• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Message Center Diaster

DeletedUser101006

Just adding my tuppence to the thread...

The new messaging system is fatally flawed. Change it NOW.

It's nice that it's now on mobile devices, but the downsides of the whole leave/notify FIASCO are simply not worth it. Reading how the players on the beta server fed back their extreme displeasure and yet the devs ignored them - stinks. Really stinks.

Come on guys. Get it together and listen to your players.

DeletedUser106060

just checking back to see what others have said and can't find my earlier post from Monday or Tuesday - so just to register an opinion - the new system sucks. Why do we need to know when someone leavers a thread? Why can we not cust and past the names any more (I have the names of players in a wrd document so I can copy and paste them rather than writing them out each time - but can't do that now). Why do we need at least three clicks to delete a message rather than the one button we used to have.
I came back from a weeks holiday to find 35 pages of messages 'cos all of my "out box" had been dumped into the one message box. I had to spend 2 hours deleting them and spamming those I'd sent them to.

Come on Inno - give us back the old system if you can't come up with something better. One of the bid appeals of this game was the chatting between guild members - that's now at an end, the game is in danger of loosing players in swarms very quickly.

DeletedUser914

Come on Inno - give us back the old system if you can't come up with something better. One of the bid appeals of this game was the chatting between guild members - that's now at an end, the game is in danger of loosing players in swarms very quickly.

I just lost a guild member with the recent "updates" as reason. :(

DeletedUser58910

Yet more critical feedback, and disgust at the lack of a proper answer from Inno, or any sign that they give a damn about the current userbase of this game. What's also glaringly absent is the lack of response to this issue from any of the support team except poor Tankovy, who they leave to field all enquiries. Darkstar and co, come out of your hideyhole and explain this howler of an 'improvement' to our game, if you would be so kind!

DeletedUser98639

We more than understand that most of you are not happy with the new messaging system. Please know that we have been forwarding your feedback to the development team. Currently on BETA, a fix has been implemented so that when "xxx leaves the conversation," it will no longer causes the thread to jump to the top of the list and no longer shows as a notification on the overview. You will still see which players leave the conversation, it just will not bump the thread. Please keep in mind that this system is not yet complete and additional features will continued to be added over time.

DeletedUser99692

We more than understand that most of you are not happy with the new messaging system. Please know that we have been forwarding your feedback to the development team. Currently on BETA, a fix has been implemented so that when "xxx leaves the conversation," it will no longer causes the thread to jump to the top of the list and no longer shows as a notification on the overview. You will still see which players leave the conversation, it just will not bump the thread. Please keep in mind that this system is not yet complete and additional features will continued to be added over time.

This will not resolve the problem a clean way of leaving / deleting a message thread needs to be found. To have to scroll past a dozen X has left the conversation to see the last valid comment on a conversation is equally irritating. Also has anyone considered the personal privacy aspect should it really be broadcast to all and sundry that you are withdrawing from a debate regardless of the topic

DeletedUser108240

Am I on a Beta server? I did not ask to be on one.

The basal messaging paradigm is papermail as sent via the post office.
You address it to ONE person, and that ONE person get it, and hopefully respond. Nobody else get to read it.

This seems to be an entirely different paradigm Inno have introduced. If people are to understand and use mail again it must be thoroughly introduced and explained.

Remember Aero, it was nowhere near as strong a shift as this. Folders flying over the screen instead of staying still in alphabetical order.
Do you use Aero? Do you know ANYONE who use Aero?
There was a lot of little things wrong with Aero (excessive CPU usage, assuming users had only 5-10 files and subfolders in each folder, etc.) but it could potentially have been a success, those moving rainbows looked kinda pretty. But all Microsoft did was develop it and then present it with an "isnt this cool?". and that is the one thing it was not. Just weird. Nobody could see a reason to like it, so nobody did. It demanded that people think of storage in new ways and told them to learn the new ways. Instead everyone said "I want 'Classic' mode just like Windows 97 only without all the errors and crashes".

