• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Neighborhood programming is pathetic

DeletedUser

Considering the amount of comments here, including the mod's "work with it", one would think the devs would remove their collective heads from the sand and fix a very long-standing problem.
My city is currently waiting in limbo, reduced to growth purely on coin, supplies, and research to build new structures. With only 170k points, I'd achieved 4800 battle wins, both in GvG and heavily in PvP...owning the 4 towers I was in. With the failure of a neighborhood structuring system, I'm forced to drop barracks I was using in order to level up much quick to stop some of the attacks I'm now getting from those 2 and 3 Ages above me. The irritating "how to avoid plundering" is great for newbies, but these replies and comments are coming from experienced players that understand the nuances of the game....like trying to teach fish how to swim.
The mods, who although try to some extent, are simply hockey goalies taking the shots while the devs collect paychecks for not really making the game as good as it could be. Not one dev has admitted that the program is seriously flawed. Instead, they roll out new issues to cover up the bad (and the new ones haven't always been very well thought out).
You can put a new coat of paint on a rusted car, but under that shiny paint...the car is still falling apart.
The consensus here has been unanimous, including the reluctant admittance from the mods that it's not correct.
Since BETA, this has been an issue. One need only look back at the forum from a couple years ago and see this same subject repeated over and over again.

Exactly when will we hear from a dev that someone is actually working on a solution?
...or is the sand too comfy around their heads?

DeletedUser102246

Neighborhood Mess... Err "Merge"

The Neighborhood Merge sorting algorithm is *Broken*. Bad neighborhoods probably chase away more players (and potential INCOME from INNO's coffers) than any other problem in the game.

Any merge system should take into consideration the power of GBs as well as tech level. In my current neighborhood:

Player #1: 185k points, HMA
Alcatraz Lev 7, Zeus Lev 7, CdM Lev 7, CoA Lev 5, Deal Lev 3, Basil Lev 4, Rogue Hideout, Watchtowers x 10, Monastery
Attacking +57%, City Defense +81%/+81%

Player #2: 50k points, HMA

Average Player in Hood (HMA - EMA, about 20k points)

Player #Last: 10k points, HMA

The same top player has been attacking and plundering daily for the last 7+ weeks. Several neighbors have been plundered into quitting and the neighborhood has barely changed in the last 4 merges. If anyone is a prime candidate for "moving up the ladder", it's this guy. So why is he still in my neighborhood?

DeletedUser99445

In My Hood:

Top Player is 15.5 Million Points and the bottom player is 3 thousand points though he is a PME player too.

Rosletyne

Warrant Officer
If anyone is a prime candidate for "moving up the ladder", it's this guy. So why is he still in my neighborhood?

You pretty much answered your own question - it is because Great Buildings are not taken into account when deciding neighbors. If your neighborhood consists of players in EMA and HMA, it is fairly balanced as far as the system is concerned. Also to be honest, I don't know why you would not be able to defend yourself if you have access to a similar level of technology. That player is not so powerful that you would not be able to force him to retreat, particularly if he depends on unattached units from Alcatraz. If you look at what he attacked with in replays and keep varying your defense, he will be forced to choose between sacrificing unattached units or leaving you alone.

Top Player is 15.5 Million Points and the bottom player is 3 thousand points though he is a PME player too.

This is just another example of the stupid bug or design flaw where player score is stored in two places. That bottom player definitely has a higher score than that, but the points he had gather before joining the neighborhood are not included in the neighborhood score.

DeletedUser1081

This is just another example of the stupid bug or design flaw where player score is stored in two places. That bottom player definitely has a higher score than that, but the points he had gather before joining the neighborhood are not included in the neighborhood score.

The way it's been explained to me, that player probably hasn't logged into the game since being moved to that 'hood. If/When s/he logs in his/her real score will show.

Rosletyne

Warrant Officer
The way it's been explained to me, that player probably hasn't logged into the game since being moved to that 'hood. If/When s/he logs in his/her real score will show.

This must be some sort of misunderstanding. I've had several such players as neighbors, including one right now, and in every case they have returned from inactivity and been added to the neighborhood between merges. When that happens, they are added to the end of the neighborhood with a score of zero, meaning their actual score is ignored. I have seen their score slowly rise as they play the game, but their score will only be updated to what it should be at the next merge.

I believe that this handling of returning players is in fact older than the present neighborhood merge system. The scores used to be updated every time the neighborhood bar was loaded, so you would only see players with a zero score once and reloading would fix it, but this was broken by a later update and never fixed.

Andrew420

Major
When you find a player has moved into hood with an advanced city and a rank of zero its obvious that score isn't real
If you want to know their real score look them up on the global rank list it is displayed there

DeletedUser97018

all i can say, there's something fishy going on in my hood.... :confused:

Screenshot_3.jpg

Amy Steele

General
Hmmm... you often get a score of zero or a very low score on a neighbourhood bar after a merge. This situation does correct itself after a few days, and the true score is always shown in global rankings, as various folk have said, but I have never seen a negative score in a neighbourhood bar before. :eek:

DeletedUser97018

lol had to refresh and hood came back to "normal"

Screenshot_4.jpg

i guess they saw it was too obvious he payed them off.... ;)

DeletedUser103478

Cheers FoE for stricking me in a new neighbour hood with people 4 ages above me and 5 MILLION god dam points ahead of me, after leaving my city for 7 hours while i sleep i come back and have been plundered 17 times by people i have NO god dam chance defending against or even getting a revenge back on them, just ruined the game for me, if i keep getting plundered by players that are so far advanced than me with tanks while i use bow and arrows is just god dam lame. can i have a refund on my diamonds please as i hate UNFAIR games, ill go find a different game to play, this now sucks.

