• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

PvP active/neutral flag for players

patrick3377

Corporal
Just copy/paste from the thread where posted it originally. Wonder what you all think.

Proposal:
Implement a PvP flag to players. When you attack/plunder someone, you're flagged for pvp for a period of 1 week (as an example) and others can plunder you... after the period the flag will expire and you're pvp neutral again. With the flag set to Neutral, you can be attacked but not plundered.

People that never attack & plunder will never be flagged for pvp, so they can build in peace... Only problem is if a PvP person land in a hood that is very very peaceful - as this would mean no plunder at all till hood change.

That flag could be turned ON by a player (even this peace-lover) and turned OFF at any time, given no PvP action was taken. Why?
Simple - you may be a builder, without offensive army, still you may try yourself and prove to pvp'ers that you're strong enough to keep them at a bay.

Have you Checked ...?
I haven't seen similar idea

Reason:
Just to let plunder-sensitive players, and those plundered 20 times a day an option to play + enjoy + progress. Also those bloodthirsty can compete with equal folks, not just feeding on non-pvp players.

Details:
I think i just explained it above

Visual Aids:
When you look at the hood list player's icon, you also see the rectangle in the left-top corner. Thing like that should indicate the PvP flag (blue for neutral, red for active)

Balance:
Will affect the current 'balance': the hood change may put you between much stronger players, and you're gone. Also it'll rebalance the profit from plunder vs goods produced, as it easy to plunder, and difficult to produce.

Abuse Prevention:
Depends what we think 'abuse'.

Summary:
I don't really want peaceful folks move to other worlds, but i know that unlimited plundering is something they don't really like and should be somehow limited.

Last edited:

DeletedUser99588

-1, PvP is part of the game and part of the strategy on how you build your city. Build your city so you can defend it to the best of your ability and set your collection of goods and supplies for when you can collect. There are numerous strategies to reduce plundering which is all part of the game so players need to put some effort in to learning them and implementing them.

We have all found ourselves in neighbourhoods where others have greater military strength and the better game players learn to adapt and make the most of the situation. The bottom line is if your an active player you should be able to get your houses and supplies protected through motivation and if you can't make time to pick up goods daily or every second day on time then I would suggest the problem has more to do with not having enough to time to play the game rather than PvP and the ability to plunder being at fault.

PvP works well enough as it is and the threat of plundering should motivate players to progress so they become strong enough to protect their city and able to retaliate against any that do manage to plunder.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser99445

Great idea for those who complain about being Plundered BUT -1 as it's fine as it is.

DeletedUser96901

I don't like ideas which discriminates a certain playing style:

in this case: fighters who don't plunder

why would it fair that non-fighters can't be plundered but fighters who don't plunder can be plundered ?

patrick3377

Corporal
Thanks for your input guys. It's always good to see what others think. I myself am not sure about the idea. However will try to defend it.

Personally I have no problem with plunder & PvP, however there are many players out there (including children, as it is a family game). The plunder-prevention techniques are not that good. If you work 8hrs a day, sleep 8 as well, and have other life-related activities including cleaning the house, shopping, cooking the dinner for children or whatever, you're not able to collect on time...

+1 for adaptation, however not all players can be that effective. For example, in 1 of my worlds I have Zeus lvl 7, and I am only IA - that's mean probably no one in my hood can stand against me if I decide to mercilessly plunder them every day. How could they adapt?

I used to be PvP active myself, and really like the competition, but we have to remember that some of our guildies/friends are not, or can't be effective in PvP. Anyway... what's the pleasure plundering someone that can't protect himself? I my self feel good only when fight someone strong and well prepared. Otherwise it's just points farming.

That's why I proposed the change - it'll not affect PvP'ers that much, I believe. For all whose enjoy PvP they can turn ON the flag and do compete, and I think many players will do that, as it gives some fun and adrenaline. On the other hand the same flag will prevent unfair competition and prevent abuse caused by those who don't really understand what the PvP is.

patrick3377

Corporal
I don't like ideas which discriminates a certain playing style:

in this case: fighters who don't plunder

why would it fair that non-fighters can't be plundered but fighters who don't plunder can be plundered ?

The flag can be turned on, when you plunder only. No discrimination intended

Last edited:

DeletedUser99588

Personally I have no problem with plunder & PvP, however there are many players out there (including children, as it is a family game). The plunder-prevention techniques are not that good. If you work 8hrs a day, sleep 8 as well, and have other life-related activities including cleaning the house, shopping, cooking the dinner for children or whatever, you're not able to collect on time...

