're not stuck anymore, the game is fun again.

They can increase supplies production by building more production buildings. Problem - they have no space,they insufficient happiness, they have no goods. They're stuck, the game becomes boring, they leave.

The diamond option. They increase supplies production by 50% on two or three production buildings, delete a production building freeing up some space while reducing the demand for happiness. They're not stuck anymore, the game is fun again.

They can increase happiness by building more cultural buildings. Problem - they have no supplies, insufficient happiness and no space.

The diamond option. They increase happiness on 2 or 3 cultural buildings by 50%, delete decorations and perhaps a cultural building no longer needed and free up some space. They're not stuck anymore, the game is fun again.

This diamond option is aimed at new players who get themselves stuck and leave the game because they can't move. Expert players wouldn't need it necessarily, but if the option was there, they may very well use it to free up space.
The only people this idea could potentially help are end game players. If you can afford 1000 diamonds for a marginal increase on output, you can afford a diamond expansion, or a premium building. -1

DeletedUser100065

for the price of 1200 diamonds you can have 4 premium expansions. That space can be used for any of the things you may need. If you can't make a city work with that land and still need to buy your way through the game there's diamond purchases and buildings. If you buy everything and are still struggling, you just suck and should probably just find a new hobby.

DeletedUser110327

Agreed. However, new players do suck, because they don't know how to play the game. They automatically assume that rushing ahead into new ages is advancing. When they get stuck, they lose interest and leave the game. That isn't good for the game, it isn't good for the Devs, and it isn't good for guilds who wind up with a ton of inactive players.

I'm thinking here about those, like me, who rushed ahead into HMA and got stuck. Yes, I sucked. So what? The only way I could get unstuck was to delete all my buildings and start again from scratch.

What we need is a solution for helping stuck new players who don't know how to play the game, who are stuck around EMA, HMA and LMA. Can you think how my ideas might be refined to help those players? Premium buildings aren't the way to go, as space is usually an issue. I used up all my diamond expansions and didn't have any left when I was stuck. What I needed was a way to increase production of existing buildings, increase goods, happiness and production, and free up some space.

Can you guys think of a solution that would also help the Devs? Losing players because they are stuck because they suck isn't good for anyone.

:)

DeletedUser110195

Agreed. However, new players do suck, because they don't know how to play the game. They automatically assume that rushing ahead into new ages is advancing. When they get stuck, they lose interest and leave the game. That isn't good for the game, it isn't good for the Devs, and it isn't good for guilds who wind up with a ton of inactive players.

I'm thinking here about those, like me, who rushed ahead into HMA and got stuck. Yes, I sucked. So what? The only way I could get unstuck was to delete all my buildings and start again from scratch.

What we need is a solution for helping stuck new players who don't know how to play the game, who are stuck around EMA, HMA and LMA. Can you think how my ideas might be refined to help those players? Premium buildings aren't the way to go, as space is usually an issue. I used up all my diamond expansions and didn't have any left when I was stuck. What I needed was a way to increase production of existing buildings, increase goods, happiness and production, and free up some space.

Can you guys think of a solution that would also help the Devs? Losing players because they are stuck because they suck isn't good for anyone.

:)
A solution already exists in the form of the friends tavern. Improve your tavern until you can have a 60% supply boost or coin boost or both(for 50 diamonds) perpetually. I haven't needed that yet but I can do that if the situation calls for it.

joesoap

Major-General
getting buildings motivated doubles their coin & supply outputs, getting cultural buildings & decs polished doubles their happiness for 12 hours...the things you are asking for already exist
if players still need more then use the treasure hunt where all these things are given free, use GE where all these things are given as rewards, use the tavern boosts
i don't think players leave because they get stuck, they are more likely leaving because at some stage they discover that they actually have to put some effort in to get everything they need & that it all takes time

DeletedUser110327

Okay, yes, your points on premium cultural buildings and production buildings and expansion are all valid, and I agree with you all. However, there are no premium buildings for goods. How about this idea is refined to only encompass goods buildings? How about a diamond expansion to goods production? How about within each goods building is diamond expansion to increase goods production by 50%? How about a diamond expansion to increase a goods building for which you don't have the resource to increase goods production from 4 per day to 10 per day.

Oh I know, that would piss off the expert players who build level 60 GBs by selling goods for forge points to noobs who are stuck.

+1

DeletedUser110195

Okay, yes, your points on premium cultural buildings and production buildings and expansion are all valid, and I agree with you all. However, there are no premium buildings for goods. How about this idea is refined to only encompass goods buildings? How about a diamond expansion to goods production? How about within each goods building is diamond expansion to increase goods production by 50%? How about a diamond expansion to increase a goods building for which you don't have the resource to increase goods production from 4 per day to 10 per day.

Oh I know, that would piss off the expert players who build level 60 GBs by selling goods for forge points to noobs who are stuck.

+1
At the end of the day, it still comes down to there being better uses of 1000 diamonds. With that, stuck or not(I don't even know how one gets stuck)you can get out of ANY hole.