DeletedUser9168

Hi mosin
please can i ask you - and anyone else who has received a really unbalanced hood merge today (containing a wide range of Ages/Eras of cities - not directly linked to points scores) - to contact the ingame support team. We need to gather as much information as possible in order to assist the developers to improve the current merge system.
To contact support, right click within your city or use the button at the top of this page FOE - support.
Thanks for your help.

Jampots
Senior Forum Moderator

DeletedUser1081

They should simply make it impossible to plunder anyone more than two ages earlier than one's own stage of development. As a compensation for the types who would feel deprived by that, they can boost the points one gets for beating tougher defense.

DeletedUser103478

Thanks Jampots, i have opened a ticket, thanks!.

Mink, would it not just be better to make it so only people who can defend and fight against fellow neighbor's be a lot more fair? an age at most apart? post modern era vs high middle ages is a joke, and this is what i have been put in this morning, not nice watching a replay of your defending army getting annihilated by tanks and not even getting one hit of on them.Tanks vs bow an arrows Epic merge.jpg << look epic battle whats the point of that?? lol

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser1081

Mosin, being attacked doesn't hurt anyone unless you get plundered. So I personally wouldn't remove the right to attack for points. I never plunder and I make a point of helping neighbours I get points from - I hope they notice and don't feel too much resentment.

Personally, I'd make attackers choose between points and plunder (either it's a tournament or it's a mugging - not both!); and as I say I think even then plunder should not be possible unless the victim is within two ages of the attacker. (I'd make it one age, but too many players would screech.)

Oh yeah, and when people choose points rather than plunder, the polivating options should be available. Like shaking an opponent's hand after a tennis tournament.

DeletedUser103478

well they are plundering and the dude that attacked me in that pic is just 2 places above me in the neighbor hood, am i exempt from being able to attack people for points also? as i have 0 chance of beating that army, thats is not balanced and far from it, if they attack me then i should be able to attack back not be some mug at the bottom end of the neighbor hood for the other 84 people to come and attack and plunder at wish with no cost to them at all as i cant even get 1 hit of on them?, if thats your idea of a fair game then god help any new comer to the game, hardly going to stick around are they?

DeletedUser1081

Mosin, I'm not saying I support the idea of anyone plundering you - au contraire. I'm also not in charge of the rules or the mechanics of the game - if I were the kind of thing you describe wouldn't be possible. So please don't raise your blood pressure arguing with me - basically I agree with you, but that doesn't change anything.

However, it's still the case that unless the attacker plunders you they are not doing any harm by attacking.

DeletedUser97155

well they are plundering

Wow! plundering is for sad acts as it is without someone taking stuff from a guy 4 ages below them !!

I've posted on here before that I've long since just accepted the hood system but I'm reading through this today on the back of being shoved into 79th place in a hood and being attacked at will (I don't know if any of those guys would have plundered as I've been online) Accepting the offer to contact the developers made a few posts back wouldn't help as I'm only one age below the highest ranked player ... difference is though he has 9 million more points than me ( Nine Million !!)- there's very little I can do to protect myself !

I would really like to know how you are selected to be top of a hood - I've never ever been anywhere near the top of any hood I've been in, I've always been middle to bottom - there are folk playing this game 3 or 4 ages below me who are top of their hoods, attacking and plundering as they go ... it really rips my knitting !!!

DeletedUser103478

My blood pressure is not being raised and im not arguing, just stating fact, and all aspects of the game should be able to be done, but when im put in a neighbor hood full of players 3 - 4 ages above me running around with tanks while i have little men with sticks thats going to take me at least 2- 3 months to be able to attack / even defend against is wrong and unfair. so for the next lets just say 3 months of spending every forge point on my tech tree i CANT earn 1 single pvp medal? so for 3 months i cant play the game as its meant to be played, a pvp game am i right? i had enough of a challenge in my old hood with players 1 age above me where i was 23 rd in the neighbor hood, now im 85 th and every one above me is in post modern age + while im in high middle ages.... im able to beat 0 players in my hood while they can all just come roll over me laughing that i dont even get a hit off???

don't forget also that every hour that goes by they also get FP's to progress so in theory ill never be able to beat them...... or even challenge them

DeletedUser100341

@mosin, you've only been playing since June. I've been playing since January. Although I can't say its been as bad as you've experienced, but in the beginning I was attacked, defeated and plundered more so than I have been recently. A couple of good GBs to boost your attack helps to retaliate. And some special buildings like monestry and watchfires helps to boost your defense. Eventually both help to discourage neighbors from attacking you. It all comes with time. I don't know why your getting mixed in with players of such advanced age as yours. I've typically been merged with players around my age. Luck of the draw I guess. Maybe next merge, I'll have to throw some stones at tanks. But don't get discouraged. Even the most advanced players have probably gone through it. A lot of things about this game are frustrating at first and seem unfair. I've overcome my frustrations. Once you resign yourself to the fact, that's the way it is, you'll begin to figure out ways to make it work. Don't give up. Forge on.