If a player can't organise 5 mins each day or every other day to collect then maybe this isn't the game for them.

+1 for adaptation, however not all players can be that effective. For example, in 1 of my worlds I have Zeus lvl 7, and I am only IA - that's mean probably no one in my hood can stand against me if I decide to mercilessly plunder them every day. How could they adapt?

They adapt by ensuring they collect on time. Doesn't matter how often you attack or how strong your military is in comparison to others if there isn't any goods left around for the taking you can't plunder. They should concentrate on mot/pol getting BP's for GB's. A number of strategies can be used by either concentrating on getting attack GB's to go on the offensive. Defence GB's to deter attackers in the first place or GB's that provide goods as they can't be plundered. There's lots of other things that can be done as well but they have been discussed in other threads so will not repeat them.

I used to be PvP active myself, and really like the competition, but we have to remember that some of our guildies/friends are not, or can't be effective in PvP. Anyway... what's the pleasure plundering someone that can't protect himself? I my self feel good only when fight someone strong and well prepared. Otherwise it's just points farming.

I cannot answer the pleasure part to plundering as I do not get any pleasure from it myself. However I'm in guilds where others do seem to get pleasure from it so I guess its just down to different mindsets. Some do it because they are farming goods for GvG others to increase their own progress through the research tree. Now you need lower age goods to produce higher age goods it is obviously one strategy to implement to get those goods without having to build the lower goods buildings in your own city.

That's why I proposed the change - it'll not affect PvP'ers that much, I believe. For all whose enjoy PvP they can turn ON the flag and do compete, and I think many players will do that, as it gives some fun and adrenaline. On the other hand the same flag will prevent unfair competition and prevent abuse caused by those who don't really understand what the PvP is.

It will effect it for those that PvP to farm goods. I'm not sure what unfair competition means in relation to this game. Those that are further along with stronger cities have worked for it. We all start somewhere and have had to overcome similar experiences to progress. Those that complain about plundering should really be looking for a game that just incorporates city building. This isn't that game.

DeletedUser105579

-1 From me. Such ideas have been raised before. They have usually been heavily condemmed. PVP players rely on a flow of resources from the negligent side of their neighborhood. Perhaps a viable alternative is to inform players after their first time getting plundered to collect their stuff on time.

Just in case you didn't realize, many of the top half of a neighborhood are farmers. They rely on the points and the free resources. If you cannot keep up with your collections, set longer collection times and put up an actual army. also collect on time. I cannot stress this enough. Point made, there IS currently a solution to this problem, players just do not utilize it.

Patrick, if this problem is also in your guild, take the initiative and teach your peaceful guildmates for to collect on time and how to set up good defensive armies.

DeletedUser105078

+1 from me

I love your idea about the flags, Patrick... it would make it possible for peaceful players to coexist with fighters in all of the worlds

Maybe, to make it less of an overkill protection from plundering, the flags would need to be earned? It could be like a quest (similar to the Treasure Hunt): Aid/mot/pol a certain number of people - or spend diamonds - and you get the option to activate your protection-from-plundering "peaceful city" flag for a week, for example. You'd need to re-activate it at the end of the week by doing more Aid/mot/pol (or spending diamonds).

But as soon as you plundered another player, you'd lose the flag - as well as the quest to earn it - for a couple of months.

It would mean that players could be plundered when they became inactive, and by lengthening the period of time when a plunderer remains "plunderable", you also decrease the number of protected players.

Those who say it's so easy to avoid being plundered maybe have not been for a long time in iron age, where the max length of your houses is 4 hours. And as for collecting supplies and goods on time, even if you set your timer always at 24 hours, sometimes you might not be able to get online just at the right time. Plus, collection is not instantaneous... the time slips until it's too late at night to collect, then you have to set the 8 hour timer, which can make life difficult if you go to school or work. There are so many incidents in real life that can delay your collection: a phone call, an unexpected visit, extra work, ill health...

Besides, I was plundered once just a couple of minutes after collection time, while I had my finger poised to collect.

The fact is that, although the game must have been designed for fighters, it has ended up attracting a lot of peaceful players who enjoy building their cities and who get really upset when they are plundered. It's all very well for plunderers to say: "handle it, plundering is part of the game." The answer, then, is that people who don't like plundering or being plundered should not be playing this game.

