• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Why is it possible for you to ignore Friends?

• Thread starter DeletedUser102740
  • Start date

DeletedUser102740

Hello,
From the gaps in conversation in Global chat I realised that somebody who was on my friends list had me on ignore, meaning I couldn't read what they were writing.
Obviously I de-friended them. I'm just curious why you allow players to have their friends on ignore. Surely you should make the person doing the ignoring de-friend the person they wish to ignore rather than allow them to merrily receive tavern visits and aid while the poor ignored patsy doesn't realise the person secretly loathes them.

DeletedUser6838

Doesn't it work the other way around? If someone ignores you, HE/SHE wont see what you write, you still will see what he/she writes, if you can't see what a certain person writes then the one who's ignoring is most likely yourself.

Why shouldn't we be able to ignore friends :o? I mean, even friends can be annoying every now and then and there are times when you just want them to shut up or leave ya alone for a bit, thus ignore, you can always reverse it when you think you don't feel annoyed anymore =d

DeletedUser102740

Hello vexeen, thank you for replying to my complaint.
The Ignore function in-game works both ways, meaning that not only can the person not see what I write, but I cannot see what they write. This is different from the chat apps of the early 00s where Ignore just meant the person being ignored was invisible to the person doing the ignoring. Here, the person doing the ignoring is also rendered invisible to the person they are ignoring.
I never contacted this person, they just ignored me in Global chat which I find mean spirited as I was going out of my way to check their tavern for a seat several times a day.
Personally, unless someone chatting online is obviously a spam bot, I will never ignore them and I have been chatting online since 1995. I like to know everything that is going on and am interested in every opinion and mode of expression.
Anyhow, it is interesting to know that you feel it is valuable to ignore people who go out of their way to help you based on a particular mood.
I am not going to spend any more money on this game because I find this functionality mean spirited.

DeletedUser

The Ignore function in-game works both ways, meaning that not only can the person not see what I write, but I cannot see what they write.
You sure about that? As far as I know, several people have ignored me in chat and I can still see them.

DeletedUser100065

Actually you can see what the person who has ignored you writes. They just don't see what you write. And the reason you can ignore friends is because that's your choice you don't want to ignore a friend simply don't select ignore on the friend. If you find it mean spirited cos someone has ignored you then why would you want to be friends with them anyway?

several people have ignored me in chat
It's their loss

DeletedUser

Actually you can see what the person who has ignored you writes. They just don't see what you write.
As I suspected, glad to see it hasn't been changed from back in the day :)

It's their loss
I'm quite certain they had their reasons, hahah! And they're just the ones that did me the small courtesy of telling me they were ignoring me in advance :lol:

I'm just curious why you allow players to have their friends on ignore.
Well, I generally wouldn't put anyone on Ignore (I'm too much of a nosy cow) but if, for example, I had someone on my friends list who was a good, reliable aider but had a habit of wittering on incessantly on global, then I can see why someone might consider it!

DeletedUser102740

Hmmm, it is good to have confirmation from an actual mod that ignore does not work both ways. Thank you for that.
I must be losing the plot in a major way because in many instances I have seen chat from people on Global to other unseen parties and I don't have anybody on ignore.
I was parroting information from this post by FacetiousMike
At the moment, the only way to stop getting a message from someone is to "Ignore" them via the chat window. An ignored player cannot send you in-game messages, or see your activity on chat. Unfortunately, the only way at the moment to be able to ignore a player is via global chat.
on this thread https://forum.en.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/how-to-block-report.23084/
Very sorry for perpetuating misleading posts from seemingly respectable members on this forum :(

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Very sorry for perpetuating misleading posts from seemingly respectable members on this forum :(
No need to apologise; that genuinely is a misleading post. However, it is also a VERY old one. I would hesitate to take for granted any information on a thread as old as this one. For all we know, that COULD have been true at the time (although I have my doubts). If the only information you can find is say, more than a year old, I'd be inclined to start a new thread. So much can change over the course of time. Just my two cents :)