And I say the same thing here. So far all I have understood of the new messaging system is that it is spammy, confusing and useless.
Currently my guild have a 'group mail' going that include a conversation i had with another player before I even joined the guild. That feels like a huge violation of privacy even though the conversation is innocent enough, just setting up some trades.

There is no way this will ever be a success unless people learn (and accept) the new paradigm. If there is one.

love Villow

This will not resolve the problem a clean way of leaving / deleting a message thread needs to be found. To have to scroll past a dozen X has left the conversation to see the last valid comment on a conversation is equally irritating. Also has anyone considered the personal privacy aspect should it really be broadcast to all and sundry that you are withdrawing from a debate regardless of the topic
I dont think people know whether they are just closing the message window, or deleting the conversation from their mailbox. there is a 'close' button at the bottom of the message window and a standard rer 'X' up in the top right corner, which way of retreating does what?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser108240

Last edited by byeordie; Yesterday at 22:00. Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Now that is cool. Thank you :D

If a similar service could be built into the messaging system the new 'features might start being useful. Alas that would require a context sensitive examination of every post so related posts got grouped together. We cannot make AIs anywhere near that good yet. and employing people to do it for every group-thread would be way too expensive.

But it also gave me the clue needed to comprehend the new messaging paradigm. It is a cocktail party. You know, where everyone is talking at the top of thieir lungs and nobody is listening to a word that is said. That can be fun, but again it needs more than this. Plenty of booze and a large nr of pretty hostesses circulating and working to get people 'into it'. Embassies and corporations can afford the booze and hostesses, I doubt Inno can. And of course a cocktail party is a social function, it is not supposed to be any kind of productive.

love Villow

DeletedUser11280

hi i think the fact there has been a slight improvement in the message system is a good one thanyou for thinking a little about it INNO.

How ever why is there a need to record who has left a thread if they have not used the leave the group ( i could understand if the people who left the group was listed .

from time to time we just leave a message as we do not want to read it that used to work fine on the old system , nothing was recorded, the world of FOE just kept on going as normal no one got upset etc.

So why record and interrupt the flow when people leave a thread / message yet stay in the group?

I know this message system is evolving but what i also do not understand is did INNO not realise that the feelings about the message system would be multiplied vastly if they implemented it on the main servers without some fine tuning?

So please please INNO game developers change the need to record that some one leave a thread and stays in the group?
leaving the group is another matter entirely?
Geoff

DeletedUser16026

How ever why is there a need to record who has left a thread if they have not used the leave the group ( i could understand if the people who left the group was listed .
As one of the goals with this new message system is to make the recipient lists more dynamic (players can leave conversations, in the future founders/leaders will be able to add or remove players from a list) I believe the developers wanted to reflect these changes in a manner that's easily accessible to the player. It would have been a pain to have to check the recipient list every time you want to see if someone has dropped out of the conversation, is that not right?

Deleting messages without leaving the conversation, as a way to keep your inbox clean, would be a different feature. At this time we cannot confirm if it will be implemented, but as part of player feedback we have already brought it up as one of the more popular suggestions for the message system.

DeletedUser99692

As one of the goals with this new message system is to make the recipient lists more dynamic (players can leave conversations, in the future founders/leaders will be able to add or remove players from a list) I believe the developers wanted to reflect these changes in a manner that's easily accessible to the player. It would have been a pain to have to check the recipient list every time you want to see if someone has dropped out of the conversation, is that not right?

Deleting messages without leaving the conversation, as a way to keep your inbox clean, would be a different feature. At this time we cannot confirm if it will be implemented, but as part of player feedback we have already brought it up as one of the more popular suggestions for the message system.

Sorry but I must disagree we select who we want to inform either as individuals or as a group. What they choose to do with that information should be their concern not the entire groups. I believe that the developers wished to encourage the reduction of stored mail but that will backfire as Founders request guilds not to leave conversations just to let them deteriorate.