On the other hand, if those who like plundering can stand the idea of living alongside peaceful players, and allow them to enjoy their game, maybe the flag idea is actually a brilliant solution :)

DeletedUser99445

Why don't the peaceful players go and play a peaceful game rather than turn this game into a peaceful game.
There are plenty of peaceful games out there and I don't turn up on them asking for them to be turned into aggressive games so could all you PEACEFUL Trouble makers go and play your peaceful games and leave us Aggressive players in PEACE!
Thankyou :)

DeletedUser2989

Why don't the peaceful players go and play a peaceful game rather than turn this game into a peaceful game.
There are plenty of peaceful games out there and I don't turn up on them asking for them to be turned into aggressive games so could all you PEACEFUL Trouble makers go and play your peaceful games and leave us Aggressive players in PEACE!
Thankyou :)

People have the right to suggest things to make the game more peaceful as much as others have to make the game more aggressive :) . The good thing about this ideas section is that everyone has the right to +1 or -1 ideas if they want to change or not, even then the last say is up to Inno.

As for my personal thoughts on the idea:
Not sure why anyone would actually turn their PvP flag on, only difference is that you can be plundered... I'd rather prove myself in safety :) (Guess I'm not that much of a risk taker). I'm not sure I like the whole "attacking turns it on" as I know a few who attack for points and/or the PvP comp and they never plunder. Forcing them to then become plunder targets seems like a bit of a punishment when what they did to you is really not that bad. However I understand that if no one has plundered then it'll never get turned on to thus enable plunder and so on... Certainly a tricky element that.

DeletedUser

But this should't be active for players who are peacefull in the neighbourhood, but are active and fight on the continent map ! There is one thing that I am wondering - what will happend with the medals tower ?

DeletedUser15432

I do not like this idea for all the reasons stated by other players, therefore, even though this is a well thought out idea, I personally give it a -1 score

DeletedUser105078

I agree that a distinction should be made between attacking and plundering. Attack without plunder should NOT trigger any flags; it doesn't hurt anyone, and the combat system in FOE is fun even for some peaceful players (like me) who enjoy the strategy aspect of combat. There are lots of players with notes on their profiles saying they only attack for points and don't plunder, so I'm not alone.

Therefore, I should qualify my +1 by saying that I think it's a brilliant idea but needs some tweaking.

I think there should be three coloured flags: red, yellow, green.

When your flag is red, you can be plundered. Plunder (only plunder, not attack) turns a flag from yellow to red. The flag remains red for 4 weeks - the period resets for another 4 weeks after each successful plunder. When the red period expires, the flag turns automatically yellow. While it's red, no amount of Aiding will will turn it yellow or green.

When your flag is yellow, you can be plundered. While it's yellow, if you Aid your whole neighbourhood your flag turns green and stays green for one week. At the end of the week, it automatically turns yellow again.

When your flag is green, you can't be plundered (BUT YOU CAN BE ATTACKED FOR TOURNAMENT POINTS!)

To conclude, you can attack AND plunder players with a red or yellow flag. You can attack but not plunder players with a green flag.

DeletedUser99445

People have the right to suggest things to make the game more peaceful as much as others have to make the game more aggressive :) .

No I disagree with this. No one has the right to make this game more peaceful but they do have the right to go and play a more peaceful game :)

DeletedUser2989

No I disagree with this. No one has the right to make this game more peaceful but they do have the right to go and play a more peaceful game :)

Technically it's not the players making it peaceful the devs would have to agree and say "we want to take the game in that direction and thanks for suggesting it". If the devs don't want to make the change they won't make it (even if it is popular). So it is well within the players right to suggest, another thing entirely if the devs accept.

This discussion though should move elsewhere as it's become more general rather than specific to the idea.

DeletedUser99445

Only Keeping it Light Tankovy. No need to worry about the technically. :)

DeletedUser105579

-1. (cause I forgot to -1 before) This game has three main engines. City layout/foresight, trading, and attacking. I would hate to see something happen that would potentially ruin 30 or so percent of the game

Something I am observing is a many lot of new players complain about the attack system. In what I have seen, older players who choose not to attack are neutral to the going on-s of the attacking element of the game. Perhaps what needs to be done is not this red-flag green-flag red-fish blue-fish sort of hampering, but a proper tutorial teaching a new player how to attack.

That's my five cents

DeletedUser

Although a nice idea to a certain degree, I just don't see this realistically panning out in the future.
Much appreciation for sharing your idea with us, Patrick :o