DeletedUser110327

1000 diamonds was just a figure I plucked out of the air. Maybe diamonds isn't the way at all. What I'd like to see is some kind of help for noobs to get themselves unstuck, you know, players who don't know how to get unstuck because they don't know how to play the game, try to keep them in the game so they don't get frustrated and leave.

Mate, not everyone is super intelligent and most can't think ahead and plan their strategies, they just blunder into new ages, keep building, and eventually run out of everything, have no space, and can't move. Education is the key, but how do you educate them so they don't leave? I've written tutorials on this, and I've helped a few people get unstuck and moving again. I don't know if there is a solution, but I do want to help them.

DeletedUser110327

Okay, here's another idea then. To progress from EMA to HMA you must have 200 of all Bronze Age goods and Iron Age goods in your inventory. That would teach noobs how to manage goods and use the market so they don't get stuck.

DeletedUser110327

Good point rj :D If there was a monthly paid subscription version of this game with no diamonds, I'd be first in the queue. Devs need paid. No Devs, no game. Diamonds are all they have to put grub on the table and take their kids to the zoo at weekends.

Has anyone heard if there is ever going to be a monthly paid subscription version with no diamonds?

rjs66

Lieutenant
my point is that there are plenty of ways to spend diamonds already, to give yourself an edge, or to buy your way through the tech tree and continent map if you wish to
but to keep adding things to spend diamonds on to accelerate your way through the game every time you hit a bump is pointless, there is no skill in playing with a credit card, the point of the game is to think about what you are doing and make progress

you can already spend a small fortune on diamonds and go straight to Arctic future in a matter of minutes but what do you gain from it ?

by all means buy diamonds, but don't turn the game into "i've got a bigger credit card than you", because that will ruin it
Inno seem to be making quite large profits as things stand, they seem to have got the balance right

DeletedUser109385

I just want to steal all of Inno's income when I come there!:lol:

These are the very players who need to slow down, STOP SPENDING DIAMONDS and learn to get the balance right between population, happiness and supplies; and then take time on the Map to get the boosts for goods buildings.

Encouraging them to not play properly and just spend more money - way, way more than a standard game would cost - won't help them and it won't help Inno, since such people will just get angry that the game won't allow them to 'win' never mind how much money they spend. The bad reviews would increse, skilled players, many of whom spend a little each month/year, would leave the game as it turns into a 'spend more money and see your grotty village succeed' game. In short, it would spell the death of the game.

DeletedUser96901

good idea

1000 diamonds and you get a boost with 24h duration
(comparable to tavern boosts or boost crates)

DeletedUser110195

getting buildings motivated doubles their coin & supply outputs, getting cultural buildings & decs polished doubles their happiness for 12 hours...the things you are asking for already exist
if players still need more then use the treasure hunt where all these things are given free, use GE where all these things are given as rewards, use the tavern boosts
i don't think players leave because they get stuck, they are more likely leaving because at some stage they discover that they actually have to put some effort in to get everything they need & that it all takes time
I know my reply to this is 5 months late, but semi-recent alt-worlding has shed some light on this portion of his reasoning. I screwed up badly on an experimental alt city(tried seeing how life is for people who never build goods buildings, and just plunder everything they need), intended on upgrading my supplies production, failed to notice I didn't have enough to build the new and it crippled me. Its taken me a couple months to recover from that and I know how to recover from that screw up, someone new probably doesn't and could easily get discouraged. So even more, my idea to add to the tutorial by teaching brand newbie players how the tavern works, and what you can do with it, namely boost supply production, becomes even more pertinent to this ideas premise.

DeletedUser103370

I think there is a fine line if a game is a visa game or not. And I think we should avoid that at all costs. Look at erepublic, what it became, and how it was destroyed by greed. If you make every single aspect of a game payable by money, then it will lose it's meaning. Already you can buy very significant things with diamonds, how fair would it be, ie. if a newbie player after a week could get to the point, where you got in 5 years?

A very good example is the GB misery. I collect them, I love them. I keep every single one, regardless of their worth.
Now I'm in modern, and it took me almost 6 months to get the next two (those are an age higher), while I see many people in modern having arctic future GBs... :) I know I'm not a hardcore player, and of course it could have been done in somewhat shorter time, but without diamonds there is no freekin way for an ordinary player could do that, not in a lifetime :)))

Of course I'm a bit exaggerating, but you get my point, there has to be a balance between free and paying players, because you need both. Personally I think there is already too much you can buy your way through, and these are the most important aspects ie. space, which is the base of the game. I enjoy competing with others, and there is already no way for someone like me to do that against someone who just gets hits credit card, spends his money and buying all those things I worked for hard.
Imo paying should only give you non relevant things, like some games do (ie. cosmetics, badges etc.), but that's for another topic. I understand nobody does this out of good will, they want to get money, so I make my peace with it, but only as long as there is still a light chance, that with hard work and tenacity I can still be somewhat successful.

Whatever, these are my 2 (or 100) cents anyway :P