However I do thank you for passing our feedback on a delete facility to them Darkstar In all honesty this is the Main Bugbear of this update. As Founders and leaders we have had to force our guilds into restricting their interaction to basic threads. This has effectively killed all spontaneous interaction. This is not a single player game friendship and community are basic necessitates this update was counterproductive in the extreme.

DeletedUser

Another EXTREMELY IRRITATING "feature" of the new mailing system is that we are now limited to the length of our posts (20 line breaks/paragraphs & 5000 characters). This prevents the mailing of the Guild Rules to people outside the Guild for their agreement when they ask for entry to the Guild. These limits need to be removed immediately since its making it IMPOSSIBLE to run a Guild properly as most Guild Founders want to.

The changes which have been implemented on the Beta server while going partway to rectifying the currently unusable system are good but they dont go far enough IMHO.

As for the "xxx has left the thread" problem..... maybe it should be made so that only the person who started that thread can see who has left it. That way things like important Guild Mails can be monitored by the Leadership of that Guild (which may have been the aim of it in the first place).

SHELOB

DeletedUser103132

Another EXTREMELY IRRITATING "feature" of the new mailing system is that we are now limited to the length of our posts (20 line breaks/paragraphs & 5000 characters). This prevents the mailing of the Guild Rules to people outside the Guild for their agreement when they ask for entry to the Guild. These limits need to be removed immediately since its making it IMPOSSIBLE to run a Guild properly as most Guild Founders want to.

The changes which have been implemented on the Beta server while going partway to rectifying the currently unusable system are good but they dont go far enough IMHO.

As for the "xxx has left the thread" problem..... maybe it should be made so that only the person who started that thread can see who has left it. That way things like important Guild Mails can be monitored by the Leadership of that Guild (which may have been the aim of it in the first place).

SHELOB

disaster not going into detail other than it has made it imposible to run my guilds i have given up messaging as has most of the active players gvg has ground to a halt cant find important messages spammed to death with rubbish // ? has left the conversation doing my head in, conversations with friends gone , need i go on and many are ready to pack the game in. whoever thought this was a good idea wants hanging up by there fingernails lol, but all enjoyment has gone out of the guild and needs addressing , NOW

DeletedUser103132

disaster not going into detail other than it has made it imposible to run my guilds i have given up messaging as has most of the active players gvg has ground to a halt cant find important messages, spammed to death with rubbish // ? has left the conversation doing my head in, conversations with friends gone , need i go on and many are ready to pack the game in. whoever thought this was a good idea wants hanging up by there fingernails lol, but all enjoyment has gone out of the guild and needs addressing , NOW !!!
I WOULD HAPPILY HAVE THE OLD SYSTEM BACK MUCH MUCH BETTER THAN THIS, i am not happy

DeletedUser

SHELOB

The line and character limit is associated with the message system being compatable with all apps and is unlikely to be changed, we will however pass on your comments.

DeletedUser

The line and character limit is associated with the message system being compatable with all apps and is unlikely to be changed, we will however pass on your comments.

Just a suggestion from me then if you are passing feedback to the devs on this issue Tracey..... since the "Game" is able to detect whether or not a player is using the iOS app etc etc surely this limit could be disabled for those of us who dont use them..... its not after all rocket science.... just needs some joined up thinking.

SHELOB

DeletedUser99588

Just a suggestion from me then if you are passing feedback to the devs on this issue Tracey..... since the "Game" is able to detect whether or not a player is using the iOS app etc etc surely this limit could be disabled for those of us who dont use them..... its not after all rocket science.... just needs some joined up thinking.

SHELOB

If a player not using the App was to make a longer message what happens about the App user being able to read it? The idea of the new message system is for it to be equal for all and unfortunately that has been to the detriment of the browser users in some areas. I have severe criticism for how the message system has been introduced before it was ready but there was always going to have to be some trade offs for all the platforms to be compatible.